Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

I have a RAV 2005 and few days before I made roughly thousand metres in sand they turned on indicators (TRC and electrical machine). The car stuck and did not turn wheel while the engine worked in the 2000 turns.

The disk smelled!!!

TOYOTA said that it happens and that it would be supposed I wait for before start!!!

Does somebody know something? :(

I thank you

Loukas

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
LoukasGR.... Can u explain what you said above?
Did you get stuck in sand and you were Revving or something and u had an electrical shut down?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hallo

I was in the sand for 1000m and after turned on clues TRC and electric the machine.
Afterwards if I accelerated the tyres did not turn! and the disk smelled .....

Thanks

Loukas

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Loukas! Unfortunately it is very difficult to try and understand what you are saying, but I will try. Most confusing is what you mean by "electric the machine". Is that a battery warning or the alternator? The engine warning light? I don't understand, so I'll ignore it. ;)

So, you were driving for about a kilometre in sand when you got the traction control warning, and when you tried to accelerate, the wheels did not turn. It sounds like a clutch problem to me. In fact, a similar thing happened to me when I bought a Toyota Hilux a few years back. I took it on the beach and after a bit of driving, the clutch stank, and it was a sour stench indeed! I believe it was because of my inexperience at driving on soft sand that I overworked the clutch. If that's what it is, then you may have damaged the clutch. But don't worry about it too much, its lifetime might be shortened a bit, but will probably still be good for many thousands of kilometres yet to come.

Possibly the reason the engine turned but the wheels did not is because the clutch was overheated and needed to cool. Another possibility is that you'd lost traction to one of the wheels, and was turning while the others remained motionless.

Edit: Hmmm, thinking again about the other warning, misusing the clutch might explain it. If the other warning you got was the temperature warning, then you might've been revving the engine for little speed, and overheating the engine as there was too little airflow to cool the water in the radiator. That's possibly why Toyota said to wait a while before starting, to let the engine (and possibly the clutch) cool down.

I hope we're starting to get somewhere here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts