Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an 07 I-4 base 4WD Rav4 with only one original remote key, connected to a 3rd party remote. I assumed it was because the original remote part of the key was broken (i.e. went through the wash in a pocket)

Turns out the aftermarket remote isn't to replace the original, but to drive an after market alarm system. Wasnt happy about that till I discovered it includes remote start, which is hard to complain about.

I can't be trusted to keep just the one key. The original does not have a transponder in it, so that simplifies things a lot, but I have this nagging fear that it used to have:

What if previous owner pulled the transponder out and taped it inside the steering column to enable the remote start?

On one hand there is some tape on the ignition, like duct tape softer. On the other hand there are no visible signs of tampering on the original key.

Should I even worry about this? I guess my fear is if it's taped in there it'll fall out and strand me sometime. Or if I get another after market key with a transponder it'll cause a conflict and shut the car down, etc.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The 07 base model did not come with a transponder...
Unless the OP is in Canada or a few other countries!

If the OP were to provide a little more info , we could give him a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much!

The 07 base model did not come with a transponder...
This is probably good enough for me,since there's no evidence of anything having been glued in or pried out of the transponder slot in the original key. (Careful as I was, you can tell I pulled it out of the aftermarket one I bought.)

Unless the OP is in Canada or a few other countries!...
"OP" is original purchase? I should have saved the Carfax, but I'm pretty sure first owner was in New Jersey.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
"OP" is original purchase? I should have saved the Carfax, but I'm pretty sure first owner was in New Jersey.
In forums like this, OP refers to the Original Poster, which was you in this case. In my previous post I simple said If the OP is in Canada or a few other countries, then he could have an immobilizer in his RAV. Since you are in the USA, you definitely don't have one in your 2007.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In forums like this, OP refers to the Original Poster, which was you in this case.
I see, thanks! Yes I'm as new to the forums as I am to my new old Rav4.

Now I understand, I'm in the US, so original answer meets my need, but your follow up adds value for others in other places. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts