Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dearest and I took a road trip from Dallas to Miami, and back. It was my last week of work before retiring, and, I didn't want to do the usual flying routine.

2010 RAV4, V6, Base model. Total miles 3491.3. Average mpg 28.6. Highest mpg on a tank ~33 - we could literally feel the wind pushing us! Car fully loaded with 2 adults, 2 dogs, luggage, cooler etc approx weight 500 lbs plus. Average speed on freeway 65 - 70, highest 75 for brief periods. A/C on almost always.

Road conditions on our way to Miami and back were terrific; very well maintained roads. Dallas thru Jackson, MS, down thru Hattiesburg thru Mobile to Pensacola, then next day down 75 to Miramar FL. Traffic at Mobile, AL was really slow going. 75S was incredibly busy, with complete stoppages ~ Tampa. Loved the beaches at Jupiter (dog friendly), Pompano and Sombrero Beach on the way to Key West.

On the way back, stayed at treasure island, FL. incredible beach, very relaxing. we came back on I10 and Baton Rouge was a complete mess. Huge backups that we had to get around by going to city streets. I49 to shreveport was surprisingly busy.

most rest stops were in FL most reliable place for food - McDonalds - clean, with lots of options. best stops for gas- truck stops like Pilot, Love's.

The silver beast performed, as always, beautifully. Reliable, spacious, strong, I love this car. Now at 70,000 miles. plan to keep till 250,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Sounds like a nice relaxing trip and the MPG is amazing. Actual fill ups or trip computer info?
Congratulations on your retirement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MPG

I kept all my gas receipts, and set odometer B to 0 at the start of the trip. divided the miles travelled by total gas purchased.

always filled up when I filled up gas.

and yes, I was astonished at the mpg.

did I answer the question?

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Indeed you did, thank you.

I must say that this makes no sense to me, always filled up when I filled up gas. What????

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
I would think the op meant that he always filled up when he stopped for gas...
Yep, meaning he knows how to calculate mileage accurately, unlike too many posters we get. Probably used odometer A for each tank and B for the whole trip.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Indeed you did, thank you.

I must say that this makes no sense to me, always filled up when I filled up gas. What????
Probably because some people try to estimate how much gas they'll need and pay that amount up front. May or may not fill the tank.

·
Registered
263 Posts
well done.

I keep it all on fuelly personally - Rav4 V6 (Toyota RAV4) | Fuelly

sounds like the fwd does get a good tick better mpg than the awd. I know for sure if I start going 70mph and above, the mpg drops off pretty precipitously

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that is exactly what I did.

I set odomoter A to 0 every time I filled up.
I set odometer B to ) at the beginning of the trip, and looked at it when the trip completed for total miles traveled.
I kept every gas receipt so I knew the total gallons purchased.
I also measured mpg for every fill up, and the fluctuations were wild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts