Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is there a way to drain the automatic transmission fluid without removing the pan/filter? As in.. Is there a plug somewhere? I can't seem to locate it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,832 Posts
It should be there on the pan. It might not look like an oil drain plug, it may be an allen head screw recessed in there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the plug! It's a 10mm hex key.

Anyone know how much fluid does the automatic transmission hold?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think I had six quarts on hand when I did mine, but I don't know how many I used.

FYI -- I always drop the pan, clean it and the magnets, flatten/reverse-indent the bolt holes, and install a new filter and pan gasket. I typically use the FRAM filter/gasket kit; rockauto.com sells them.

Also, the torque converter (TC) holds a lot of fluid, so draining/dropping the pan only gets about half of the total fluid. Older TCs had drain plugs on them too, but I doubt the RAV4's does.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is impossible to drain all the fluid from the transmission, converter and coolant lines. About 30-40% of fluid will remain in the transmission, so you will not be doing a complete oil change, but that is OK, even 60-70% is better than nothing (once it is due to be changed).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts