Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 with almost 50k on it. Nowhere can I find information on transmission fluid change intervals (don't have the owners manual readily accesible.. it's somewhere in a box when I cleaned out the car while it was getting the new engine). Anyone here have a recommendation? I don't tow anything but it's over 5 years old now and I worry.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Linds,

Your Ok, :)

The Toyota Repair/ Service Manual says

Standard Transmission every, 30,000K or 2 years
Auto Transmission every 60,000K 4 years
(Toyota Transmission fluid )

If you have 4WD than don’t forget:

Rear differential & transfer case every, 30,000 or 2years
( I use aftermarket synthetic for these 2, Amsoil or Mobil 1 )

Hopefully when I find the time I will post an easy to read full maintenance schedule in the maintenance section.

Cheers, Walt

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
waltrav said:
Linds,

Your Ok, :)

The Toyota Repair/ Service Manual says

Standard Transmission every, 30,000K or 2 years
Auto Transmission every 60,000K 4 years
(Toyota Transmission fluid )

If you have 4WD than don’t forget:

Rear differential & transfer case every, 30,000 or 2years
( I use aftermarket synthetic for these 2, Amsoil or Mobil 1 )

Hopefully when I find the time I will post an easy to read full maintenance schedule in the maintenance section.

Cheers, Walt
my rav is certified free owned at 33k (now its 40k miles)....do you think i need to do transmission oil now? i really dont know if they do transmission fluid change at 33k.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
my RAV is certified free owned at 33k (now its 40k miles)....do you think i need to do transmission oil now? i really dont know if they do transmission fluid change at 33k.
Can you call your dealer more info?
Is it a Manual or Automatic?
4WD or 2Wd?

To date I have done most of the servicing and keep an organized multiple folder, with reciepts and info inserted into different maintenace sections.
1. is to cover my ass for warranty
2. is if i did sell it (which is unlikely) than the new owner has all the facts.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
waltrav said:
my RAV is certified free owned at 33k (now its 40k miles)....do you think i need to do transmission oil now? i really dont know if they do transmission fluid change at 33k.
Can you call your dealer more info?
Is it a Manual or Automatic?
4WD or 2Wd?

To date I have done most of the servicing and keep an organized multiple folder, with reciepts and info inserted into different maintenace sections.
1. is to cover my ass for warranty
2. is if i did sell it (which is unlikely) than the new owner has all the facts.
its automatic and 4wd.

i'll try to call them, but in-case they did not do transmission fluid change my car is already in trouble?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
First, I made 2 mistakes :roll:

1. Transfer Case & Rear Differention oil should be changed every
15,000 miles or 1 year

2. & sorry about the K's (used to typing Kilometers)

Portege_RAV4, You should not have a problem if you are at 40,000 miles. The manual calls for a change at 60,000 or 4 years.
Just make sure the Transfer Case & Rear Diff oils ar changed every 15,000 miles.

My vehicle does only 3,500 miles in one year so i do extend some of the Dates abit. As for my Tranny it will be done within at the 4 year time but will only have 14,000 miles on it.

Walt

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm planning to change my Transm. fluid sometime soon. I'm thinking of driving the back wheels over ramps, or just jack up the rear side of the car. I'm hoping this will help drain more fluid out of the Transmission.

Has anyone tried this, will it work? I'll let you know when I'm done.

Cheers!

Philo

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Philo,
Generally for all oil or liquids I believe it is best preformed level for when they engineer the pans drain point it usually is at lowest point when level.
Are you going to only drain, or are you going to do a flush?

Should not be hard to do a flush. From what I recall reading I believe all you need to do is empty the pan / refill / disconnect the fuel system / take off the return oil feed and put it into a large jug / then crank, add & measure, crank, add measure. Put the fuel system back on.

Cheers, :D Walt

·
Registered
132 Posts
waltrav said:
Philo,
Generally for all oil or liquids I believe it is best preformed level for when they engineer the pans drain point it usually is at lowest point when level.
Are you going to only drain, or are you going to do a flush?

Should not be hard to do a flush. From what I recall reading I believe all you need to do is empty the pan / refill / disconnect the fuel system / take off the return oil feed and put it into a large jug / then crank, add & measure, crank, add measure. Put the fuel system back on.

Cheers, :D Walt
Maybe, but I don't think that's the case for the Automatic Transmission, otherwise it would've been a lot easier to fully drain it (like you would on a manual transm.). Didn't someone say that a large portion of the fluid is retained within the gear housing, etc.... I'm just guessing (and hoping) that if you tilt the rear up a it might (won't know til I do it) help drain more of the fluid away from the gears towards the pan....

As you may have already suspected, I'm leaning towards that "drain" job (probably do it over the next 3-5 times I do an oil change), and save me from all those steps you enumerated.. I wonder if blowing air through the fill tube will help "flush" out more of the fluid... Isn't that "special-flushing -machine" (used at the dealership) virtually just an air compressor?

Anyway, we'll see what happens when we get there....

Cheers!

Philo

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phourwheel said:
As you may have already suspected, I'm leaning towards that "drain" job (probably do it over the next 3-5 times I do an oil change), and save me from all those steps you enumerated.. I wonder if blowing air through the fill tube will help "flush" out more of the fluid... Isn't that "special-flushing -machine" (used at the dealership) virtually just an air compressor?
The machine is a pump, which will force transmission fluid through the system. The recommended change interval of 60k is for "drain and fill", which usually only replaces about 20% of total fluid in the system.

Many modern vehicles have "lifetime" transmission fluid as manufacturer's realized that transmission fluid would be the last reason for a transmission dying.

It is far from a maintenance item that needs to be followed closely.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a 02 Auto Rav4 awd, is the transfer case & front differential
the same thing or is it 2 different things? I did the rear differential fluid change myself but couldn't get to the transfer case because space was too tight. So I took it to the dealer to do the transfer case(quoted $35.(cdn) with tax) Got a phone call from the dealer later that transfer case is connected to the transmission which means they have to change both fluids. And the front differential can be done by itself. My bill came to $151.56(cdn) for transmission/transfer case/front differential. On the invoice, it show 2 liters for transfer case & 2 liters for front different & I told him that the my manual & Service manual both shows that it takes
0.9 of a liter. And he tells me that they do this everyday & they know what they are doing. :roll:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just did mine today

I was getting my 05 Rav4 inspected so I went ahead and had them do the fluid change. I got billed $105 (US). Invoice didn't say how much fluid but it was listed as...Complete Drive Line Service. Drain and refill front and rear differentials. Drain and refill transmission.

philrav4 said:
I have a 02 Auto RAV4 awd, is the transfer case & front differential
the same thing or is it 2 different things? I did the rear differential fluid change myself but couldn't get to the transfer case because space was too tight. So I took it to the dealer to do the transfer case(quoted $35.(cdn) with tax) Got a phone call from the dealer later that transfer case is connected to the transmission which means they have to change both fluids. And the front differential can be done by itself. My bill came to $151.56(cdn) for transmission/transfer case/front differential. On the invoice, it show 2 liters for transfer case & 2 liters for front different & I told him that the my manual & Service manual both shows that it takes
0.9 of a liter. And he tells me that they do this everyday & they know what they are doing. :roll:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
First off, transmission fluid heats up and brakes down, and gets contaminated like any other lubricant so stick toToyota’s maintinance schedual.
Secondly I believe a partial oil change is more than 20%, probably at least 40%. So it would take a few times to change.

Drive info 4WD:

-Front Transmission with an incorporated Front differential
-Transfer case attached to the Transmission but its fluids are separate. (No need to change at same time)
-Rear Differential.

Fluid Specs:

Transmission Automatic 3.5 Quarts, 4WD standard 5.3 Q, 2WD 4.1 standard
Transfer Case .9 Liter
Rear Diff .9 Liter

Also Pay more and get Mobil 1 or Amsoil for your Transfer Case and Rear Differential. Use Toyota’s ATF for the tranny.

Philrav4, the transfer case is a bit of a Bit#$#, so next time by a 1” wrench and take off your Passenger tire and you have about 4" slot on the side to get in there. You may also be able to remove the bolt head on over the muffler with sockets & universal but I did not have a 1” socket at the time.

Cheers, Walt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
So the front differential & transfer case is the same thing.
No. The Front differential is apart of the Transmission.

Think of it this way.
Inbewteen the front 2 wheels there is a Front differential (part of the tranny) and inbetween the back 2 wheels there is a Rear differential.
and inbetween the 2 differentials but apart of the rearside housing of the transmission there is a transfercase that contrals the transfer of power from front and back.
Even if the Transfer Case is apart of the Tranny housing, it uses seperate oil.

Hope I cleared that up.

Walt :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
No problem.

The differential takes Gear oil. I think it is 75W-90.
I used Mobil 1 synthetic, but next time i might use AMSOIL Synthetic because it is far easier to find and even abit cheeper here in Toronto.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, do we need a plain ATF replacement or a drain and flush?
Apparently, the former results in only 3-4 quarts of the ATF being replaced.
Some reports suggest the latter can be detrimental to the tranny?
Discuss!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I prefer to do a full flush. The problem that you probably heard of is when a Tranny has been badly neglected from not changing the Fluid. It may have loose ground metal that are holding some parts in place. But if your tranny is in that state it will be going soon anyhow.

The other alternative, replacement done several times, works too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts