Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I just checked my rav for trouble codes today after doing a fair bit of work over the last month. I just need confirmation that I diagnosed the codes right as I have not done this before.
I got 2 flashes - pause - 1 flash - pause - 2 flashes - pause - 2 flashes - pause - 2 flashes - pause - 5 flashes - 5 sec pause.

I have worked this out as code 21, code 22 and code 25, am I right? There was no CEL lit and never has been in the 3 years (2000 miles) I have owned it so would these be old codes in the ecu?
I have renewed the 02 sensor and the coolant sensor before this but have only done about 100 miles since fitting , the other code 25 is for lean mix according to the fault code sheet I have downloaded?
Any help greatly appreciated
regards
Kevin

·
Registered
432 Posts
Your right about the codes, you used the paper clip on the OBD terminal, they all point to the 02 which youve changed, did you get the correct one, there are so many listed, too many are shown as universal.
Take the negative cable off the battery for a minute or two and replace, that should clear the codes, I suspect that as you still have the symptoms though they will come back, look on the bright side, youve found your fault, I hope so anyway.
Good luck, Ken

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken that was my next question how to clear them, I will disconnect the negative hopefully they will stay away. The 02 sensor I got only seems to be one part no for that particular type with the plate with 2 holes and it was a denso part no DOX-0110.
I have found at least one or 2 that are hopefully sorted just the lean mix code that I don't think is related to the 02 or temp sensor as they I believe were causing it to run rich. thing is first time I checked before renewing anything there was no fault codes stored, that's what has me worried unless I stuck the wire in the te2 terminal instead of te1.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleared the codes Ken run it while I was flushing the cooling system and codes stayed away, I will have to see if its the same after taking it for a run. I wont be able to get back to it till thurs so update then.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good luck, i don't have much experience regards the O2 and whether a bad one will give a rich or lean signal, I guess now it could do both? I think you have to be careful with the wires if you are splicing a new connector. Is yours a grey import, I know a lot of ex Japanese cars found their way to Ireland, I say this because you say the sensor has two holes, I know the type you mean, it's just that UK cars have a screw in O2 (like a spark plug), screws into the downpipe just below the heat shield behind the radiator.
Good luck Thursday

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats interesting Ken, no mine came new out of the Neville johnstone Toyota dealership in Belfast a month after they were first launched in japan I have been meaning to ask you which side is your indicator stalk on, mines on the right hand side of the column(awkward when driving different vehicles), also the original windshield seems to be fitted as there is a factory badge saying made in japan stuck on the inside of it. I know the imports you are on about but I'm sure its not a grey import but around that time there was a lot of export of new Toyota vehicles coming north from the republic which were different specs from the uk model. Were the uk model ravs built in the UK or imported from japan new?.
My 02 sensor wires were a exact colour match for original wiring.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Strange.....my indicator switch is on the left, combined with the light switch. It's the same on US cars too, I bought a new switch for mine a couple of years back from Rockauto.
Mine was built in Japan, as far as I know only the US models were built anywhere else, in the USA.
Check your vin, try a parts supplier, a good source for parts, albeit expensive but genuine Toyota is amayama.com, if you look on there you may be able to decipher which market yours was built for, I'm guessing it was for japan, as you probably realised, their indicator switches were on the wrong side about that time, their speedos were also in mph too I think, I think they went to kph later but I may be wrong.
Could it be that a batch of Japanese spec cars made it to Belfast either by mistake or ahead of the UK spec ones?
Maybe Toyota UK can help, good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts