Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fluid in my 2010 Rav 4 Sport automatic is a little toasty and slightly brown. All works well, so I was going to change the filter and replace transmission oil. Guy at the dealer suggested to leave the filter alone, says it basically is just a metal screen, but to dump and refill with fresh fluid. Vehicle has 85000 miles on it approximately. Manual says service isn't required. Anyone with ideas and opinions?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Moved to 4.3 forum

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good idea to drain and refill fluid. Usually takes a little over 4 litres. The filter is a metal screen which doesn't need to be changed. Some people buy aftermarket kits and change it anyways ??
Do a drain a refill now, then another
one in a few months. Then you should have the majority of the old fluid out.

·
Registered
2007 Rav4 Sport V6
4 Posts
I just picked up the fluid yesterday from the dealer to empty/refill. Will not be changing the filter. transmissions are sealed there would not be enough dirt collected in the filter to ever necessitate changing it.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Fluid in my 2010 Rav 4 Sport automatic is a little toasty and slightly brown. All works well, so I was going to change the filter and replace transmission oil. Guy at the dealer suggested to leave the filter alone, says it basically is just a metal screen, but to dump and refill with fresh fluid. Vehicle has 85000 miles on it approximately. Manual says service isn't required. Anyone with ideas and opinions?
All the 4 cylinder models have the reusable metal mesh screen filter. The V6 has the paper filter. By the way that factory metal screen filter is over $50 not including the o-ring and gasket which is sold seperately. You probably did not read the Owner's Manual Supplement which does say you need to change the ATF every 72 months/96,000km which every comes first. If you operate your vehicle: short trips less than 5km, tow a trailer, drive in dusty or muddy road, and drive frequent mountainous driving you change ATF every 24 months/32,000 km.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts