Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to protect the paint on a brand new RAV? Do most people put a good wax/polish on right from the start? If so, what kind of wax//polish do people recommend?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I started a thread on Zaino products in Off Topic (not being sure where it belonged) but here's the link to it.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2422

The one thing that I forgot to add and update in that thread was that I used Meguiars for the rims and tires and did one washing since my initial detailing. That wash was a breeze. Dirt rinsed right off with the power washer. I barely used any suds and the tell-tale sign was when I wiped it down, no dirt residue on the towels. Did a quick spritz with Z6 to finish and still baby-bottom soft.

·
Registered
191 Posts
'The key'

The key is to start good car care from the 'get-go'

I use Meguiar's, but Mothers and Zano product are good too. I try to wax every other month and use a quick detailer after every washing. This way you can stay on top of dirt build up. Make sure whatever brand you buy is 'clear coat safe' I know some of the Zano products are paint specific. I also clay once a year to keep contaminates from eating away the nice smooth finish.

Congratulation on your new ride :D

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I agree, start at the beginning. I wax on average about once a month, but I don't find that I need any fancy or expensive products to get a good result. One tip that works well for me is to make sure you wax the wheels -- brake dust will wash right off in your regular wash, without the need for harsh spray-on chemical cleaners.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would suggest staying away from using a polish on your new vehicle. Polish usually implies a fine grit in the product to smooth the surface and eliminate very minor scratches. I use a paint sealant every other month, frequent washing, and a clay bar treatment once or twice a year.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
puttputt said:
One question, do you wax the wheels once a month too?
Yep, whenever I wax the car I wax the wheels as well. I've never needed to use any wheel cleaners to get brake dust off the wheels of any of my vehicles. That said, I wash my wheels whenever I wash the car. For those who only pay attention to their wheels when they've already turned black, this tip probably won't be as effective.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Allow paint to cure first

I've heard that it takes a couple of months for new paint to fully cure, and that you shouldn't apply anything to the paint until the curing process has completed.

It also scares me that some are waxing their vehicles every month or two. Waxing/polishing is a process that actually removes a bit of material from your paint. You don't want to be doing this too often.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Polishing removes paint but waxing most definitely should not, if the paint is in good condition. And these days automotive paint from the factory should be 100% cured before you get it. They bake the finish on. Aftermarket paint jobs, however, do require time to cure before you should do anything to them.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may sound funny...but it works...

For years after I have washed and dry my rims I give them a quick spray with pledge furniture wax. I spray all 4 then go back to the 1st one and wipe them all down.

Its easy, fast and keeps break dust from sticking to the rims.

Dirt is repelled as well.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol...Yes or non-lemon scented works great too.

I just give it a quick spray holding the can about 8 inches away and I make one sweep around the rim.

It really works well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
With a new finish use sealant
Is a sealant applicable with a clear coat?
If so, what name/brand would you recommend?

The entire parking lot at the Mrs' work gets bombared with some sort of small tree sap dots that sticks to the windows, rubber trim and finish like super glue. This happens in the spring and fall. I can remove the majority of them with my pressure washer but theres about 10% that need to be manually pricked off, a real PITA!
I'd like to find some super slick sealant or other finish protector that may aid in removing these little dots. Especially before she starts parking her newly ordered Rav4 there.

Volfandt

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
There are many different sealants out there. I use different ones at different times but you may wanna look into the new turtle wax Ice polish/sealant. Its a clear drying sealant that can be applied in the heat of summer sun and can be applied to black trim too and it is sopossed to wear well.

http://www.turtlewax.com/

·
Registered
458 Posts
gtalum said:
Polishing removes paint but waxing most definitely should not, if the paint is in good condition. And these days automotive paint from the factory should be 100% cured before you get it. They bake the finish on. Aftermarket paint jobs, however, do require time to cure before you should do anything to them.
WORD UP :!: Couldn't have said it any better. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts