Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Transmission Failure

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Ncc 
#1 ·
Hello
My first post for my 2010 rav4 (never had any problem)
I took my (wife) car to the shop for the usual brake and oil change
The receipt says they have checked and topped all the fluids,and less then a month later the transmission failed
is there a negligence by the shop mechanic ?
I tried to contact the shop but they don't reply
Are they accountable ?
could so easily been avoided
I`ll appreciate any feedback
Best
Ncc

#2 ·
Without you having checked the transmission fluid level/condition either before or after you brought it in....not much you can do. Could just be a complete coincidence.
Did you have it fixed? If so, what did they say the cause was? Was there any fluid in it at failure? Did it seem to work ok before you brought it in?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply
The car worked fine without any issues until now
A friend mechanic came to the house and says,it's worth repairing it (164.000 miles)
It has to be check at the transmission shop
The car loss transmission power at the stop light and got towed home
no leaks,transmission fluid is brownish and smelling burnt
The gears grinds for a while then stop but they are unusable
while in park without turning on the engine the car won't move
when the mechanic says to have checked the fluid, could he have seen the discoloration of the transmission fuel?
Best
Ncc

#4 ·
My understanding of "topping off fluid" means mainly making sure the washer fluid is full, may be coolant and brake fluid as well, but never transmission fluid, unless you specifically ask to change it out. Was the transmission fluid ever changed / flushed out within the 164k miles? You may want to go back to the shop in person with your friend mechanic and explain the situation, see how they respond, this way, you'll have a witness.

#6 ·
Well you are new here Ncc and we don't know if you are familar with car maintenance. Transmission fluid should be changed every 60,000 miles or less under certain conditions. Changing the transmission fluid usually does not result in transmission failure if the fluid is healthy. If your transmission fluid is not good it would be hanging for dear life. When the transmission fluid has not been changed for a long time the grit is holding the gears together. When the grit is removed and new fluid is added the gears will slip and that is when your transmission goes. The problem is many owners don't understand all this and know the risk involved. This is what I call the point of no return and only you know how the car has been driven in what driving conditions. Here are a few things that reduce the life of the fuild: short trips less than 8 km, frequent driving on mountainous roads, driving in dusty roads, and towing. On top of that extreme heat can over heat the transmission oil.

#8 ·
I agree. Transmission fluid change is a mystery to many car owners. It doesn't help that Toyota makes it worst by not putting information in US models when to change the transmission fluid. Lucky for Canadian owners we do have it. In addition to that the dipstick has a misleading label of not needing to change the fluid. On the newer RAV4 starting in 2013 there is no transmission dip stick. Can you imagine how more confusing that will be.

#9 ·
In my experience with shops and dealerships checking and topping off all the fluids that does not include the transmission, but instead involves the coolant, windshield washer fluid, and brake fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.