Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to connect a trickle charger/maintainer to my hybrid RAV4, where do I connect it? To both positive and negative terminals to battery in the back or can I use the positive terminal under the hood and negative clip to the metal frame? I looked and couldn’t find this in any threads. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I want to connect a trickle charger/maintainer to my hybrid RAV4, where do I connect it? To both positive and negative terminals to battery in the back or can I use the positive terminal under the hood and negative clip to the metal frame? I looked and couldn’t find this in any threads. Thanks!
I for the life of me cannot figure out why Toyota is not addressing this battery drainage issue. I do not have this type of RAV4 but feel it is an issue...not owners leaving something on to drain the battery. Since your wanting to put a trickle charger on your car, what I have done is wire the trickle charger wires to a 12v plug that will plug into your accessories receptacle. Purchase the plug at most auto parts stores. Please verify polarity prior to wiring the new plug. This allows for repeatable connection without ever worrying about making a connection error. Run the cord out the window and roll it up until it nearly closes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
what I have done is wire the trickle charger wires to a 12v plug that will plug into your accessories receptacle
This won't work, because the ACC sockets will be electronically closed when you shut off the engine. So no power on the socket our or in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still didn’t answer my question though. I don’t have the battery issue yet.... but just preparing myself. Where do I hook up the trickle charger if I do? Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can also use odb2 connector
But it is limited to below 2.5 amp
And you need to make sure you have reverse current diode protection.
I have been trying to find the proper connection wire for this but no luck so far. It is either too expensive or not exists.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hooked up a trickle charger directly to the 12v battery in the back and threaded the charger's plugin connector into the rear compartment. It worked fine when I was out of town for five weeks during the winter. The car was in an unheated garage. I have left the plugin connector attached to the battery so it can be used again any time. I also have a rechargeable jump start pack that I carry in the car. My 2019 Hybrid Limited has had no battery drain problems, but with the reports of this problem in the 2020s, I am just being cautious.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I for the life of me cannot figure out why Toyota is not addressing this battery drainage issue. I do not have this type of RAV4 but feel it is an issue...not owners leaving something on to drain the battery. Since your wanting to put a trickle charger on your car, what I have done is wire the trickle charger wires to a 12v plug that will plug into your accessories receptacle. Purchase the plug at most auto parts stores. Please verify polarity prior to wiring the new plug. This allows for repeatable connection without ever worrying about making a connection error. Run the cord out the window and roll it up until it nearly closes.
I had the same battery drain issue. Please go to your dealer and get the software update which corrects how the car connects to the internet. It keeps trying until your battery dies. Just tell them that your SOS button goes from green to red light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Be sure you do NOT use a cheap trickle charger for extended periods. It can overcook your battery.

Instead, get a battery maintainer (AKA "smart" charger).

It'll keep your battery well-charged, will not overcharge, AND goes thru a maintenance cycle that extends battery life. And by de-sulphating, it can (sometimes) breath new life into dead battery.

I've used the same CTEK 3200 for over 10 years... continuously for months on a Corvette during winter storage, no problem. More recently, on my 2019 CRV during stay-at-home.

Battery Tender and NOCO also make excellent smart chargers. Expect to pay about $70.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are battery posts in the fuse box that travel back to the battery in the trunk. If you're using aligator clips be careful not to connect to the plastic side of the connector.
I got this info from watching a very informative youtube by an expert that teaches out of Weber University. (I think I got that right)
It's worth the time to watch his lecture.
cheers
Joe F
P.S. the 12 volt is NOT you're every day normal battery but some kind of special (?Glass?) battery??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts