Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly me parked under a Evergreen Tree so My Black RAV would be out of the hot sun and I guess it was so hot tree pitch dripped onto the spare tire cover and roof.
Anyone have any recommendations on a tree pitch removal that won't screw up my paint?
Did a search but nothing came up under this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

BooneDog :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've heard cooking oil will help disolve tree pitch. I would try it first. If that doesnt' work then...

http://www.idavette.net/detail.htm

Remove Tree Sap & Pitch
To remove tree sap or pine pitch from your vehicle's surface, use finger nail polish remover on a cotton ball. After the sap is removed, make a paste of water and baking soda to wash the affected area, then apply wax.
Or...
A gentler way, Use mineral sprits (it will also remove tar). Use a soft "terry" towel, or wash cloth dampened with mineral sprits. After removal, Wash the car and apply wax to the affected area.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sig

R

·
0 Posts
BooneDog said:
Silly me parked under a Evergreen Tree so My Black RAV would be out of the hot sun and I guess it was so hot tree pitch dripped onto the spare tire cover and roof.
Anyone have any recommendations on a tree pitch removal that won't screw up my paint?
Did a search but nothing came up under this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

BooneDog :D

My Corolla had the same thing last week. I had 3 drips.. I cleaned it with PEPSI bottle plastic cap, while hot water was constantly poured by somebody. All came off ok, except one place I think I rubbed it too much and if I look at it from a certain angle, the paint shine is gone a little......
i messed up. I should not have hurried. Now I have to live with it.
I am never parking under a G D tree again.

Let us know what worked.

N

·
0 Posts
Mineral Spirits. I use this on all my cars for road tar, bugs, anything that soap and water cannot remove. Never harms the paint or plastic and easily rinses off with water. Once I parked my car next to an asphalt plant, and when I came out it was covered with asphalt particulants that were baked on by the sun. Road and tar remover didn't take it off but mineral spirits easily removed it with a minimum of effort, as easy as wiping it down. I have recommended this to all my friends.

A

·
0 Posts
Sig228 said:
I've heard cooking oil will help disolve tree pitch. I would try it first. If that doesnt' work then...

http://www.idavette.net/detail.htm

Remove Tree Sap & Pitch
To remove tree sap or pine pitch from your vehicle's surface, use finger nail polish remover on a cotton ball. After the sap is removed, make a paste of water and baking soda to wash the affected area, then apply wax.
Or...
A gentler way, Use mineral sprits (it will also remove tar). Use a soft "terry" towel, or wash cloth dampened with mineral sprits. After removal, Wash the car and apply wax to the affected area.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sig
Hi Sig,,, I just wanna say thank you for sharing this information to us. Hoping that this will not be the last post that I could be read written by you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Goo Gone works for me. Start with a small amount on a clean soft cloth and rub gently. Apply more as needed then wash with warm soapy water. Rinse and apply a fresh coat of wax when done. I’ve also used Simple Green and that works fairly well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts