Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious about this for a long time... :?:

Is there any kind of travel trailer that the RAV4 can pull? I know it would have to be a mighty small one. On Web searches, I've found a few makers of small travel trailers that sound promising. Does anyone have any experiences with trailering/towing? Any warnings against this?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any modern travel trailers light enough for the Rav to tow, but I've always taken a liking to the old teardrop trailers. They're pretty cool looking and I think suit the Rav just fine especially if you custom build it to look similar to your Rav.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I used to own a COLEMAN pop-up tent trailer that I towed with my 1996 2DR. The trailer weighed just under 1500lbs loaded. The RAV did a great job of pulling the load... and an OK job of stopping the load (no trailer brakes).

The trailer included a sink/furnace and room for a port-a-potty. It has an icebox that used ice to keep things cold. We opted to use it for storeage while using a 12volt portable ice box (also coleman brand) to keep things cold.

We have since sold the the pop-up and moved up to a 30 ft. 5th wheel that our Dodge Ram (RAM4 :wink: ) pulls.

If you click on my "Album" button under this message you can see a photo of the Coleman trailer. I think the trailer was a 1998 model.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have never trailered anything with my Rav, but I am planning on towing a snowmobile eventually.

The trailering capacity of a vehicle is dependent on 3 factors:

1. engine power
2. braking power
3. frame/suspension weight capacity

Braking is the most important. If you are trailering anything over 800lbs with your Rav you should have brakes on the trailer. You don't "need" them, but they make it a lot easier and a lot safer. Whether or not to have trailer brakes is not just related to the weight of the trailer, but also the braking capacity of the towing vehicle. While I can tow a 1500lb trailer on my GMY Yukon without trailer brakes, the same trailer on a Rav should have brakes because the Yukon has a much greater reserve braking capacity than my Rav.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

In the UK we use our RAV4 to tow our caravan which has a double bed and 2 bunks a shower, toilet, oven, hob, fridge and heating.
My wifes sister lives in New York State and I was amazed how big and heavy your traillers are. It probably isn't practical to import one but have a look at this link. http://www.bailey-caravans.co.uk/ranger/features.htm

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for your input and info

I like the teardrop trailers, but they're a wee bit small for us. I like the Bailey Ranger very much. Beautiful interior and exterior. It would be great to get hold of one of those. <sigh> The few USA available lightweights that I have found on the internet aren't very attractive, kind of utilitarian. I think that the pop-up trailer is about the best thing to tug with a RAV4. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good, reasonably priced one. Thanx for all your help.

Question: What IS a hob? A Brit thing?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats a hob ?

A 'Hob' is what you heat pans on.

Perhaps there's a market for light weight vans in the States ?

Nick

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We think we have finally found a trailer we can pull...

We found a trailer called the "A-liner" and it seems to meet all of the weight requirements of the RAV...and they have a competitor that has a heavier trailer, the "Chalet."

Anybody here ever own one?...satisfied or dissatisfied?

We checked them out yesterday, and they really don't seem too small inside (surprisingly!). The dealer we visited had only one model...so, we're still investigating the other floorplans and models before we make a decision.

Here are links if anybody is interested:

http://www.aliner.com

http://www.chaletrv.com

Any input is appreciated!

Thank you,
Trisha and Doug (RAVishing and RAVage)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey RAVishing! I was looking at these as well.I too thought they were surprisingly roomy for thier small size and quality seemed to rival most tent-trailers out there. Don't see the model I was interested in on the website, but the RV show I went to had a few different models. All three I looked at were under 1000 lbs. One of them had a sofa so that was impressive...and another with a table that DIDNT have to be converted to a bed, so that was encouraging. Post if you find any other models and its name. Very curious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts