Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my 4th gear pops out, mechanics telling me it could cost a bundle to fix Can someone please explain what kind of options I have here?

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a local place has a used one with supposedly 97k, which is about 69k less than I have on mine?
If I go this route, any preparations I could take, to make this a smooth operation? Better option?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'll make the really, really big assumption that it's a manual transmission ... :wink
If you are pulling the transmission, do the clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing too while in there, and have the flywheel resurfaced. Unless under ~20K miles, and clutches last a long time for you.

I'd have the trans rebuilt; it's a known quantity. You never know what you'll get with a used part that hasn't been gone through.

But before that have the linkages checked -- could just be out of adjustment. Assuming these are adjustable ...

·
Registered
621 Posts
How much are they charging for the transmission?
Then decide if you want a used or rebuilt transmission, the labor to install either will be the same.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
I wasn't going to pay for a rebuilt tranny or to have it rebuilt, it costs more the the RAV was worth so, I bought a low mileage one from a junk dealer. So far everything is going fine putting it in, mine is 4x4 so you have to pull the engine and tranny as a unit out the bottom of the car. Replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearings.
While in there I cleaned, wire brushed, wiped down, primed and painted pretty much everything. Replaced all the vacuum lines because, mine were cracked and hard set. Replaced coolant bypass hose 2 and 3 that are under the exhaust manifold. Replaced the radiator and radiator cooling fans. Replaced the oil pump. I had recently replaced the timing belt, tensioner pulleys and water pump so I didn't mess with those. Moved the VSV to the firewall. Performed corrosion control on everything under the hood and under the car. Added a thermal blanket to the engine side of the firewall and under the hood itself. Replaced all engine/transmission mounts, the center mount on the drive shaft, the yoke bushings for the differential and the differential mount. Rebuilt the control arms and replaced the outer tie rods. And several other upgrades.
I've been slow getting it back together because life events keep getting in the way but I fully expect to be done this week.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Waiting to figure this out, have to make decision soon, getting worse.
Wish I had the time and skill eodgator. I'm worried that buying a used one could lead to just the same problem. Mine is 4x4 as well.
It would cost about $1k maybe little more to get a used one and installation. I figure if it cost about $2k to rebuild might be worth it, to have the peace of mind. Just don't know yet if that's what it would cost.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke to a friend of mine and he had a guy who he does lot of work with who does transmissions. He says I'm looking at 1500 to 2k depending if I need a couple of gears changed, otherwise he'll change Synchro's, slides, and bearings and says it will be like new. Cost just depends on gears if needed, just because they're expensive. I'm at a quandary here, not that I don't have the money. Just don't know if I should, I put quite a few dollars into this thing already getting it to where it is now. It runs great. Looks good and will look better when painted. I was looking at a lexus gx470 for around 7k with 94k miles 2004. Not sure if I could get a couple thousand of more for the rav in the condition is in? Or if I should go ahead and get the work done :/

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
My old 5 speed manual transaxle had a blown 5th gear and with the additional damage caused when a cooling hose let go it wasn't cost effective to repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts