Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting in General, since is not allowing me to post in Mechanical. it mentioned some privileges BS, added to being forced to change password, something is changing in the forums.

Rav4 has now almost 145K on it, since a while now I noticed that at high speeds, when passing someone when reaching 120km/h rpms jumped for a moment, before returning back and actually engaging the speed.

Recently the three lights of Engine, AWD, and TRAC OFF turned on, just the day before I had booked my oil change and maintenance check, so I asked them to check it.

They mentioned first that code P2417 showed and that they will order the shifting solenoid and check it on this week. At home with my Techstream I didn't find code P2417, but I found code C1280 (Engine Control System Malfunction), there were a couple of B-codes that were flagged as warnings but no concern ( I'll probably will keep an eye in one of them, it was for air inlet damper air cond servo motor)

This week they open up the transmission, solenoid was good, both, a bit dirty with metal on the fluid, they flush, replace and add additives. Lights were still on after that.

Since lights came up, the shifting is awful, if you try to keep a certain speed just by keeping a slight pressure on the gas pedal, is always jumping. As example it will keep jumping rpm from 2000 to 2100 constantly if you want to keep around 100 km/h, it does similar or even more at around 60 - 80 km/h. If you are increasing speed is much better just when trying to keep speed is the issue.

They say that instead of trying to rebuild the transmission I should go for a new one. Due to personal reasons, I don't have time now to be shopping around, and winter is coming and I'll need the traction and AWD functional.

Any thoughts in this matter.

thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very sorry to hear that bad news. I doubt you will find many tranny problems in this group given the year of vehicles. Metal flakes in fluid is bad news, and a flush doesn't solve the real problem of bearing or gears getting chewed up somewhere. How much did they quote you to replace the tranny?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very sorry to hear that bad news. I doubt you will find many tranny problems in this group given the year of vehicles. Metal flakes in fluid is bad news, and a flush doesn't solve the real problem of bearing or gears getting chewed up somewhere. How much did they quote you to replace the tranny?
yeah, it doesn't sound good. I have a long commute to work, 140 Km total, so yes, my RAV4 gets a lot of millage on it, almost all highway, so that's why the 145K odometer number. The shuttle lady was saying that it has almost as many km as the shuttle that was too from 2013 (155K).

As for the quote, considering for you, that we are in Canada and prices are way fricking higher, they came up after some deliberation to almost $7,000.

I'm booked to take the car on Wednesday after work, and they will provide a rental for two days. The shifting is awful but I should reach Wednesday without issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, car is in for transmission change, I'm trying to figure out what could have contribute to early transmission damage. the car has 145K but even that, it's a bit early.

They noticed that the steering wheel is bent, that knuckles hit signal light & wiper stalks when turned. it seems to has been like that for a long time now. Not sure how much could affect or has affected the transmission.

In general the car is driven in highway, average daily speed of 90 -110 km/h, 99% of the time in Sport Mode (hopefully nothing to do with early worn out), frequent use of cruise control.

the rest of the car is pretty much new, all maintenances are done regularly, so I hope to get a lot more km of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious note, while driving back in the shuttle from the car rental place, the woman that was also going to the dealer was also getting a new transmission in a 2011 Venza with 116k km, she mentioned that the dealer rep mentioned another car that was for transmission with similar km that her car, she didn't remembered the model.

My car had 145k km, but even that is not a lot, and 3 transmissions in probably less than a month is for me too much, when you hear the km that those transmissions had. It will be interesting to hear from a dealer tech how often Toyota's transmissions, fail at an early km value.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts