Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been talked about before, but this drives me nuts. I have a 2015 XLE AWD.

We drive from Arkansas to Oklahoma City about once a month and I44 has a lot of rolling hills.

So on one trip I set the cruise control at 78mph and when I would start up a hill i would be in 6th gear at about 2,300 rpm. Then it would shift to 5th gear at about 2,800 rpm but only stay there for a few seconds and then shift to 4 gear at about 4,000 rpm. Then when the road leveled out, it would stay in 4th gear until I started down a hill or I pushed down on the gas and then let up quickly to make it shift. If I started down a steeper hill, then it would upshift on it own.

So the next trip I got behind some cars doing about 82mph, so I just kicked off the cruise and drove by foot. I only went into 4th gear once and that was on a steep hill. Most of the time I stayed in 6th gear with a few times going into 5th gear. My gas mileage also improved but if your engine is turning 2800 rpm and not 4000 rpm to stay at the same speed, that makes sense.

Does anyone else have this problem or do I need to talk to my dealer? I thought it might improve after it was broken in but I have 33,000k on it now so I would consider it broken in.

I don't like to drive without the cruise because I have a heavy foot and speeding tickets are something that I don't need.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is common and one of my biggest complaints with the RAV4.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What I usually do when on CC is tap the up or down lever and that allows the transmission to shift. If I get really annoyed I just turn the cruise off as you stated above.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, this is my biggest pet peeve about my 2013 RAV4.

I've resorted to tapping the CC off and then back on to get it to upshift.

I'm sure this is part of the reason my highway mileage isn't nearly as good as they advertised.

Driving without the CC is the only way to get the best mileage which really sucks.

I did recently test drive a 2017 LTD and it didn't seem to have that issue during my test drive. It was a thorough long term test but it is encouraging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts