Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I am new RAV4 owner with the 3.5 V6 engine. I am totally new to Toyota as a brand. I was stocking up on some maintenance parts like filters, spark plugs, fluids, and I was intrigued by the TRD oil filter. I plan on towing my BMW to and from track events and I wanted to use more heavier duty parts. I compared the TRD oil filter and the "normal" oil filter and I noticed that the TRD filter has metal ends and it is a cotton gause filter while the normal filter is paper.

What is the overall consensus on the TRD oil filters here?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
My opinion is the TRD filters are very good, but expensive. And probably overkill for a normally driven RAV4, even if towing. I like the plain OEM Toyota filter, it's reasonably priced, and that's what Toyota recommends. The TRD oil filter is twice the price of the regular filter, but if that gives you peace of mind, great. They also make a TRD AIR filter that was around $60 last time I checked. Now that's overkill!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$12.00 for a filter is not that much. I am already paying $10.00 for OEM BMW paper filter for my 335i. I guess I've been conditioned to "BMW tax" :)

I was concerned that the TRD products are nothing more than just marketing. If they are really good, the extra money is worth it to me. I expect to drive less than 5000 per year so that's one oil change every year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts