Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the analysis Blackstone Labs did on my trans oil. I emailed this to them in response, hopefully they will have some insight.

"The metals are a concern. The reason I had the oil analyzed is that although it shifts fine, there is a vibration at 65 mph only in Overdrive that has me wondering what the cause might be. Research I have done so far potentially implicates the torque converter but I'm not sure. Pretty sure it's the transmission and not the wheels/tires because if I shift out of OD into 3rd the problem stops. Basically, I am trying to determine if the trans is eating itself."

The report is below, appreciate any help.

-kj-

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm not familiar with oil analysis but some of the metals do seem pretty high. If it was me, I'd go for two drain-and-refills over maybe 5k miles or so. Couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
As a starting point in the analysis one would need to know what the metals content is, if any, in the fluid before it is used. Most lubricants contain some metals naturally. The Blackstone comment asserts that their verbal analysis is based upon the use of "non-factory oil" even though stated tested oil is "Toyota WS ATF." So there seems to be some inconsistency in the report.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great points, noted - I missed the 'non-factory' part and will inquire about that, and if more info is available on the metals...thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got this from Blackstone. Term makes sense now.

We refer to factory oil as the oil that was put in by Toyota after assembly, so that's what would come from the first oil change. The second oil change and beyond it's non-factory oil, even if the oil was from the Toyota dealership. We expect to see high metals/silicon from factory oil because parts make metal as they wear in and silicon would be from assembly sealer, but after the first change a lot of that should wash out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts