Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Try this if you are having issues with the Qi wireless charger...

9887 24
Like many, I've had zero success in getting my phone to charge with the Qi wireless charger included in my RAV4 Prime. No matter where I placed it, it would charge for approximately 20-30 seconds before it would stop and the orange indicator LED would start to blink.

I've read a couple of references about potentially fixing the issue by changing the charger's frequency, which supposedly could be accomplished by pressing and holding the charger's power switch. I decided to give that a go today, and I had no success. I tried holding the switch when powering up (it wouldn't actually power up at when doing that), and holding the switch when already powered up, which didn't appear to do anything (and didn't even shut the charger off for that matter). The phone just kept disconnecting when testing just as always.

In the process of trying a few other random things, I decided to press the power switch twice while it was powered up, and interestingly the green LED turned to orange. Hmmm... So I powered the charger back off, and then back on again. The LED was green as usual, and then plopped my phone on the pad. The LED turned orange, the charge indicator on the phone lit up, and shockingly enough, it continued to charge without disconnecting. I removed the phone and placed it back numerous times, and it always starts charging and continues to do so, even when the phone isn't precisely lined up dead center. I let it go for 10-15 minutes a couple of time, and it never disconnected.

I'm not positive that there wasn't a combination of other things that I tried that ultimately culminated in a functional charger for me, but I believe what did the trick was (intentionally verbose :) ):
  1. turn the vehicle on (or enable accessory mode)
  2. insure the phone is removed from the charging pad
  3. if the charging pad is on (green LED lit), turn it off via it's power switch
  4. turn it back on via it's power switch (green LED lit)
  5. press the charger's power switch twice consecutively (you should see the LED turn orange)
  6. power the pad off via it's power switch
At this point, you should be able to turn it on (green LED), put your phone on it, and hopefully it'll work for you as it now does for me. Note, that there may well be multiple settings and thus if this procedure doesn't work the first time, perhaps try it again.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Like many, I've had zero success in getting my phone to charge with the Qi wireless charger included in my RAV4 Prime. No matter where I placed it, it would charge for approximately 20-30 seconds before it would stop and the orange indicator LED would start to blink.

I've read a couple of references about potentially fixing the issue by changing the charger's frequency, which supposedly could be accomplished by pressing and holding the charger's power switch. I decided to give that a go today, and I had no success. I tried holding the switch when powering up (it wouldn't actually power up at when doing that), and holding the switch when already powered up, which didn't appear to do anything (and didn't even shut the charger off for that matter). The phone just kept disconnecting when testing just as always.

In the process of trying a few other random things, I decided to press the power switch twice while it was powered up, and interestingly the green LED turned to orange. Hmmm... So I powered the charger back off, and then back on again. The LED was green as usual, and then plopped my phone on the pad. The LED turned orange, the charge indicator on the phone lit up, and shockingly enough, it continued to charge without disconnecting. I removed the phone and placed it back numerous times, and it always starts charging and continues to do so, even when the phone isn't precisely lined up dead center. I let it go for 10-15 minutes a couple of time, and it never disconnected.

I'm not positive that there wasn't a combination of other things that I tried that ultimately culminated in a functional charger for me, but I believe what did the trick was (intentionally verbose :) ):
  5. press the charger's power switch twice consecutively (you should see the LED turn orange)
At this point, you should be able to turn it on (green LED), put your phone on it, and hopefully it'll work for you as it now does for me. Note, that there may well be multiple settings and thus if this procedure doesn't work the first time, perhaps try it again.
Thank you this.

What you are implying is that the "double click" of the power switch might be changing the charge current to the internal coil allowing for a stronger charge signal to the phone. In essence allowing for a potentially thicker case to be used. I will try this with a thicker case I already have experience with. It marginally works but the thinner case is more reliable as my charger sits currently.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What you are implying is that the "double click" of the power switch might be changing the charge current to the internal coil allowing for a stronger charge signal to the phone.
It could be adjusting the the charge current, the coil position (it is movable), or the frequency. The fact the it changes the LED status is a pretty good indication that something was changed. Try as I might, I've not been able to find any detail on the Panasonic Qi charger that is used (at least in the Prime). All I know is it did the trick for my Samsung Galaxy phone (in a 2 layer Otterbox Symmetry case).

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
This is what is in my 2019 manual. Do they still have this bit of information in the Prime manual?

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Circle Number

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,811 Posts
Love seeing people dig in to get something working and relay the info; accidental or not! Great to hear of your success!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
So I was curious and went out the garage. I put the car in accessory mode and it was quiet. I turned on the QI charger and had never heard it make noise before. Ok, actually, I never paid attention.

I turned it on and the green light came on. I double pressed the button and sure enough the light turned orange and stayed orange. I turned it off then back on. Same noise. I place the phone and it started to charge.

I should have tried this next part before the double pressing of the button so I do not have a comparison of this test. Ok, disclaimer out of the way.

Now knowing that it sounded like something is moving when you power on the charger, I repositioned the phone on the pad. I had my company iPhone 8 on me so I had room to move the phone around on the pad (my iPhone 8+ would not have space to move much for this test).

With the charger on and the phone was charging, I moved the phone forward on the pad (over the power button). I heard the phone disconnect from charging and the charger made a movement noise and when stopped, the phone resumed charging. So I tried a few more positions and each time it appeared that the charger was moving to find the sweet spot of the phone. Now, is the coil moving when this happens, I don't know, but it did seem to work in a way that makes sense for a moving car. If the phone moves and the charger would seek it out again. Which is much cooler than the stationary QI chargers I have on my bed stand and work desk. I have seen this QI charger out and there is a space between the pad and the mechanism. I wonder if the coil can move upwards so the coil is closer to the pad for thicker cases.

Now, did the double press turn on this undocumented feature, time will tell.

What actually did the double press do to the QI charger?

Here is a very cool video. I found this after I wrote all of that stuff about moving coils. I was pleasantly surprised to see the animation in the video showing exactly what I thought was happening. Did Toyota forget to turn on the feature and by double pressing the power button, thanks to you, we now have a fully functioning QI charger?

Panasonic Introduces Wireless Charging for Every Vehicle | Panasonic North America - United States

Ok, so I went further and found that Panasonic just released this moving coil technology in 2021 so there is no way my 2019 would have this but it sure functions like it's described.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, is the coil moving when this happens, I don't know, but it did seem to work in a way that makes sense for a moving car. If the phone moves and the charger would seek it out again. Which is much cooler than the stationary QI chargers I have on my bed stand and work desk. I have seen this QI charger out and there is a space between the pad and the mechanism. I wonder if the coil can move upwards so the coil is closer to the pad for thicker cases.
I was aware that this charger had a moving coil assembly based on research, and well, I've heard it doing so. :) I believe the coil only moves on a level plain beneath the charger surface, vs. towards or away from the charger surface. Again, not sure if the procedure has anything to do with that or not at this point.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will it allow an iPhone 11 Pro to charge WITH a case on?
I suspect that if you are able to charge just fine without a case, then this procedure likely won't be of much (or any) benefit in helping to charge the phone in a case. If you can't charge at all, as was the case with my phone, then this may help.

Give it try and let use know.

·
Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
1,089 Posts
I suspect that if you are able to charge just fine without a case, then this procedure likely won't be of much (or any) benefit in helping to charge the phone in a case. If you can't charge at all, as was the case with my phone, then this may help.

Give it try and let use know.
Not so good with the case. Oh well. I can always use a wire with any of the other four ports. I use the main port for wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to post your findings and this trick. Sadly it didn't work for me.

I have a Pixel 5 in a thin, clear silicone case that charges well until the pad/phone begin heating up from extended wireless Android Auto use then the Qi pad starts flashing orange 3 times (signalling it has a bad connection to the phone) or it will cycle from orange to green as if it is having trouble detecting the phone. I can hear the little motor in there moving the pad around when this is happening.

I've all but given up on using the Qi pad. I'm probably going to remove it and put my OEM non-Qi tray back in so I can take it apart to see how it ticks. I might remove Panasonic portion all together and Jerry rig in an aftermarket pad into the OEM tray.

Looks like someone over on Toyota Nation took their Highlander OEM Qi charger apart also and they posted pics! Looks to also be Panasonic made.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for taking the time to post your findings and this trick. Sadly it didn't work for me.
I wish that I had a definitive answer/process, but alas I (still) do not. I've determined that it's still a bit flaky, but at least it has been working to some extent (versus not working at all as was the case).

One other thing that you may wish to try, I've found that turning off the charge pad, then placing the phone on it (centered as well as you can), then turning it on seems to increase the probability for success. The charger has a moving coil, and perhaps it's able to position itself better with the phone present during power up.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
The Qi charger does OK when it's just the phone alone, but it doesn't passthrough enough current to both charge the phone while using wireless AA, the battery charges very slow but once the phone/pad begin to heat up from the combination of AA and the charging the charge rate seems to slow significantly to the point where it isn't enough and the battery begins to discharge even though it's in the charging state, then all together stop until I power down the Qi pad and let things cool down.

I got mine on eBay since I didn't have the tech package on my RAV4. I wanted something to match the interior brown trim but also look factory. Oh well.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
I'm supposed to receive mine this month, thus the reason I've been trying to get the Qi charger situation figured out. :)
Mine has worked really well, I struggled a bit to get it working but once I figured out how to change the USB mode of the adapter it has been flawless. There is only one small problem I have which is when using the Google Assistant sometimes the last 1/2 second of the voice output gets cut off. I think it may be an AA bug though, not a problem with the adapter.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
360 Posts
This procedure, whatever it does exactly, seems to have improved my flashing orange light (would flash 3 times very frequently) issue with my iPhone X with very thin case. Thanks! I can now go back to wireless CarPlay! Fingers crossed!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts