Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a few drips in my garage.. looked underneath and saw this...
Redish slick fluid was on my floor.

Is it the transmission oil seal?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Assuming the fluid was directly underneath the axle seal where you took the pics, and the you have an automatic transmission, it's a good bet that the seal is leaking. The other fluids that could potentially be red are power steering fluid and anti freeze.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It could be from that seal, but it looks like the result of a leak higher up in the Rav4.
Have you lost any power-steering fluid. I would take a look at the power-steering hoses and the seal on top of the rack, before going after that seal.

At least your shaft boot looks good.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of you guys mention the power steering fluid. I was afraid of that.
I spent 600 on a new rack in February. It was very tight after it was installed. My steering was heavier. I questioned it and got nowhere. I was told that it was because it was new. I have put 30,000 miles since February and it may be going bad again. I didn't see power steering fluid going down but the fluid did smell like the power steering fluid.

I am going to take it in next week.
I went on EBAY to buy an OEM (rebuilt) rack and had the mechanic install it. I think the "rebuilt" was not done right.

I will find out and update you all. Thank you so much !!

·
Registered
609 Posts
The ACDelco rack from Rockauto and the racks from Autozone, have lifetime warranties.
Something to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts