Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned this before, but have to bring it up again.
Just scheduled dealer service time for oil change, seat belt
recall and . . . . .Transmission issues.
Returned from a 1,600 mile trip to DC, back thru WV and INDY.
Gas mileage was varied from 26.8 to 23.2. I'll give it an 8 out
of 10 for the trip.
Now when dealing with the hills through Pa, Md, Wv, some steep
and some gradual. With the cruise set at speed 60, 65, some 70.
As the Rav started up the hill all okay, then it would down shift to
maintain speed, some steep, and some gradual........It has done
the smell thing on level ground passing at 65+ mph,
BUT NOT every time, can't get a pattern speed down.

Then the burning clutch smell . . . .not every time but at least 50%
sometimes heavy smell, sometimes not, nothing visible, just smell.
Complained to dealer before (X 2), checked and "found nothing" ya think !
Scheduled again and he says tech will have to drive it around again,
but if no error codes . . . . . can't do much till it breaks. . . . :crying

Anyone else heard or experience this ?
'12 Rav4 Limited V6 . . .24K miles
Trans fluid is normal color.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Scout.....not understanding your issue. On cruise going up a hill, you say it downshifts to maintain speed. Every car I've owned does that, including my 2010 RAV V6.
As for the smell, perhaps a slight oil leak under certain conditions? Would have to look real close to see it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had the odd smell sometimes from my 2010 V6 exhaust years ago. I'm pretty sure I found on this forum that exhaust odors could enter the cabin from an air vent or grill in the rear. Others, and I, bought and installed the Toyota, rear exhaust pipe extension. This completely eliminated the exhaust smell issue in my Rav.

Tom

Reactions: vanib
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scout.....not understanding your issue. On cruise going up a hill, you say it downshifts to maintain speed. Every car I've owned does that, including my 2010 RAV V6.
As for the smell, perhaps a slight oil leak under certain conditions? Would have to look real close to see it.
congrats you pick up its an auto trans, and they down shift
going up hills!!!:confused:
every one i had did about the same, when it down shifts it disengages multiple clutch plates
and re-engages the same. If the plates are not pressed back together with authority a slight slip
sometimes undetectable will occur and give the burnt clutch smell. And if it was doing this,
it sure as hell should show in the fluid . . . but its not!

Actually the smell is CLUTCH !
No runs drips or errors under the hood or vehicle.
As i said trans fluid is normal level & color, red but not burnt.
so you have no knowledge of it. thanks anyway

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the odd smell sometimes from my 2010 V6 exhaust years ago. I'm pretty sure I found on this forum that exhaust odors could enter the cabin from an air vent or grill in the rear. Others, and I, bought and installed the Toyota, rear exhaust pipe extension. This completely eliminated the exhaust smell issue in my Rav.

Tom
Not exhaust . . . the smell is only during or after down shift to maintain
speed or accelerating.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scout10, I get a rotten egg smell sometimes when I gun it or when passing. It's more noticeable depending on whether your AC is on recirc or fresh air. This smell comes from the catalytic converter I believe. I've taken it to the dealer and they couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything about it.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/80573-rotten-egg-sulphur-smell-when-accelerating.html

its not rotten egg . . . clutch yes . . . .rotten egg . . . . .no THX's

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
A clutch in a stick shift vehicle sure can smell when it slips but how would/could you smell it with all the clutches sealed up in an automatic? Not saying you don't just can't figure that one. I've had TC clutches actually burn out couple times but never any smell just tach showing higher revs.
Have you tried manually shifting to 4th on hills to keep it from hunting?

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Agree with Dr. Dyno. The clutches in an auto trans are sealed in the case which will prevent any smell from reaching the cabin,, while with a manual gearbox the clutch is partially exposed to the open air. Most of our terrain here is mountainous and hilly, and the auto trans on my V6 sometimes will switch gears back and forth on grades. I figure that it's doing what it's been designed to do, but as Dr. Dyno suggests placing the gear stick into 4th on upgrades will stop the trans from hunting between 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
congrats you pick up its an auto trans, and they down shift
going up hills!!!:confused:
every one i had did about the same, when it down shifts it disengages multiple clutch plates
and re-engages the same. If the plates are not pressed back together with authority a slight slip
sometimes undetectable will occur and give the burnt clutch smell. And if it was doing this,
it sure as hell should show in the fluid . . . but its not!

No runs drips or errors under the hood or vehicle.
As i said trans fluid is normal level & color, red but not burnt.
so you have no knowledge of it. thanks anyway
Gosh, for someone who seems to have all the answers, I'm surprised you're even here. Sorry I couldn't help. Have a nice day.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
You know, the odor of a burning clutch on a manual transmission smells a lot like burning brake pads. Since you don't HAVE a manual transmission, perhaps you should be looking for a stuck brake caliper.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
You know, the odor of a burning clutch on a manual transmission smells a lot like burning brake pads. Since you don't HAVE a manual transmission, perhaps you should be looking for a stuck brake caliper.
And in hilly conditions where the OP smells "it" more one would be using the brakes more.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A clutch in a stick shift vehicle sure can smell when it slips but how would/could you smell it with all the clutches sealed up in an automatic? Not saying you don't just can't figure that one. I've had TC clutches actually burn out couple times but never any smell just tach showing higher revs.
Have you tried manually shifting to 4th on hills to keep it from hunting?

It doesn't hunt for a gear up or down.
I talked to a trans shop in Grand Rapids (has lots toy rav4 exp)
he also states it is possible to smell !
Because the trans is vented !

I'll be down that way next week, I asked him to do a fluid flush
onto white filter paper, if something is wearing it should show.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
And in hilly conditions where the OP smells "it" more one would be using the brakes more.
why would you use brakes ? ? going up a hill as the trans down shifts
to maintain speed control at 65 mph ? ? If you touch brakes ..speed control goes off!

And if you leave speed control engaged going down it will slow the
eng revs and slow the vehicle . . . .probably won't use brakes !

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is a difference between brake pad material and trans clutch
plates thus dif smell.
A stuck puck would also be picked up as a slight pull to the stuck side
4 wheel disc. Car is tracking straight, and sensitive to road contour.

Got a appointment with a trans shop next week, just to investigate
for now. change fluid, filter, and white sheet the drippings.
That should tell something...

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Will be interesting to hear what you find out since if it's as noticeable as you say I'd expect the fluid to be discolored & smell burnt.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gosh, for someone who seems to have all the answers, I'm surprised you're even here. Sorry I couldn't help. Have a nice day.
yep maybe i'm further alone then you....
I originally asked if anyone had run into this . . . .
not I need "ravenuer" to solve my vehicle issues.

Much of your line of thought didn't come from system analysis, or troubleshooting. So i not surprised at the have a nice day,
because you were not hitting the ten circle. If there are 50 possibles,
and i can discount 40 by myself, (which you call having all the answers)
is there a possibility you or someone is going to repeat one of those
I've been over?

Hey, have a nice day anyway.:kiss

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
yep maybe i'm further alone then you....
I originally asked if anyone had run into this . . . .
not I need "ravenuer" to solve my vehicle issues.

Much of your line of thought didn't come from system analysis, or troubleshooting. So i not surprised at the have a nice day,
because you were not hitting the ten circle. If there are 50 possibles,
and i can discount 40 by myself, (which you call having all the answers)
is there a possibility you or someone is going to repeat one of those
I've been over?

Hey, have a nice day anyway.:kiss
As I said, I didn't understand your original post. But instead of explaining it a bit further so perhaps I could offer some suggestions, you decided to give me a bunch of snarky remarks.
Most posters on here who ask for suggestions usually take them into consideration and thank them for their help. Just about everyone who replied to you on this thread has gotten a negative response from you.
Like I said, you seem to have all the answers you need. Hope you get your car fixed.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Like I said, you seem to have all the answers you need. Hope you get your car fixed.
Agreed. Seems like the OP is telling us not asking us. Makes it pretty much a waste of time responding.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RAVENUER
wasn't any more off target than your misses...period
if you understood the OP which you didn't. then your replies would have stopped and you wouldn't
be whinning about your perception of snarky. You miss it period.
but since you missed it . . . .its snarky !

"reading and comprehension" . . . ? there were specific questions in there ! pretty much a waste.

yeah it got fixed, and it still wasn't ANYTHING you thought! pretty snarky of you !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts