Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 I-4, 2.5l RAV4 and I was starting to get the knocking noise at first start up......(14,100+ miles)
The TSB is 0146-10 for the Intake VVTI gear assembly

Took her in and the dealer said yes, it there, they needed to "record" it and get Toyota's OK. Two trips with leaving the car so they can check in first thing in the morning... OKed by Toyota and they ordered the parts.. :)

Took the car back and left it for the 3~4 hour repair (Thursday afternoon and planed to pick it up Saturday morning).
Went to pick it up and was told it was not done! :eek: The reason was they needed a part :shrug: Also had DTC's of P0012 & P0015.
Monday morning I call and find out that the the VVTI gear they got was defective...:wall They had to order another, (via Pony Express)
Finally the following Tuesday I called and found out my RAV was complete!
Eight working days in the shop.
At the very least it was all covered under warranty and the dealer did give me a loaner on the first Saturday (after I asked).

The work order shows the part twice along with six gaskets..

So, if you have this work done make sure the dealer has the proper parts...

Good Luck,

Yuma,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rav4 I4 Cold Engine start - Metallic Grinding noise

Appears I have the same problem with my 2010 Rav4 I4 ... metallic grinding noise when starting the cold engine; 23,000 miles probably been doing this for 3,000 miles... took two trips to the dealer before they acknowledged the problem. Had to leave it overnight so that they could have a mechanic start the engine when cold before they understood the severity of the problem... they repaired problem today and told me that the parts that they installed were defective and giving them a fault (???)... I am not sure that this all makes much sense... but they stated it was related to the gears on the end of the cam and the timing ... so it sounds like this is the same as the TSB0146-010 problem... dealer stated they would have to order new parts and repeat the repair procedure... going to take at least another four days in the shop...:(

·
Registered
115 Posts
2010 – 2011 Camry Engine(s): 2AR Transmission(s): 6MT, 6AT

2009 – 2010 Highlander Engine(s): 1AR Transmission(s): 6AT

2009 – 2010 RAV4 Engine(s): 2AR Transmission(s): 4AT

2009 – 2010 Venza Engine(s): 1AR Transmission(s): 6AT

Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 1AR-FE and 2AR-FE engines may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for​
approximately one second. Follow the repair procedure below to address this condition.

3.5 Hours to replace camshaft timing gears,,

This TSB applies to vehicles produced
BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Camry:
TMMK 4T1BF3EK#BU123642
SIA 4T4BF3EK#BR090887
Tsutsumi JTNBF3EK#A3005237

APPLICABLE WARRANTY​
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.​

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the update Yuma, just wondering if this fixed the noise ?
Yes, so far....:cool:

The other day I thought I heard some loud grinding again but I may have just imagined it... :eek:

If it returns I WILL post!

Lateck,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got mine back yesterday... appears to have been fixed with the cam gear replacement. The service manager was very familiar with the problem... vvt cam gear failure during cold start ... grinding sound for about one second... doesn't repeat until engine cools down completely and oil drains back to sump... we will see how this goes over the next 20,000 miles... but initial impression is that they have sorted it out and fixed it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for posting! Most have not been re posting after the repair in these forums, hope thats a good sign that all went well ? I have been holding off and trying to record the sound when it happens this way I could give the dealer a heads up. It's supposed to get cold again here in the NE so I'm sure it will be happening more frequently and will be time to get my Rav4 in for the repair.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup

I am so glad that I found this thread! I have been experiencing this for years & wasn't sure if it was just normal, since the engine has a timing chain.
I have a 2010 RAV4 still under the Certified power train warranty which is for 7 years or 100,000 whichever comes first.
I had taken it in to my dealer years ago with this complaint & all they told me was to leave it overnight so that they could hear it.
Never did they mention to me that it was a "Known issue" and that there was a TSB for it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
This seems to be happening a lot. I don't know why it isn't a recall. Because it is not a safety issue?:serious

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
This seems to be happening a lot. I don't know why it isn't a recall. Because it is not a safety issue?:serious
Correct. For the NHTSA to become involved and order a recall, it has to be a safety issue. For things like this, Toyota issues a TSB and sometimes a service campaign.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Seems Lexus has been having some big issues with this as well...........56 pages of unhappy Lexus owners dealing with this same issue.

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads) - Page 55 - Club Lexus Forums

I wonder if the 3.5 V6 uses the same cam gears as the 2.5 I-4 ?
we had the same issue. That 3.5L V6 all the way up to 2009 had that noise. Not all were affected but my 2007 was. Repairs on the V6 are quite high as it requires the engine to be removed to access both intake and exhaust banks. I believe the cost is around $3K CDN when I was researching. From what I can remember, it was clocked at over 20hrs for the job. I traded it for a 2012 V6 Rav before something catastrophic happened...I had the rattle for awhile before I was able to put a finger on the cause.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the sound is benign. Nothing is breaking. No?

·
Registered
123 Posts
not yet. It's the chain that slaps up against the valve cover. The cam timing pin does not fully engage into the hole when the engine is turned off. When you remove it, you'll see where the pin is hitting the gear, there's an dent just off the hole where it is suppose to be fully seated. There have been reports of the timing going out of wack on startup...followed by a loud bang. At that point, you'll have to check for damages and do the fix (provided everything else is intact). So either at home, if you are capable or tow to the dealer to have them fix it.

When you hear this sound, the best way I can describe the situation is like a jack in the box. You never know how many cranks you have left before that bugger pops.

I see you have a 2011, you should be safe. My 2012...so far so good. Though I miss my 2007 still. Longest I ever kept a vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts