Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just put in 3.5 bottles of Redline MT-90 gear oil into the transmission. I change them out because I like to have everything synthetic in my car. I think the time was right to put in synthetic oil in my transmission. Anyhow, after all, the shifting of my 5-sp felt pretty good.

The car has only 3500km but the oil already developed an extremely dark brown color. I was wondering was the oil dark color at the first place or those worn out metal contents.

From the difficulty from 1(easy) to 5(tough). I think it was 2.

Have a good day everyone.
:lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
how did you change your gear oil?

i do my own engine oil changes but never did gear oil changes....
can somebody show us how?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Unlike autos, manual tranny fluid rarely needs to be changed. Chances are your oil was dark to begin with and did not get dirty with your low mileage. Every manufacturer has a slightly different color of fluid. Redline products tend to be red colored.

Contaminating metal filings from tranny gears will have a metal glitter in the oil that is very noticable in sun light.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sticking with the same theme I was wondering about changing the rear diff. oil. Anyone do this yet? A Honda tech once told me that it was important on the CRV but what about ours? I know we should but I was wondering how often and can we get synthetic for that? Let me Know. Thanks. M.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pyxy_567 said:
how did you change your gear oil?

i do my own engine oil changes but never did gear oil changes....
can somebody show us how?

thanks!
:idea:

I understand it seems a bit early to do such thing for most of you guys. Well, it is only personal preference. I am more concern with the metal flicks moving along with the parts when the transmission breaking-in. The other fact I understand is any type of oil has it own lifespan. More important is the addictive package of the gear oil will lose over time. If the addictive package is losing which means the protection of the moving parts isn’t there no more.

Here are some pictures and the tools you need is a 24mm socket and a torque wrench. Torque the plugs back to 25 ft/lb is the norm for aluminum case.

When you decided to change your oil make sure you drive your car first. Let the oil heat up is the key, so that the old oil will drain out easier. Drive your car to level ground, take the plastic cover out, remove the top plug first to check the oil level(usually some oil will drip out because of the heat), then remove the bottom plug for draining. I waited an hour until everything came out. Now put the lower plug back and put new stuff in until overflow oil come out from the top plug. Torque the plugs back then you are done.

bottom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marcutio said:
Sticking with the same theme I was wondering about changing the rear diff. oil. Anyone do this yet? A Honda tech once told me that it was important on the CRV but what about ours? I know we should but I was wondering how often and can we get synthetic for that? Let me Know. Thanks. M.
:idea:

I know nothing about the CRV and of course we can put synthetic on anything. You just need to stick with the GL-5 specs gear lube then you are fine. I still need time to figure out how to change the oil in transfer-case and the rear-end. How often? Depends or stick to the recommend schedule. I am able to DIY so I plan to do it yearly to keep my drive train happy.

I see your avatar and looks like you love off-roading, so I guess moisture getting into your drive train is your biggest enemy. I will do this maintenance regularly.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is your dealer / Toyota Ca ok with this change re warranty..???....considering it's a '05........

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:p
I work with cars for years and know what I’m doing. I requested from the service department was the fluid/specs chart for my car. I don’t think ask them(dealership) for recommendations or letting them know what I am going to do will help the situation. They only know what they sell, nothing else. I am here to look for an improvement so the switch is necessary.

Warranty?? From my past experience it is not what you say but how you say it.

For the people who follow this post. I highly recommend switching to this particular gear lube. I find the new oil reduce the vibrations between gears when shifting epically up-shift 1st to 2nd to 3rd or downshift 4th to 3rd to 2nd. If you care about the gear shift quality, this is the right oil for your transmission.

R

·
0 Posts
My manual for my 2003 says change the manual transmission every 48,000km and the transfer case(center diff) and rear diff every 32,000km. For severe service change them all every 24,000km(which I do). There is no front diff on our RAV's, it is part of the tranny I do believe.

You have to change all fluids occasionally and regularly. Including brake fluid, power steering etc. I am sorry to say but it is absolutely very wrong to say you dont have to change them or not to change your fluids (tranny or diff's) and could cost you a drivetrain regardless of where and how you drive.

Follow the manual in your RAV or the toyota website. Dont take chances.

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry, was just ranting as I came back from the dealership yesterday and I heard a service tech say to someone that you dont have to change the diff fluids as they last forever. It is definatley important to read the manual and research yourself as it appears not everyone has your best interests in mind.

--Rant over --- :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have been told that the Toyota ATF fluid is synthetic. Does anyone know for certain that the MT fluid from the factory is not synthetic?

MT fluid is not nearly under the same pressure or heat as AT fluid in an AT and really does not need to be changed as often. I am generally speaking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi all, I just bought a used 02 Rav4 AWD Auto.
I was reading the owners manual & it saids to use the
Toyota ATF only, is this true? (using any other fluids can damage the transmission?) Is it ok to use the Quakerstate
Dexron-III ATF?

Question for Cal_Rav, those 2 pictures with the
drain plug/filler bolt, is that auto or standard transmission.

Thanks phil

·
Registered
986 Posts
Stick with the Toyota ATF....transmissions are expensive to replace.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
philrav4 said:
I was reading the owners manual & it saids to use the
Toyota ATF only, is this true? (using any other fluids can damage the transmission?) Is it ok to use the Quakerstate
Dexron-III ATF?
My brother-in-law is an SAE certified mechanic and has been teaching auto mechanics for 20+years at a tech college. He is also trains and certifies Toyota techs. I asked him this question and he replied that I should NOT use anything other than the Toyota ATF fluid (for wifey's RX300 and the little princesses Corolla). He gave a technical answer that I didn't completely understand and can't restate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Reading the most unread book in the world ---"The Owners Manual" (fact) and it does have a schedule for rear differential changes (4x4)and it says well over 100,000 kms so I'm off the hook for now thinking I have to change it soon.

I am however over on my oil change this time by 500. Someone beat me with a stick!!! Busy these days but must make time soon for TLC on the RAV.

ATF.... I'm going to do in the spring regardless probably never again unless I have it for 10 years. Would also like to have the cooling system flushed at that time.

Later.M.

R

·
0 Posts
The owners manual is a good place to start but where do you see over 100,000 for the rear diff fluid?? The toyota site says 32,000km and the ECP that came with my RAV says 32,000km as well. I would suggest you find out from Toyota or you might void a warranty.

Also, regardless of where and how you drive, drivetrain fluids after 48,000-64,000km are probably not very clean so be careful.

Its 25$ canadian here to change rear diff fluid and transfer case(centre diff) fluid so its worth doing it more often than 100,000km,
its the tranny fluid that costs over 100$ assuming you let a dealer etc do it.

I am no expert but 100,000km is a long time for drivetrain fluids that are subject to contamination.

Cheers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts