Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all fellow Rav4 owners, I would like to tell eveyone that the TRD supercharger is finally out :D.

It can be viewed at: www.trdusa.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
it does not say anything about RAV4 but they have the same engine.....2AZFE,,,2.4L engines...........so far nobody can testify that some or most of the TC's parts do fit in the later 4.2 RAV's

so it is still a hit and miss situation......i just bought a header for a scion TC hope it fits my RAV, if not i'll sell it in EBay......i will post pics when i get it.....

now all i have to do is research on one of Mensa's posts regarding installing a header.....hope he got some pics for me.... :wink:

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
I hope you guess check first regarding the supercharger. Man, I HOPE it DOES fit. :wink: I'd love to see some smoke coming from them front tires.

Regarding the Header installation. It is quite easy [3SFE engine] I really don't know about the RAV4 2AZFE engine. The critical part is [if the filter is in the same place] the filter clearance. If it's too close, I'd suggest an after market oil cooler. You might say "It doesn't need it" But right now I won't remove my Oil Cooler for nothing in the world. It will reduce engine oil temp, keep your engine with viscosity rich oil.

Watch for the O2 sensors and clearance of these. Also in the engine mounts. They might be different in the Scion and the RAV4. Once it's in and you've check for these problems, you will deal with the rest of the exhaust. A supercharged engine will love at least 2.5 diameter pipe. Be also ready to relocate O2 sensors. This might happen, maybe not. Or even plug and move it around. This is tricky but very easy for a muffler shop to do. So don't be intimidated by this. Want to take it a little more further. Do the DEI man. The Power of Cool. http://www.designengineering.com/ . I've been very impress by this produce. It will keep your engine bay cool, helping reduce the temp of all the parts under the hood. This includes all wires, rubber parts, plastics under the hood. This, without a double will extend your engine life, and electrical system.

Please ignore the engine type. But check out the Header Rap. I have install this rap from header to just before the Magnaflow muffler. It also helps to quite it down a little.

This is my Rap

Guys, I hope this help you to be inovative. You won't regret it for the world. Anything else, you know where to find me. Later.

Peace 8)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can i install my header with my stock exhaust? Is it always necessary to change the stock exhaust? Will this still give some improvements with regards to HP and Torque?

I still need to save more cash to completely mod my exhaust system, so hopefully i would still feel a bit of difference in performance even if i keep my stock exhaust for now...

Mensa, thanks BTW.... :p

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Yes you can. Of course the power will not be the same. But it will work.

Or do it by stages like I did. I bought and stored in the garage. When everything was in, I made my move. Very important, every time you make any kind of changes to the engine, reset your OBC. Just unplug the battery terminals for about 2 minutes or so.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just e-mailed TRD and asked them if the TC supercharger is compatible with the 2004 RAV4 and the answer was.............................................a big NNNOOOO!

they said that the supercharger was specifically made for the scion TC....

well, correct me if i am wrong but is TRD just lying to protect their own interest? I guess it will work but has more complicated procedure than installing it in a TC.

anyways, if someone is daring enough and have the money to risk they would probably do anything to make things work......if i win the lottery maybe i will do it.....hehehe!...... :twisted:

cheers!

MENSA,
i got the alphawerks header by the way and it is a PERFECT FIT!!! like putting on a glove.....have no time to install it yet though.....busy studying for my certification......but will keep everybody posted......

will also post installation of the CEL fix using a spark plug Non-fouler.....for the second O2 located at the S-Pipe.....hopefully i will pass and would celebrate it by installing my header...hehehe!

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
pyxy_567 said:
I just e-mailed TRD and asked them if the TC supercharger is compatible with the 2004 RAV4 and the answer was.............................................a big NNNOOOO!

well, correct me if i am wrong but is TRD just lying to protect their own interest? I guess it will work but has more complicated procedure than installing it in a TC.

anyways, if someone is daring enough and have the money to risk they would probably do anything to make things work......if i win the lottery maybe i will do it.....hehehe!...... :twisted:

cheers!

MENSA,
i got the alphawerks header by the way and it is a PERFECT FIT!!! like putting on a glove.....have no time to install it yet though.....busy studying for my certification......but will keep everybody posted......

will also post installation of the CEL fix using a spark plug Non-fouler.....for the second O2 located at the S-Pipe.....hopefully i will pass and would celebrate it by installing my header...hehehe!
Well, the first word that came to my mind was................................................Awesome, outstanding, well done, go for it. Now everyone in the forum with a RAV4.2 will be watching. Great!! BAM, Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
pyxy_567 said:

Did you ask what exactly did not fit? Maybe they are not lying but the person there simply did not know. For legal reasons the aftermarket companies tend not to sell products for vehicles where the product has not been completely tested. One would think that TRD would have enough of a market of RAV4 owners that they would want to easily modifiy the Scion version to fit the RAV exactly. It has to be very close with some minor brackertry, ECM programming, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also want to know why the application doesn’t apply. What if we have like 5 or 10 people willing to get the TRD S.C.? I guess they can still consider the potential market is there. I am willing to get one for my Rav.

Can anyone tell me what other components comes with the TRD s.c. kit beside the s.c. itself? (Ex. ECM, bigger injectors…etc)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cal_Rav said:
I also want to know why the application doesn’t apply. What if we have like 5 or 10 people willing to get the TRD S.C.? I guess they can still consider the potential market is there. I am willing to get one for my RAV.

Can anyone tell me what other components comes with the TRD s.c. kit beside the s.c. itself? (Ex. ECM, bigger injectors…etc)

you can check this out......hope it helps!

http://trdusa.com/tcsupercharger.asp

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks pretty simple to install

The SC looks pretty simple to install, especially as the RAV has more under hood space than the Tc. I'm still wondering why the rated HP is so low. I mean Acura gets 200 hp from their small 4 bangers without a Supercharger. Why would someone buy a Tc and them spend that much extra to get the HP when they could buy an RSX S for about the same total amount? As for it only being offered with the manual tyranny, I think that is because quite frankly the Tc is a slug with the AT. So Toyota probably figures that few who buy the AT would bother getting a SP anyway. That said, I would think that the RAV should be able to handle the extra power quite easily, whichever transmission it has. The diesel offered in Europe puts out similar torque, and the centrifugal SC produces most of its power at the upper RPM band anyway, where the regularly aspirated engine starts to wheeze so it does not add much stress to the drive train. I also do think that Toyota is not above understating HP. Just from my seat of the pants test I think that the RAV version of the motor puts out more torque anyway. It’s not that uncommon for theoretically identical engines to produce much different power in different applications. The manufacture just uses the ratings on the one that gets the best gas mileage and emissions tests to grandfather in the rest. I have to admit that its still tempting though to try it out if the Toyota will honor the warranty if its put in a RAV. There are also LOTS of 4 cylinder Camry owners out there who are probably interested in a bit more power. .javascript:emoticon(':?')

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cal_Rav said:
I also want to know why the application doesn’t apply. What if we have like 5 or 10 people willing to get the TRD S.C.? I guess they can still consider the potential market is there. I am willing to get one for my RAV.

Rienolf said:
The SC looks pretty simple to install, especially as the RAV has more under hood space than the Tc. I'm still wondering why the rated HP is so low. I mean Acura gets 200 hp from their small 4 bangers without a Supercharger. Why would someone buy a Tc and them spend that much extra to get the HP when they could buy an RSX S for about the same total amount? As for it only being offered with the manual tyranny, I think that is because quite frankly the Tc is a slug with the AT. So Toyota probably figures that few who buy the AT would bother getting a SP anyway. That said, I would think that the RAV should be able to handle the extra power quite easily, whichever transmission it has. The diesel offered in Europe puts out similar torque, and the centrifugal SC produces most of its power at the upper RPM band anyway, where the regularly aspirated engine starts to wheeze so it does not add much stress to the drive train. I also do think that Toyota is not above understating HP. Just from my seat of the pants test I think that the RAV version of the motor puts out more torque anyway. It’s not that uncommon for theoretically identical engines to produce much different power in different applications. The manufacture just uses the ratings on the one that gets the best gas mileage and emissions tests to grandfather in the rest. I have to admit that its still tempting though to try it out if the Toyota will honor the warranty if its put in a RAV. There are also LOTS of 4 cylinder Camry owners out there who are probably interested in a bit more power. .javascript:emoticon(':?')

TRD actually had really conservative #'s for the tC supercharger, 200 hp and 175 ft/lb torque. so conservative, that a supercharged tC dynos 195 whp and 173 ft/lb torque. that equates to roughly 220 hp and 195 ft/lb at the crank!!! :D

inconclusion, we could have a choice of supercharged or turbocharged from ZPI. they are located in louisville, KY.

Read my post about the potential turbo kit altered for the Rav4 in the DIY and MODS 4.2...ZPI could make kits for us considering it's the same engine. they just have to do new piping and find an intercooler with the dimensions to fit. also, ZPI is doing modifications to the tC superchargers - new pulleys, intercooler, emanage, etc. to get ALOT more hp :twisted:

anybody wanting alot more power and would like to be supercharged or turbocharged?

·
Registered
396 Posts
For some of us, it's not a question of whether we want a turbo or blower, it's how the hell do we put that stuff on and still pass emissions? Now unless you got the bucks or mechanics to put on and off that stuff, it's not very cost effective. Course, you could get it all legalized thru a state Ref, but then that's even more money. ::sigh:: I wish we didn't have emissions testing here.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slayer said:
For some of us, it's not a question of whether we want a turbo or blower, it's how the hell do we put that stuff on and still pass emissions? Now unless you got the bucks or mechanics to put on and off that stuff, it's not very cost effective. Course, you could get it all legalized thru a state Ref, but then that's even more money. ::sigh:: I wish we didn't have emissions testing here.
you will pass emissions if you keep your stock header and cat in your exhaust system. a turbo deletes the header since you need a turbo manifold, so it might be hard to pass with only 1 of 2 cats. by the way, the 1st cat, located in the header, does the most work... if you live in cali, you should probably consider the supercharger. do they just test your exhaust or visual inspection too? if it's visual, a turbo might be a bad idea :cry: . but, the TRD supercharger is emissions legal :D , so you should have no problem!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Slayer said:
There are all sorts of ways to get everything to work and still pass emissions. If you're doing a roots style supercharger and you are able to retain your stock header/cat assembly, you'll have the best chance of not throwing codes and still passing emissions.

The biggest problems people have with passing emissions is due to people buying headers or removing their cats. There is nothing wrong with headers and they actually would be benificial if you got a supercharger to let the engine breath.

However, the problem is this: Headers have longer primary tubes. This causes the O2 sensor locations to possibly change. I know the 01 & 02 Rav4's have 4 02 sensors I think. I haven't bothered to verify this, but I would assume that the top 2 are there to verify your a/f ratio. These are important and must be retained for your vehicle to run.

The second set, below the cat are not necessary to have in order for the vehicle to run, but they are an integral part of emissions. The second set of 02 sensors monitor exhaust coming out of the cat and depending on the reading, tell the computer if your cat is or is not working properly. If someone removes the cat, you get a code because the 02 sensor thinks that the cat is broken.

Now you went out and bought a header, great! If the header is made well enough, the two top 02 sensors hopefully fit with no problem and screw right in. Now you still want to meet emissions, so you plan on installing a cat after the header. The only problem is the cat is moved probably 12-14 inches lower than stock. Your second set of 02 sensors are no longer long enough to reach. So even if you could pass a smog test, the normal emission test that simply plugs into the vehicle computer will show a code for improperly working cat and you will fail. Some people have had luck with lengthing the 02 wires, but 02 sensors are so fragile, that soldering extra wire length can change the impediance that the computer "sees" and therefore you get a code again.

Newer technology that is out is called 02 sensor simulators. These are designed to interupt the single between the SECOND set of 02 sensors and the computer and simulate the correct signal to the copmuter. This is promising, but every computer system is different. If the 1AZ and 2AZ engines are that similar to a TC, you could get the one made for them. (I saw mention of this in the TC turbo kit thread)

And another way is to weld in other 02 bungs into your exhaust pipe, but space them away from the exhaut pipe slightly, so that only the very tip of the 02 sensor "sees" the exhaust gas. It would probably take some trial and error, but would have a good chance of working. This tecnique has been used with success before the 02 simulators came out.

So, if you are able to get all of the above to work out, so you don't throw codes, you can now move on to fuel management! Don't want to blow up your motor that you just boosted do you???

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ if you want power and live in cali, hands down, get the TRD supercharger. again, it's emissions legal...like all TRD stuff. even better, it's warranted, so it's conservative for the engine, drivetrain, etc (based on tC).

you don't want a header, exhaust, or intake if you're really concerned with passing emissions (keep those stock :wink: ). ZPI's pullies, intercooler, and emanage/tuning will be plenty to get the power you need AND STILL PASS EMISSIONS :D .

·
Registered
875 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts