Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new-to-me '99 has a few issues here and there I need to figure out and fix before winter hits. The biggest issue right now is the transmission leak. It's dripping down to the lower drain bolt of the transfer case housing.

Near as I can tell, it's coming from a tube that sits above the front right axle output. If you follow the bolts from the underside for that plate up around to the top, it sits right at about 12 oclock and does an upward S-bend towards the passenger side of the vehicle.

What is this tube? Mine looks poorly seated and/or cracked. It also appears to have a weeping hole at the lowermost section.

Attached is a pic of a diagram, and I've circled the two pipes that look like it could be what I'm talking about. I'll get the car up in the air in a little bit here and take a picture of the actual part.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
The only thing it could be (from what you describe), is the boot that protects the rod for the lock. It goes from the t-case to the vacuum actuator.

The rod seal should be leaking, and the protector boot should be full of oil. But I dont know if it is possible to change that seal...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hum.

My diff lock doesn't beep at all when I disengage it, and I don't get the familiar skipping feeling while turning when I've tested it in my cul de sac. Perhaps something's funky there..

Near as I can tell the AWD is working. Definitely front biased, but working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hum.

My diff lock doesn't beep at all when I disengage it, and I don't get the familiar skipping feeling while turning when I've tested it in my cul de sac. Perhaps something's funky there..

Near as I can tell the AWD is working. Definitely front biased, but working.
Update - finally looked at it and took the system apart. After checking all the vacuum lines and verifying they were pristine, I went to check the solenoids themselves to discover the passenger solenoid had a broken wire. Soldered that back up and blammo -- I have a center diff lock.

We just got 1-2 feet of snow here, so the test was... very conclusive. The car is 100% more fun, now.

FWIW, the leak seems to be engine oil. I lose quite a bit over time and it's clearer with changes. Ah well, the 3S-G(T?)E will solve that. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts