Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got what I thought was an astronomical quote for some vinyl work on my rav. Decided why not buy some and try it out for myself? It was not as bad as I thought and the knifeless tape was the clear MVP in the project. I feel I could likely have done a bit better, but for my first interaction with vinyl of any kind, not bad! For anyone thinking of going this route, buy Avery film, it is regarded as the easiest to deal with and I can attest to its forgiving nature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fancy! This is for hood glare?
If the vinyl were more flat, then it could be more for that purpose. However, I think this is a “for looks” type thing. It adds interest to the front end in my opinion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@AdventureBuild Looks great! Nice Job. I'll be checking out Avery when I get around to doing my roof and A pillars. I went on their site the other day but looks like you actually have to reach out to them for a quote.
Thanks! You can actually buy the product I used on amazon, it’s Avery SW900. I bought a 36”x60” roll for about $60.00.

·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
203 Posts
Thanks! You can actually buy the product I used on amazon, it’s Avery SW900. I bought a 36”x60” roll for about $60.00.

few sellers on ebay that have it too and sell by sizes, decent prices

·
Registered
2011 Barcelona Red Rav4 Sport
31 Posts
You might also try your local sign/vinyl shop as they might be willing to sell you the raw vinyl. They could even cut out the shape for you if you don't trust yourself to lay a straight line with the knifeless tape.

Reactions: AdventureBuild

·
Registered
136 Posts
You might also try your local sign/vinyl shop as they might be willing to sell you the raw vinyl. They could even cut out the shape for you if you don't trust yourself to lay a straight line with the knifeless tape.
True, good point. They also may have some remnants they would be willing to part with on the cheap ;)

I really wanted the ice edge roof, but there were only 3 delivered in the northwest at the time I got mine. They said it was going to be a month and a half to 2 months and I couldn't wait that long.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thought I’d share an application idea I had after seeing my blue masking tape laying in the garage. Too bad I didn’t also have a lighter blue or light grey to try a second stripe. However, I like how its a little understated as a single stripe. If you think it’s weaksauce let me know - I’d love to hear other ideas.
The pictures aren’t great.
As for the hood, I’d consider a bright matte silver maybe.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 TRD Offroad
11 Posts
Thought I’d share an application idea I had after seeing my blue masking tape laying in the garage. Too bad I didn’t also have a lighter blue or light grey to try a second stripe. However, I like how its a little understated as a single stripe. If you think it’s weaksauce let me know - I’d love to hear other ideas.
The pictures aren’t great.
As for the hood, I’d consider a bright matte silver maybe.

View attachment 152657 View attachment 152658 View attachment 152659
Could go for some old school Toyota colours teq style

·
Registered
193 Posts
Could go for some old school Toyota colours teq style
Yeah I was considering that also but I lean towards avoiding anything TRD retro red/orange/yellow unless it were more widely used by Toyota for all vehicles. My history could be wrong... But I think mimicking or bringing up to date the possibility of broadening the color schemes is fair play given this is a new era. Personally would love to see 3 fat stripes over the front wheelwell but unfortunately this car isn’t tuned to be anything special so the design wouldn’t match the performance.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 TRD Offroad
11 Posts
Yeah I was considering that also but I lean towards avoiding anything TRD retro red/orange/yellow unless it were more widely used by Toyota for all vehicles. My history could be wrong... But I think mimicking or bringing up to date the possibility of broadening the color schemes is fair play given this is a new era. Personally would love to see 3 fat stripes over the front wheelwell but unfortunately this car isn’t tuned to be anything special so the design wouldn’t match the performance.

Fair enough. While I, in no way, am saying this improves the performance; I do have a TRD and was thinking about doing the slashes but as you stated, in different colour. May not meet the performance/ branding of the specific vehicles they used on but does had the TRD name. I have the lunar rock so was considering doing a light white, light grey, and then maybe a little bit darker grey akin to the lunar rock.

Would be an ode to my Tacoma that I loved but don't have anymore lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts