Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello RAV4 World,

I’m a happy owner of a new 2016 RAV4 XLE as of a couple weeks ago. I love just about everything about it so far, with one exception: my music situation. I have an older iPod classic 160GB that still works fine (used it in my previous vehicle via usb cord in an aftermarket Pioneer stereo head and other various devices) but not in my RAV. It crashes/freezes every 15 songs or so. Some quick research tells me that this is not an uncommon issue, unfortunately. I’m huge on having my full library of music on my car, and have spend quite a bit of money in the past on aftermarket stereo heads to make that happen. So, you can imagine my disappointment in getting a new car that has a USB port and displays my music on screen, yet crashes all the time.

I’ve read that some people have had success with USB 3.0 flash drives. I’ve given that a shot and had some limited success (64GB drive), but emphasis on "limited." I tried an app called Doubletwist to sync my iTunes library, but this has been a headache. It imported duplicates (sometimes triplicates) of many songs, and manually trying to delete the duplicates just lead to inadvertantly thinning out all my playlists. I tried just importing the playlists only, but it's only catching about half of what should be in each one. I checked the source folder it's pulling from, and these issues should not be happening, as there are no duplicates.

So at the moment, I just copied and pasted my library straight on to the USB drive. This works, but I have no playlists (very annoying for me, as I have taken a lot of my time in the past dutifully sorting my music) and it takes at least 5 minutes after starting the car before I can actually browse anything. So, what have you guys been doing? I'm not against buying an mp3 player, but new iPods are stupid expensive and I don't need all those bells and whistles (like wifi, bluetooth, camera, etc. - I just want something to play my music!) What devices have you folks been using for music in your RAV? Are there any basic mp3 players out there that work with Entune? Or, what method have you been using for a USB drive to work properly? I have about 9500 songs in my full library, but more important is getting my playlists in order than simply loading all the songs in one place.

For anyone that has had good success with playing music in their new RAV, please let me know. I appreciate any assistance!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may not like my answer, but here it is:

It's time to move on from your old pre-iPhone technology. Buy any smartphone and stream via bluetooth. It works well and solves all of your issues. That's what Toyota & all other car manufacturers are catering to now. They don't care about iPods or USB drives anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may not like my answer, but here it is:

It's time to move on from your old pre-iPhone technology. Buy any smartphone and stream via bluetooth. It works well and solves all of your issues. That's what Toyota & all other car manufacturers are catering to now. They don't care about iPods or USB drives anymore.
You're right, I do not like that answer one bit. I have moved on from that technology generally speaking (I have a Samsun Galaxy S6) but I doubt I can fit my 9600 song library on it, and a quick google search tells me the S6, for whatever reason, does not have a micro SD card slot for extra storage. Additionally, I have heard that streaming via bluetooth incurs a loss of quality. Maybe that's not the case, but it makes me hesitant to consider that route.

I don't really have a problem with my old iPod not working well, I understand it is an old piece of technology. Still, there has to be another option that works besides bluetooth streaming. I am having decent success with the USB drive for now, I can get my entire library on it and it works after 2-3 minutes of indexing everything, and still allows me to play whatever album I left off on in the meantime. Still can't get my playlists to show though, and that's a deal-breaker for me. I guess my best option would be to look into a more modern, relatively cheap mp3 player, as new iPods are too expensive thanks to all the bells and whistles that I don't need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After poking around Amazon, it looks like my best bet may be an old ipod touch. I found one that's 64GB with bluetooth capability for about $100. Any other ideas that are less expensive are welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a $5 audio cable and plug my iPod Classic into the vehicle's Aux port and listen to it that way. Of course, I have to navigate the songs/playlists via the iPod, and nothing displays on the head unit. I thought about getting a newer iPod, but I wasn't convinced I wouldn't have similar issues with that, so I went the cheap route.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
A thumb drive is all you need. $5.
Old proprietary audio formats from iTunes without proper tags or artwork won't produce happy results either. MP3 files with proper tags is what you want.

Be aware that any time you make the slightest change to the drive, the system needs to re-index the entire drive before browsing and searching are possible. There are several older threads here about the process. Once fully indexed the system will be ready to browse within a few minutes of power-on. If you're in song mode, once the number of files on the drive pops up on the screen, its ready to browse.

Again, absent proper tags you won't have any success at all. I have about 6000 MP3 files on the drive and its working great.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sad, but Toyota Entune does NOT support any type of playlists.
There is no way to play music by order you want.
Not even "Play by Folder" support if you play from USB.
Nobody found solution how to play music in order.
The workaround is only if you edit mp3 tags. But this is annoying.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yikes, I'm glad that I don't have an Ipod and that all of my music is on my premium Spotify account on my phone and I connect by bluetooth.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My solution to the USB playlist issue was a micro 64 GB stick that cannot get bumped by some external force. I have about 7500 files in it. On my Honda Odyssey, the USB stick has all the songs in folders which were essentially playlists. As you have found, Entune will not deal well with folders. Also, Entune has a folder limit of 999 songs. I got around all this by changing the album name on my songs to match the name of the folder. For example: I had a folder called Country, so I changed all the songs album names to Country. I did this kind of thing for each folder and the associated songs. I then loaded all the songs into the root directory of the memory stick (no folders). Entune indexed all the songs by album name and voila that became my playlists. The only folders I have on the stick is for Audio Books. Once the indexing is done, there is no wait to hear a song. As rdgrimes says there is no wait if there is no change to the stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts