Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a chatter, kind of metallic-y but also plastic-y over washboard roads from the front driver-side. Noticed sway bushings were looking slutty so replaced them. While front end tautness increased noticeably, unfortunately the noise is unchanged. All suspension links feel tight enough by hand. When I kick the tire closest to the door I can replicate the metallic sound, which leads me to think... ball joint? Bearing? Rusty dust shield? Inner tie rod? Though both don't appear to have play. Any ideas from those who have hands-on experience troubleshooting this issue? TIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
It could be a wheel bearing based on what you describe. Does the noise change when accelerate/decelerate? Do you hear it on the road/highway, or only on bumps?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
We had the right front strut go bad on our 2006. Really banged hard over the smallest of bumps but was silent on perfectly smooth roads. A replacement strut fixed it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
worst case scenario......steering gear(rack). in my situation i replaced all the items you mentioned, then did the rack.
so easy diagnosis would be to jack up, remove wheels and pop the outer tie rods while still attached to the inner(rack) out of the steering knuckle, turn the steering wheel left/right and check for movement....even the slightest play in the end of rack where the inner attaches to it would resonate noises. the inner t/rods are replaceable on your model year, that does help to minimize the noise, ultimately the rack in my case was the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise isn't reciprocal or change pitch or anything based on speed. I can make a similar noise kicking the inner tire as I can driving over washboard roads at 5 or 50 mph.

To the other posters, I may buy a pair of those strut/spring assy kits and try that next. I'm dreading it being the rack, but if the struts don't cure the noise I'll probably attempt an inner tie rod end first, then maybe even a control arm before putting my wallet on....The Rack. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and I'll update this thread as I go down the list for future reference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts