Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
馃嚚馃嚘 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
Would be interested AF to see this unfold, if this is even possible... but bro, this ain't no rugged overlander if that's your goal, the driveshaft is puny. Is it even possible to mate a manual to a CVT?

Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
I would like to know how to change transmission on this car. Auto to manual. What tranny is the best?
Which 2 or 3 have you narrowed it down to? Give us more info and we can tell you which is best.

Super Moderator
How will you change all of the computers? I doubt this is even possible. No manual RAV transmission is offered in North America and hasn't been for over a decade.

Reactions: Colonel

Registered
You can always "find" something mechanical that "might" work with a bunch of fab work. However as @RTexasF has indicated the whole issue with dealing with the interconnecting networks on the car is going to be a large headache.

Certainly would be a cool project but the dollars and cents of the matter on it dont really add up to anything from a ROI standpoint. I would be willing to bet more than 1/2 the value of the vehicle or more would need to be spent.

Registered
Does the Corolla use the same engine as the RAV4? Maybe he can swap the computers around too.

Seems cost prohibitive though....

Registered
Does the Corolla use the same engine as the RAV4? Maybe he can swap the computers around too.

Seems cost prohibitive though....
Maybe. A lot of research is necessary to make sure it all works. It usually takes one person to take the hit because it usually is very expensive to retool an automatic these days.

Premium Member
I would like to know how to change transmission on this car. Auto to manual. What tranny is the best?
Going by your username you have a 4th gen(2013-18)? The Rav4 is Camry based, so if a MT Camry was ever made in Canada, it may be possible if it's a FWD model, if yours is AWD, forget it. Otherwise you're looking at importing the transmission from somewhere off continent and it may be better to transplant the entire engine and transaxle and only if it's a FWD 4th gen.

Registered
Going by your username you have a 4th gen(2013-18)? The Rav4 is Camry based, so if a MT Camry was ever made in Canada, it may be possible if it's a FWD model, if yours is AWD, forget it. Otherwise you're looking at importing the transmission from somewhere off continent and it may be better to transplant the entire engine and transaxle and only if it's a FWD 4th gen.
We did actually have a manual option with the Camry, until at least the second most recent generation (whatever was the version through 2012). With the 2AZ-FE we had a 5-speed, and with the 2AR, we got a six-speed. Both of these would bolt to the RAV 4-cylinder for FWD RAV models. Having said that, it may be necessary to get the computer from that donor camry also.

One thing I鈥檝e toyed with researching is the global manual and AWD system - it MAY be possible to swap a global manual with an AWD setup into an AWD North American model. Having said all that, it鈥檚 totally theoretical right now until someone puts dollars toward the project. If my automatic ever blows up, I may just tackle the Camry 6-speed swap.

Super Moderator
Dan, at some point it would be helpful for us to know what year "this car" is. Then I can move this thread (your second with the same title) to the correct one.

Registered
Let鈥檚 be honest, just put an LS7 in it and flex馃挭馃徑
Love me some LS conversion...on other people's Miata's.

OP, here is a proper conversion: This 525-Horsepower V8 Miata Will Fix Every Problem You've Ever Had With Miatas The article states $50k, but that is with a LS and such.

Without a mickey mouse job, my guess would be around 25k-35k for the RAV. Best to looks for a FWD cars, that already comes with a manual transmission.
Of course, if you are fine with a semi hack job, I am sure some shops can do it for about half that.

Good luck!

Registered
馃嚚馃嚘 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
Love me some LS conversion...on other people's Miata's.

OP, here is a proper conversion: This 525-Horsepower V8 Miata Will Fix Every Problem You've Ever Had With Miatas The article states $50k, but that is with a LS and such.

Without a mickey mouse job, my guess would be around 25k-35k for the RAV. Best to looks for a FWD cars, that already comes with a manual transmission.
Of course, if you are fine with a semi hack job, I am sure some shops can do it for about half that.

Good luck!
Love them, been a good source of entertainment since as long as I can remember, from EVO GSR鈥檚 to dodge minivan鈥檚. Here鈥檚 a good starting point馃嵒

Super Moderator
We did actually have a manual option with the Camry, until at least the second most recent generation (whatever was the version through 2012). With the 2AZ-FE we had a 5-speed, and with the 2AR, we got a six-speed. Both of these would bolt to the RAV 4-cylinder for FWD RAV models. Having said that, it may be necessary to get the computer from that donor Camry also.
So it sounds pretty simple:
1. Do a worldwide search for a Toyota model that mates a 2.5L with a 5 or 6-speed 4/AWD transaxle.
2. Ship the whole vehicle because it would also have all the ECUs and wire harnesses one might need.
3. Since 2. might be prohibitively expensive just have the transaxle & accessory parts shipped.
4. Go about the simple task of installing it all.

This whole project is made easier since the search need not bother with North America since there weren't any 4WD manuals sold after 2005 and those likely wouldn't mate with the 2009-on 2.5L.
Oh, and I forgot one thing. Start the fundraising/sponsorship immediately.

Reactions: sam999

Registered
So it sounds pretty simple:
1. Do a worldwide search for a Toyota model that mates a 2.5L with a 5 or 6-speed 4/AWD transaxle.
2. Ship the whole vehicle because it would also have all the ECUs and wire harnesses one might need.
3. Since 2. might be prohibitively expensive just have the transaxle & accessory parts shipped.
4. Go about the simple task of installing it all.

This whole project is made easier since the search need not bother with North America since there weren't any 4WD manuals sold after 2005 and those likely wouldn't mate with the 2009-on 2.5L.
Oh, and I forgot one thing. Start the fundraising/sponsorship immediately.
Precisely

For a FWD swap it should be significantly easier, especially for finding a donor Camry in Canada. Just need one hit in the rear, so the front is OK. Bolt in the pedal assembly, likely change the master cylinder and do some brake line/hydraulic work, and swap the computer. Then hit your knees and start praying it all works!!! Lol

Coming from the Ford world, it鈥檚 not unusual for my brethren to swap powertrains or transmissions back and forth, from hydraulic clutch units to automatic ones, etc. There are even people who will swap 5.0 manual setups into Rangers as it will fit and there is actually a mess of factory parts available for it. Frankenstein units have a good enthusiast base. Having said that, all of these are pre-canbus units, and I recall the fun Car and Driver had trying to make a MazdaSpeed 5 van, by cannibalising a wrecked MazdaSpeed 3 - the electrical gremlins were worse than the one that tried to bring down William Shatner鈥檚 airplane in The Twilight Zone.

It likely won鈥檛 be easy, and definitely won鈥檛 be cheap, but it MAY be possible. I鈥檓 honestly surprised that some of our drag-racer members haven鈥檛 already looked at this, particularly for the 2GR-FE (similar to what Lotus did with that engine/transmission). The parts are all there, it just needs a brave soul to put them together.

Reactions: sam999
1 - 19 of 19 Posts