Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Transmission Glitch?

1245 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  FKHeath
There's a certain downhill grade on the 87 from Phoenix to Payson, AZ where my RAV for some reason feels like it's stuck in low gear (yes, I know it has a CVT). I'm going downhill with the pedal two thirds of the way depressed and barely doing 55. I can't seem to get the car to "snap out of it." Has anyone else experienced something similar?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Are you saying while on one particular your car will not exceed 55 mph but when you get off that road or hill you can speed above 55?

It almost sounds like you have shifted to S mode which is good for grade braking.
When you say "snap out it" you mean it won't exceed 55?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you saying while on one particular your car will not exceed 55 mph but when you get off that road or hill you can speed above 55?

It almost sounds like you have shifted to S mode which is good for grade braking.
When you say "snap out it" you mean it won't exceed 55?
I mean I'd have to floor it to go above 55 on the downhill. I actually thought I was in "S" accidentally but no, I was in "D" each time. Once the grade changes the problem goes away.

Registered
I mean I'd have to floor it to go above 55 on the downhill. I actually thought I was in "S" accidentally but no, I was in "D" each time. Once the grade changes the problem goes away.

Interesting,,,

The ECVT responds to input via the ECU of the car....
No direct linkage by the gas pedal

The ECVT itself a type of gear set....

does it do this on "all" down hills, or only on one...馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting,,,

The ECVT responds to input via the ECU of the car....
No direct linkage by the gas pedal

The ECVT itself a type of gear set....

does it do this on "all" down hills, or only on one...馃
Only one so far. Real steep, no problem. Only a slight grade, no problem. There's something about this mild grade, between Mt Ord and Rye (lots of different grades in there), that seems to louse it up. I'm going in for the 30,000 mile service in a month or two; I'll ask the dealer if they've ever encountered it.

Registered
2022 Hybrid SE
Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Exactly situation I experienced couple month ago - downhill , about 85-90km/h for a minute. I've noticed transmission noise like on low gear (something spinning fast). After slow down to 60 km/h it was gone. Looks like E-CVT software glitch.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly situation I experienced couple month ago - downhill , about 85-90km/h for a minute. I've noticed transmission noise like on low gear (something spinning fast). After slow down to 60 km/h it was gone. Looks like E-CVT software glitch.
Maybe they'll be a software update. I can't shake this when it happens. Slow down, speed up, tap brakes...nothing gets it to act normally until the grade changes. I guess I'm lucky there's only one place it seems to happen.

Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
There's a certain downhill grade on the 87 from Phoenix to Payson, AZ where my RAV for some reason feels like it's stuck in low gear (yes, I know it has a CVT). I'm going downhill with the pedal two thirds of the way depressed and barely doing 55. I can't seem to get the car to "snap out of it." Has anyone else experienced something similar?
A thought, possible explanation:

When going down hill in the hybrid, and the EV battery is full (or nearly full), the computer turns on the gas engine and "downshifts" the eCVT to provide compression braking. Since the EV battery is full, regenerative braking is not possible. This can happen even if you are not using cruise control, or having your foot on the brake. On steep downhill sections, I've had the ICE RPM as high as 4000.

Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
I have driven that exact slope a bunch of times in my hybrid and I have only ever experienced what you're describing when I am using cruise control or s-mode. The battery fills up on a fair number of those long downhills, and so I usually switch to s-mode to avoid leaning on the pads and discs for too long. Cruise control also switches to engine braking instead of regen when the battery fills up. In your case, it sounds a hell of a lot like the car thinks it's in s-mode or cruise control is on.

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying it is actually in s-mode or cruise control, just that it sounds like the car is behaving as if one of those things are enabled.

Registered
Was wondering can you screen shot, the info center with the car-battery icons showing whats going on when this happens....might be interesting confirming status of hybrid system 馃

The dealer should be able to hook up a scan tool to the car,,,maybe checking the history or any faults below operator tigger level...馃

Registered
FKHeath wrote,
"When going down hill in the hybrid, and the EV battery is full (or nearly full), the computer turns on the gas engine and "downshifts" the eCVT to provide compression braking. Since the EV battery is full, regenerative braking is not possible. This can happen even if you are not using cruise control, or having your foot on the brake. On steep downhill sections, I've had the ICE RPM as high as 4000. "

This is what I think is happening in my RAV 4 H on a long descent. Now I take the Cruise Control OFF, as it was using engine compression to slow the car to commanded speed . Let the car accelerate for a while, then apply light braking to decelerate, repeat.
I'll watch this next time I descend this long hill. At the bottom of this hill, where it levels off, I put the car in EV mode, then see how far I can drive on battery alone (must keep below 20 mph) with the fully charged battery alone.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was wondering can you screen shot, the info center with the car-battery icons showing whats going on when this happens....might be interesting confirming status of hybrid system 馃

The dealer should be able to hook up a scan tool to the car,,,maybe checking the history or any faults below operator tigger level...馃
I'll try that next time I'm there.

Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
A thought, possible explanation:

When going down hill in the hybrid, and the EV battery is full (or nearly full), the computer turns on the gas engine and "downshifts" the eCVT to provide compression braking. Since the EV battery is full, regenerative braking is not possible. This can happen even if you are not using cruise control, or having your foot on the brake. On steep downhill sections, I've had the ICE RPM as high as 4000.
How do you know it's at 4000 since we don't have a conventional tachometer?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts