Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trunk door swings wide open and is damaging my bumper. Is there a piece missing that I'm not aware of?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
You should have a "check strap" that prevents the door from opening too wide. The driver's door should have one also. This is a picture of a 4.1, but yours should look similar:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found it. There is a space that looks like a bolt was there to prevent the door from swinging all the way back. I do have a picture but having difficulty adding it to forum.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
It looks like it's just missing the pin. You should be able to get a bolt and locknut from the local hardware store, pull the strap out of the door with some pliers, then fix it.
Uh…no, it's missing more than just the pin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG I love you guys!!!! Thanks so much! I don't know how I loss this piece in the first place. Sometime over the years but not having it has caused a huge crack to that right end bumper from the door weight leaning on it. I'm going to order the part and thanks for the ebay link as well.

You all are the best

·
Registered
68 Posts
Uh…no, it's missing more than just the pin.
You say that as if it's true. What else is missing? The part attached to the body is there. You can see the nuts which hold the door side piece are still there, holding it in place. The strap looks like it's poking out slightly from the door - you can see it sticking out of the hole it slides in/out of, and you can see the hole on the end of the strap where it attaches to the body mount with a pin.

Uh, what else do you see that's missing?

·
Registered
68 Posts
OMG I love you guys!!!! Thanks so much! I don't know how I loss this piece in the first place. Sometime over the years but not having it has caused a huge crack to that right end bumper from the door weight leaning on it. I'm going to order the part and thanks for the ebay link as well.

You all are the best
Before paying bucks on ebay, see if you can pull the metal strap out of the door - from the picture you posted, it looks like it's sticking out slightly - there's a hole in the end. That metal strap slides in and out of the door. You can probably pull it out and attach it to the body bracket with a bolt - you may even have one laying around which will fit.

Replacing the whole thing is much more of a job, since you'll have to remove the trim on the rear door because that part of the strap mounts from the inside of the door.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the pin in the first picture looks like it's going to pop out the top and fall off, which I think would then make it look like the picture leeleebb1 posted.

As others mention, try pulling the doodad out and see if you can muscle it back, then use a screw to keep it in place for now.

My bolt had sheared off at the bottom only and I would hear a noise as I open the door. I got someone to get me a replacement from Toyota. Since the bolt is hollow, I shoved a screw in there to help reinforce it from shearing off again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts