Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting. Toyota ECU are very difficult to modify. When I installed the Next Level Performance module, the power was there. But as time went by, I created a habit of zooming my way through traffic. First of all, it does do a hole in your wallet. if you watch closely, you can see your fuel gauge go south, fast. It consumes gas quite a bit. But also, I kind of notice the the OBC was also adjusting to it. The solution, activate it sporadically, when you really need it. When you don't use it for a while, you notice the power when you do use it.

OK, you can start asking why. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I see. And how do you install this unit? Sounds like a neat gadget for getting a little more juice out of the RAV for when passing on the freeway, only it isn't NOS.

J

·
0 Posts
mensajero said:
Here you have all the details.

http://www.nextlevelracing.com/
hey mensajero would u recommend using the tri-phase on the 3sfe engine like how it is already a fuel econo rav or it would still give me that effect that you talk about? and is it that as u switch it on u get the performance same time or it takes a while to warm up?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jamrockrav, I have mine installed inside the ash tray. Since I don't smoke, what better place to have it. This little gadget works well. But don't expect neck breaking torque. You can feel the power in high gear. But lets say, you are passing someone. All of a sudden, a track is coming in the opposite direction. Just hit the switch, and your RAV4 will pickup about 20HP. But also it works best with a good intake and exhaust. I have an excellent intake setup with the [not street legal] K&N Apollo Filter. Then I installed a good exhaust[yeah, it sounds loud, all the alarms go off when I'm driving down the street.:lol"] With a Magnaflow Muffler and 2.25 pipe. Performance Catalytic converter, and Performance Resonator, Sway bar and the works. Get your project going, you'll be surprise as how much power you can get. Trust me Mann.:lol:

J

·
0 Posts
ok thanks man i will let my bother-in-law order that tri-phase for me so i can give it a try wit my rav i also am planning to get the k&n CAI installed but as for the exhuast i cant go up to that right now but i will work with wat u say and see wat happens thank man :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just ordered myself a Tri-phase module. Does this thing just plug into the OBDII port? If so, am I able to use a ScanGuageII in conjunction with the Tri-phase?

And, Mensa, what is the reason for your Apollo pod being not street legal? Seems kinda dumb for a filter pod to not be "street" legal.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
J-san said:
Just ordered myself a Tri-phase module. Does this thing just plug into the OBDII port? If so, am I able to use a ScanGuageII in conjunction with the Tri-phase?

And, Mensa, what is the reason for your Apollo pod being not street legal? Seems kinda dumb for a filter pod to not be "street" legal.
The Tri-Phase module doesn't hook up to the OBD. It hooks up to the air sensor. I just needs one wire for it to work. Look for the air sensor on the intake funnel. It's the black pointy object that you took out of the big black box. [In my RAV4] you will look for a brown wire with a yellow like. [It might be different in other RAV4] just hook it up and the other is ground. Reset the OBC, and your good to go.

Regarding the Apollo filter. I think it's because it really give your engine more power and a deeper sound. Other then that, I really don't know why. I know that it's illegal, because it sees so on their web site. Hook it up the way I have, and you will see what I mean :wink:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I see. I remember having to reloacte the air sensor whenI swapped out the intake. So when you wired in your Tri-phase, did you have to drill a small hole in the firewall? Yours is in the ashtray, so I take it you ran the wire out back under the center console, thru the firewall, and to the air sensor?

My Secret Weapon intake also gives a deeper, louder sound, but only slightly. It was louder when I had the filter pod unshrouded and sucking in air from the engine bay. Now that it has a similar set-up to yours, the sound is like stock. But the exhaust is considerably deeper and louder, so it probably masks the intake noise.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
J-san said:
I see. I remember having to reloacte the air sensor whenI swapped out the intake. So when you wired in your Tri-phase, did you have to drill a small hole in the firewall? Yours is in the ashtray, so I take it you ran the wire out back under the center console, thru the firewall, and to the air sensor?

My Secret Weapon intake also gives a deeper, louder sound, but only slightly. It was louder when I had the filter pod unshrouded and sucking in air from the engine bay. Now that it has a similar set-up to yours, the sound is like stock. But the exhaust is considerably deeper and louder, so it probably masks the intake noise.
J-san, I made a small hole and pass the wires and then bought a small grommet at my local "Nuts and Bolts" store. It looks stock. The filter pumps gobs of cold air. Like my son told me the other day. "The more the Merrier" [BTW, none of us drink, just a saying.] :)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sig228 said:
Mensajero,

Have you ever opened the Tri-Phase up?

I wonder if it's just a resistor in a fancy box.

Link: http://www.dfwstangs.net/tech/cppp/CPPP.htm

Sig
I also had one of those. It was given to me when I went to see the World Challenge Racing when they came to Puerto Rico some years ago [I think it was 2002]. I installed it but the only problem was it's always on. You cannot control it from the driver seat. The module has a switch. Without a doubt, the Module gives more power.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you only place a switch between the resistor and sensor, turning it off would render the sensor useless since you completely break the circuit to and from the sensor -you'd get a "check engine light" for sure.

For it to work properly, you'd need to run a separate circuit for the "normal" sensor and one for the resistor - like switching tracks at a train yard. For driver side control, a switch box in the cabin that allows you to toggle between either circuit is needed. If you really want to be fancy, you could rig up a series of resistors of varying resistances - kinda like the Tri-phase module. Have a 100k Ohm resistor as the "+" setting and a 200k Ohm (or what have you) resistor as the "++" setting. I'm curious to see how this will turn out. But I've already ordered a Tri-phase module, so I'll stick with that.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, guys, don't drown in a glass of water. I used that little resistor and to tell you the truth, it wasn't that much of a difference regarding performance. It did eat up a lot of gas. :?

So, I first bought the The G-Box Performance Module for about a year, it worked will. But then, I installed the Header and all hell broke loose. I notice that the engine needed more gas. I called NLP and I told them I was interested in the Tri-Phase. We negotiated and came to an agreement. The arrangement was , I sent the The G-Box Performance Module back to NLP and they sent me the The Tri-Phase Performance Module. I sent the difference of, I guess we came to the arrangement of $50.00. I installed it and until I install the Turbo kit. It is staying on.

Yes, some members a long time ago asked me if I could open the Tri-Phase to see what was inside. I told them to send me the $149.95 dollars to me just in case anything went wrong. After that I would send them their money back as long as my Tri-Phase worked properly. Aha, they stopped emailing me. :wink:

The bottom line is, if you are wondering how much power it makes? It makes about 20 more HP to the wheels. You can feel the engine pulling when you turn it on, no doubt about that. Ask a Matrix the other day. :lol: [going up hill, he just saw me go bye and couldn't do anything about it. I just waved good bye]

1 - 20 of 48 Posts