Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Transmission oil

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Maxlife

I don't think anyone works a rav4 harder than I do. I don't beat on it, but boy do I work it.
Offroad, towing up to 5k lbs (not level ground either), plowing up to 4 ft of snow, pulling brush/stumps, hauling feed/equipment. I do it all. The rav and the maxlife keep on going. Ours had 300k miles on it and still runs like new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maxlife

I don't think anyone works a rav4 harder than I do. I don't beat on it, but boy do I work it.
Offroad, towing up to 5k lbs (not level ground either), plowing up to 4 ft of snow, pulling brush/stumps, hauling feed/equipment. I do it all. The rav and the maxlife keep on going. Ours had 300k miles on it and still runs like new.
sounds like you are a working man! I like that me too in my off time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I thought only OEM because I know at Honda hard to find something better than dw-1 made by Idemitsu from higher class group of oil. And thought Toyota have the same high quality fluid. But after read Bob is a oil guy forum change my opinion.
WS not even synthetic fluid! Pretty quick start acidize (?), short lifespan, low heat resistance and high degradation
Don't believe Valvoline too
So found at local store Pennzoil Platinum LV synthetic transmission fluid
Shell made one of best engine oil in Europe and North America so should be not bad transmission fluid
Also I add red bottle of Lubegard additive
This stuff even approved by Subaru and some other manufacturers for use in their transmissions
Transmission shifts like CVT before and no noticeable difference after fluid change, 140k miles

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oem is crap. That has been proven many times. Mine looked like used engine oil.
I only use OEM fluids that came originally with the vehicle. There is just this belief that synthetic is always superior, blah blah. This is why snake oil companies like Amsoil can stay in business. But if the car manufacturer develops its components using certain fluids and formulation of the fluids, then this is what I am going to use in my vehicles despite the opinion of internet experts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How I understand reading different forums the only reason Toyota introduced WS and said it's lifetime fluid only for save $ on environment fees for disposal used fluid

·
Registered
387 Posts
If oem says their fluid is lifetime and it's garbage at 30-40,000 miles, how is that good?
Manufacturers will usually skimp and cheat to save a dollar here and there. That's well known.
Enjoy your koolaid....

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Oem is crap. That has been proven many times. Mine looked like used engine oil.
Cmon Ike, WS is NOT crap. You might use your RAV for far different things than most drivers do and that's fine. But for the millions of Toyotas roaming the earth that have absolutely no problems with their transmissions, like mine, OEM is obviously fine.
The only thing I disagree with Toyota is calling it "lifetime fluid". IMO, there is no such thing and I don't care what kind of fancy synthetic fluid anybody is pushing on here, it's not lifetime.

·
Registered
173 Posts
WS is cheap fluid, oxidizes quickly. No magical unicorn factory makes that fluid, Toyota doesn't have a factory that makes that oil, it's made by the same factories that make the rest of the transmission oils. Sure, it will last during the warranty period, and Toyota will be happy to sell you another car after that. That's their "lifetime".

This is my OE oil at 70k miles.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I
Cmon Ike, WS is NOT crap. You might use your RAV for far different things than most drivers do and that's fine. But for the millions of Toyotas roaming the earth that have absolutely no problems with their transmissions, like mine, OEM is obviously fine.
The only thing I disagree with Toyota is calling it "lifetime fluid". IMO, there is no such thing and I don't care what kind of fancy synthetic fluid anybody is pushing on here, it's not lifetime.
WS is fine for the average driver that don't push their transmission. In Ike case he is pushing it so synthetic will work better due to the extreme conditions. The key with any ATF is to replace it before it gets too weak. Unfortunately many drivers have no clue when to change the fluid or at all. Toyota does not even specify the transmission oil change interval for US cars unlike in Canada. To top it off Toyota makes it more confusing my making a claim the ATF is a lifetime fluid. As we all know no fluid last a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My WS looked like black motor oil after 60K. The RAV is our family truckster. Other than driving up mountain passes loaded down with camping gear it leads a pretty easy life.
And synthetic fluid is definitely superior to non. This is not a snake oil magic ju ju thing. Many test to back this up.
I have used Amsoil OE fuel efficient and Maxlife Multi vehicle. Am also considering REDLINE D6.
Note that there is a Maxlife Dex or something that is NOT WS compatible. Do not use.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Note that there is a Maxlife Dex or something that is NOT WS compatible. Do not use.
You are absolute right about the labels on these brands. Valvoline labels their product line to look very similar to each other and unless you read the label very closely you can mistaken and buy the wrong ATF. The Valvoline Dex/Merc is not WS compatible. I see Valvoline has now changed their label to a blue bottle so it is not confused with the Valvoline MAX Life Multi Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF which is a red bottle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts