Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i read a lot about the transmission whine on the v6 rav4 but what about the 4 cyl? I went to try one out today and heard a whine that seemed to come from the transmission. It could be heard slowing down from 30 to 20 km/h ( kinda felt like a wheel bearing sound) and accelerating around 40-60km/h was more a whining sound. Has Anybody else had issues with the 4 cyl model ? I am really reconsidering my idea of buying this rav4

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Unless you're driving a Lexus some gear noise from a transmission doing it's job is to be expected but I've never heard anyone with the 4-speed in a 4 cylinder RAV4 complain about it - and neither do I with my 5-speed V6.

The whine of the 5-speeds was in the ring and pinion mesh of the final drive so it got louder and changed pitch directly with speed. I do hear some faint whining sounds as mine shifts gears and I suspect at the low speeds you mention that's what you are hearing too, gear not final drive noise. So, unless it's loud and doesn't go away at higher speeds, I say it's normal. Your best bet would probably be test driving another 4-speed for comparison.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts