Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does it come with all screws and washers etc? also how much did you pay for the importing fees?
You're literally removing one and adding another. The thing is made in Canada so you only need to pay GST if you're a business. Add provincial tax if you import it as a person.

You can buy a hardware kit , part number is 412-a but it won't work on the non trd-off road models since the non TRD(and maybe adventure) use clips for the most part to hold the factory one in place.

The very back two(bottom of the picture) use a threaded screw for securing it, which I'm guessing will rip off should I get stuck on something big. The skid plate is very thin true, but the ribbing makes it stronger than something 3/16 and flat. The weight is slightly heavier than stock. I'm sending the stock one to get 3d scanned. I'm going to make some titanium ones. If anyone is interested let me know. Warning they're going to be expensive so the more people interested the cheaper our price is.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You're literally removing one and adding another. The thing is made in Canada so you only need to pay GST if you're a business. Add provincial tax if you import it as a person.

You can buy a hardware kit , part number is 412-a but it won't work on the non trd-off road models since the non TRD(and maybe adventure) use clips for the most part to hold the factory one in place. View attachment 163004
The very back two(bottom of the picture) use a threaded screw for securing it, which I'm guessing will rip off should I get stuck on something big. The skid plate is very thin true, but the ribbing makes it stronger than something 3/16 and flat. The weight is slightly heavier than stock. I'm sending the stock one to get 3d scanned. I'm going to make some titanium ones. If anyone is interested let me know. Warning they're going to be expensive so the more people interested the cheaper our price is.
Well I do have the TRD model but I'm not sure if that hardware kit will work either.
I'm assuming ordering it from my dealer wouldn't work as I have the 2020 model?
Also that's super thin, sounds like it doesn't add much of protection if you hit anything.
A titanium one would definitely be better. Do you know how much that will cost?

·
Registered
30 Posts

You can buy a hardware kit , part number is 412-a but it won't work on the non trd-off road models since the non TRD(and maybe adventure) use clips for the most part to hold the factory one in place. View attachment 163004
Well I do have the TRD model but I'm not sure if that hardware kit will work either.
I'm assuming ordering it from my dealer wouldn't work as I have the 2020 model?
Also that's super thin, sounds like it doesn't add much of protection if you hit anything.
A titanium one would definitely be better. Do you know how much that will cost?
The hardware kit will fit all models. You just have to enlarge the existing holes, install the rivet nuts ("hardware kit"), and source the corresponding bolts to fit. Reference my posts about it. IMO, you need bolts holding the skid in place instead of the plastic clips, or you might as well just keep the plastic shields.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A quick update, I went to my dealership and requested to order the skid plate. They said it only can be ordered for 2021 as it's a (special feature) for this model. That's pathetic from Toyota to be honest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
TOYOTA USA exclusive part. I ordered it from Bellingham Toyota , the two pieces are almost $1000 usd with shipping to Vancouver.
I don't know which dealership allows to ship to Canada. Most of them don't do that (or at least the ones that I contacted)
According to nospower, Bellingham Toyota ships to Canada. Did you try them? Looks very pricey though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used m6-1.0 x 25mm SEMS Hex Head Body Bolts with phosphate coating from Fastenal. They had them in stock at my local branch. The PN from Fastenal is: 0162791C for a pack of three. They are class 9.8 bolts which is in between equivalent SAE grade 5 and grade 8 and should be plenty strong enough. The factory bolts appear to be class 8.8.

Definitely why I got rid of the plastic clips. Without question, the LP skid and others are much more robust and could handle repetitive hard hits while rock crawling. However, for our purposes this Rav4 will be used for the occasional off-beaten path to get to a primitive campsite or riverbank to drop off a canoe. I have a built Jeep TJ Wrangler and JKU Wrangler for dedicated offroad adventures/rock crawling :). While the TRD skids are thin, mounted properly they feel strong enough to handle bottoming out on ruts or deflecting loose rocks (will have to put them to the test). The skids are braced in many areas by the front frame sections when bolted down as intended. The protection is worlds better than the plastic covers, and I like how the TRD skids cover the same area without any gaps.

Is the TRD skid overpriced for what it is? I think so. But coming from the world of Jeeps and endless aftermarket parts, I have grown to appreciate the fit, finish, and longevity from OEM parts where feasible. Not to say the LP skid isn't a quality unit (hard to mess up flat aluminum plate). I don't think the TRD skids are totally useless, but the design is obviously a compromise with MPG and weight reduction in mind. If you plan on pushing the limits of your Rav4 offroad with a lift and bigger tires, then yes one should go with thicker skids like from LP. But for my intended use, the TRD skids are a good balance between on-road and off-road performance combined with the fit and finish of a factory installed part.

My 2 cents on why I went with the TRD plates! Once the skids get some use or if they end up getting ripped off, I will be sure to update this thread! :LOL:
I too went the TRD route with my 2021 hybrid. Thing fit like a glove. My pic of the skidplate install doesn't show my modelista front lip, but when I added it on, I ended up tapping all the clip holes for M8. Bolts up nicely.

Unfortunately now I barely take the car on dirt, let alone off roading.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There will be an aftermarket rear skid plate at some point in the near future. However, it’s intended for gas models. It’s unclear if the skids will fit the hybrids. 5mm thick aluminum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The hardware kit will fit all models. You just have to enlarge the existing holes, install the rivet nuts ("hardware kit"), and source the corresponding bolts to fit. Reference my posts about it. IMO, you need bolts holding the skid in place instead of the plastic clips, or you might as well just keep the plastic shields.
I can confirm that it DOES NOT fit the 2021 Prime

·
Registered
145 Posts
M6 rivet nut tool from McMaster-Carr
I'm thinking of getting the both front metal skid plates for my Adventure. Is this the part number of the M6 rivet tool you bought from McMaster? 96349A764 $30.04

Also if you or someone else here could confirm if the hardware kit (PT938-42212-AA) has enough rivnuts to fasten both skid plates to the vehicle?

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
The TRD plates were a tad expensive for my purposes so I ordered the Northwoods Performance 3/16” aluminum skid plate for $339; waiting for FedEx to deliver it shortly. I’ll let y’all know how the install goes but it does look like it provides some good protection under the radiator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the both front metal skid plates for my Adventure. Is this the part number of the M6 rivet tool you bought from McMaster? 96349A764 $30.04

Also if you or someone else here could confirm if the hardware kit (PT938-42212-AA) has enough rivnuts to fasten both skid plates to the vehicle?

Thanks
Yes that's the correct rivet tool from McMaster. The hardware kit comes with the necessary rivnuts to fasten the rear portion to the frame. The front portion uses existing mounts and you do not need rivnuts for that section. However, you will need to find another method to attach the front portion to the plastic bumper. I used generic plastic push pins to do so. You could also modify the existing factory screws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would the oem skid plates fit a 2021 rav hybrid? Im getting the run around from Toyota. They have no idea if it would fit a hybrid model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you guys hear? 2021 TRD now comes with a skid plate! Still want rock rails and bull bars, but getting closer.

Update:
Here are the part numbers-
PT938-42210 is the front piece (RAV4 front skid plate)
PT938-42211 is the rear piece (RAV4 skid plate)
Would this fit a 2021 xle hybrid?

141 - 160 of 168 Posts