Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Meh...

By the time the bean counters get through cutting costs and it gets to the dealerships, it'll be a cosmetic package with a couple of stickers, throatier exhaust, and if we're lucky, firmer suspension.

Oh wait... people already complain the suspension is too tight.

Ya... stickers and a fart can.

S

·
0 Posts
ROZFLMAO, CB Man!!!! Luv your name Rav n Us!!!! Very clever.... thought about change n mine to "softie sucker" but that could be taken the wrong way!!!! LOL! LOL! LOL!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Meh...

By the time the bean counters get through cutting costs and it gets to the dealerships, it'll be a cosmetic package with a couple of stickers, throatier exhaust, and if we're lucky, firmer suspension.

Oh wait... people already complain the suspension is too tight.
They do? Like whom?

I find the RAV4 suspension kinda soft. Or shall we say, comfortable. Nice for a family car and by no means too tight. This is for a Limited hybrid with 18" wheels (although it's now got 17" wheels with winter tires).

I'd have guessed few would want it any softer, unless they're the type that likes those Buick boats of yesteryear. If anything I would have expected the complaints to be that the suspension is a bit too soft.

BTW, I'm running 2 PSI over stock now and that gives a slightly more firm ride, although that ends up only being 1 PSI over the stock pressure for the RAV4s with the 17" OEM wheels.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think the TRD treatment (beyond stickers and body mods) would do well. What else in this segment and at this price point has a true performance package? If anything, the SE should have a TRD option for those who are serious about adding true performance.

Softex, bitter much? whining on here isn't going to fix your problem. Take it to someone who can help you, it's getting tired.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The story about the supposed RAV TRD has been reported previously. It doesn't appear to be anything to become excited about, given Toyota's usual manufacturing and marketing strategy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I saw a 2016 with a complete copy cat graphics as the Millen rally car in a parking lot in Orange the other day. Inside was bone stock and had a mountain bike on top.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Without some serious engine power I see this as a bit of a joke.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Really? I think there is a whole thread devoted to how bad the RAV rides and how it cannot take bumps in the road. A harder suspension will make that even worse. Personally, I think it rides great.
Ditto.
I LOVE the feel of our XLE on the road, but a few months after we bought it, we took it to an outdoor shooting range that was down a gravel road and that was the worst ride of my life.
We take the Tacoma to that range instead of the Rav... I'm planning on buying a Corolla in a week or two and am worried about that road.

Ya, the current Rav suspension may be a bit softer than a Rally car, but to try to market a firmer version would be a failure.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Without some serious engine power I see this as a bit of a joke.
Heh, yeah. Apparently most people don't remember (or know) that the "R" in "TRD" is for racing.

Racing a 3,500 lb vehicle with only 176 HP and 172 lb-ft of torque doesn't seem like much of a contest to me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
^^^ This RAV4 race car has a stock engine, so less HP than your V6:

New shocks and suspension though, and extra weight removed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They do? Like whom?

I find the RAV4 suspension kinda soft. Or shall we say, comfortable. Nice for a family car and by no means too tight. This is for a Limited hybrid with 18" wheels (although it's now got 17" wheels with winter tires).

I'd have guessed few would want it any softer, unless they're the type that likes those Buick boats of yesteryear. If anything I would have expected the complaints to be that the suspension is a bit too soft.

BTW, I'm running 2 PSI over stock now and that gives a slightly more firm ride, although that ends up only being 1 PSI over the stock pressure for the RAV4s with the 17" OEM wheels.
We test drove a new 2015 Rav4 (no idea which model it was) and the best I could say for the suspension was that it wallowed like it needed new shocks & springs. I mean, bounced repeatedly going slow over a speed bump, nose dipped at stops, and the body roll was like an old GMC mini-blazer. I asked the salesman if it needed new shocks or what and he just shrugged like it was supposed to be like that. Could NOT believe how bad it was, even compared to my sister's CR-V which at least has a fairly decent car type ride. This thing was horrible. Between that and the ugly looking front end, we searched out and bought a used 2012 at another dealer instead - sport model - and the suspension is like you said, a little firmer than need be.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
We test drove a new 2015 Rav4 (no idea which model it was) and the best I could say for the suspension was that it wallowed like it needed new shocks & springs. I mean, bounced repeatedly going slow over a speed bump, nose dipped at stops, and the body roll was like an old GMC mini-blazer. I asked the salesman if it needed new shocks or what and he just shrugged like it was supposed to be like that. Could NOT believe how bad it was, even compared to my sister's CR-V which at least has a fairly decent car type ride. This thing was horrible. Between that and the ugly looking front end, we searched out and bought a used 2012 at another dealer instead - sport model - and the suspension is like you said, a little firmer than need be.

I can only add that I've driven four 4.4 Rav4s, none had any of those ride qualities, ride is firm and well controlled on the 2015s, the 2016 Hybrid a bit softer and considerably quieter, I also almost test drove a CRV when I first started looking at the 4.4, but didn't get past the engine vibration that's supposedly had been fixed, started it in the lot and that was it!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
^^^ This RAV4 race car has a stock engine, so less HP than your V6:

New shocks and suspension though, and extra weight removed.
It would probably do ok in a rally race, where the *point* is to use low-horsepower vehicles that are close to stock, except for shock/suspension changes (presuming it gets quite a bit of badly needed lift), in harsher environments where pure flat-out speed isn't necessarily the best, given the rough road conditions.

BTW, just for fun here's what the previous generation RAV4 V6 could do in a more normal racing environment, on the outside track even:

R4W member Myxalplyx modified his V6 with a different cold air intake, different exhaust and some weight reduction and it routinely beats cars:

Now that's what I call racing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts