Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Is grey ATF normal

• Yes, I have that and it's normal.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, mine is pink like it's supposed to be.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No, but I've heard of this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am interested in getting a Toyota Rav4 and was looking to purchase one used. I drove a automatic 2011 Rav4 with 122k miles that I'm interested in, and everything went great until I looked at the transmission fluid.

The ATF was a grey color, and after mentioning it- the guy said that is normal for Toyota vehicles. I've typically only seen the pink/red transmission fluid and I've never heard of it being grey except if there's huge issues with your transmission.

Is this true? Is it a normal thing for Toyotas to have grey ATF?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hello,
I am interested in getting a Toyota Rav4 and was looking to purchase one used. I drove a automatic 2011 Rav4 with 122k miles that I'm interested in, and everything went great until I looked at the transmission fluid.

The ATF was a grey color, and after mentioning it- the guy said that is normal for Toyota vehicles. I've typically only seen the pink/red transmission fluid and I've never heard of it being grey except if there's huge issues with your transmission.

Is this true? Is it a normal thing for Toyotas to have grey ATF?
No, grey is NOT normal for transmission fluid. I'd want all that grey stuff out, replaced with Toyota fluid and THEN drive it and see how it shifts. I'd also be a bit wary of whoever told you grey was ok. Otherwise move on.....

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Absolute Bull$hit to the max. It's likely normal for a vehicle with 122K when the fluid has never been changed. Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I have never seen grey color so that sounds bad. The original fluid is reddish color. If it has never been replaced it may look brownish red which is still safe. If I was looking at it I would pass (red flag!) since a transmission is expensive to fix next after the engine. Why gamble when you can find one that is much better condition?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a 2011 RAV4 V-6 Limited with 90,000 miles and the transmission fluid was dirty and needed replacing - also, have them check your rear differential fluid - it also is a maintenance priority.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts