Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow morning i'm going to my friend's shop to get my TRD lowering springs, KYB sruts, strut mounts, and shocks installed... 8)
I am taking my camera with me to hopefully take some pics during the install... :wink:

I'll also take some pictures when I leave the shop too... :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Awesome DJ, really looking forward to seeing those picts. of the install. :thumbs_up:

As some of you may know, I already have the TRD lowering springs; and just waiting to save up enough $$$ on the Bilstein sport shocks. Boy they are expensive. :shock:

DJ, if you can, please post some before and after picts of your RAV from a distance; so we can all see the difference that the TRD lowering springs will drop the RAV. Just curious. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do the Bilstein shocks really make a big difference in handling? I had given some thought into stiffer springs and shocks, but the cost turned out to be way more than I would be willing to pay right now. But if the gains are significant, then it may justify the cost.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Please do not forget to charge your batterries or bring extra if you have to.... :wink: ...we do not want lame excuses that you were not able to take pics..... :lol: .....we need PICS......

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some pics... 8)

Sorry for the before pics, they are older pics but still show the stock height...

Here is the before pic:

After install pic:

I will post some miscellaneous install pics next...

The ride feels smoother not as bumpy over bumps... :p i'm happy with the results... :D

You can notice in the pics that the wheel well gap decreased... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of the TRD spring installed with the KYB strut mount :D

A pic of the front TRD spring installed

A pic of the rear TRD spring and KYB shock installed

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice job DJ!

Somewhere I read that KYB's were not meant to be lowered. Hopefully it won't cause you problems.

Sig

·
Registered
432 Posts
Since we're on the subject.

I just ordered my H&R lowering spring today. Gonna get teh Biltein sport shocks in the next week or so. I finally have gotten my car mojo back, so its time to play :twisted:

Good to see everyone is still toying around :lol:

ps. too bad i gotta fix up my work van too :cry:
less money for my baby............

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
dnylrq said:
Since we're on the subject.

I just ordered my H&R lowering spring today. Gonna get teh Biltein sport shocks in the next week or so. I finally have gotten my car mojo back, so its time to play :twisted:

Good to see everyone is still toying around :lol:

ps. too bad i gotta fix up my work van too :cry:
less money for my baby............
dnylrq, babies are FIRST, regardless.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys...

I am quite happy with the visual and performance differences....

Sig, the TRD springs aren't that significant of a drop to have an impact on the KYB shocks/struts....plus the KYB's are equivalent, if not better than OEM, and being brand new they will last a long time... :D
I could have probably lowered the RAV on stock struts and shocks, but being that they were high mileage, old and worn it was better to change them out... 8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
dnylrq, babies are FIRST, regardless.[/quote]

My RAV = my baby :lol:

I know that much, my kids always have what they need first. Then my baby, then my van, then me.

Thankfully work has picked up enough for me to play a bit. I was starting to go a bit nuts sitting on my butt since december with no money except to pay bills, and even that was too tight.

·
Registered
650 Posts
DJ Sueno said:
Thanks guys...

I am quite happy with the visual and performance differences....

Sig, the TRD springs aren't that significant of a drop to have an impact on the KYB shocks/struts....plus the KYB's are equivalent, if not better than OEM, and being brand new they will last a long time... :D
I could have probably lowered the RAV on stock struts and shocks, but being that they were high mileage, old and worn it was better to change them out... 8)

DJ,

What's the drop on the TRD springs?

Do you think the KYB's can handle the H&R's 1.5"F 1.4"R drop?

Sig

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sig228 said:
DJ,

What's the drop on the TRD springs?

Do you think the KYB's can handle the H&R's 1.5"F 1.4"R drop?

Sig
The TRD springs are suppose to lower 1" all around, but to me it looks like a little more than that...
I would think the KYB's with H&R's should be fine, but one thing to keep in mind is that since you're going with a lower drop, with an OEM or OEM type shock you may feel more of the road, as in harsher bumps, etc.... one of the reason people get the adjustables, is they can change the settings fit for their driving conditions and when the vehicle is lowered considerably, the adjustment capability may be something worth having...

If you have the money, you may want to consider some adjustables...

I think there are a few members on here that have H&R's but I don't recall if any pictures were posted...

Hope the info helps...

--DJ

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Derek said:
Great pics DJ, especially the before and after shots. :thumbs_up: Looks like a nice drop; visually different than OEM but not too low. I would guess that handling now is much improved. :D Can't wait to get mines installed now. :p
Thanks Derek... :D

I don't know if it's in my mind, but the RAV definitely feels smoother and more nimble... :p

Can't wait to see yours installed... keep us posted... 8)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
dnylrq said:
dnylrq, babies are FIRST, regardless.
My RAV = my baby :lol:

I know that much, my kids always have what they need first. Then my baby, then my van, then me.

Thankfully work has picked up enough for me to play a bit. I was starting to go a bit nuts sitting on my butt since December with no money except to pay bills, and even that was too tight.[/quote]

You're better off then me. I was laid off for two weeks. Right now my last pay check was the 28th...of last month. :roll: Bills are stacking up...fast. We were all reinstated last Monday, all 90,000 of us. My next check will be in on the 30th. :doh: But, life goes on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts