Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum,

In 2014, I entered the market for a new vehicle. Originally, I wanted a Tacoma due to it's size and durability. Many of the reviews I read described how roomy it was, etc. However, once I test drove one, I just didn't fit in it well at all. Also, I didn't think it had enough space for my family and just felt cramped overall. After this, I ended up purchasing a Double cab Tundra. I went a little overboard and got it blacked out, etc. It's a good-looking truck, no doubt. However, I have this big nice truck, but I don't drive it much. I rarely have a use for a truck honestly, although it is nice to have IF I need to haul something, but like I said, it's rare. Now, my dilemma. We recently returned from our second vacation in two years where we rented a RAV4 for a week. Honestly, I LOVED it. Not only is it fun to drive, but it has more room for my big self than the Tacoma had, but enough room for my family and cargo space. It's perfect for small parking spaces, quick trips to the grocery store and great on gas mileage. Not to mention, takes up less room in my driveway or garage.

At this point, I can't stop thinking about getting rid of my truck and getting me a RAV4. I loved it that much. My only hesitation is maybe safety in a car wreck for my family and the rare instance I need to use my truck for hauling something.

Any thoughts? Anyone else ever got rid of their big bad truck for a RAV4? Not that I care what my friends say, but I'm sure they'd never downsize to a RAV4. Just curious of the forum's opinions.

Nice to meet you all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hello forum,

In 2014, I entered the market for a new vehicle. Originally, I wanted a Tacoma due to it's size and durability. Many of the reviews I read described how roomy it was, etc. However, once I test drove one, I just didn't fit in it well at all. Also, I didn't think it had enough space for my family and just felt cramped overall. After this, I ended up purchasing a Double cab Tundra. I went a little overboard and got it blacked out, etc. It's a good-looking truck, no doubt. However, I have this big nice truck, but I don't drive it much. I rarely have a use for a truck honestly, although it is nice to have IF I need to haul something, but like I said, it's rare. Now, my dilemma. We recently returned from our second vacation in two years where we rented a RAV4 for a week. Honestly, I LOVED it. Not only is it fun to drive, but it has more room for my big self than the Tacoma had, but enough room for my family and cargo space. It's perfect for small parking spaces, quick trips to the grocery store and great on gas mileage. Not to mention, takes up less room in my driveway or garage.

At this point, I can't stop thinking about getting rid of my truck and getting me a RAV4. I loved it that much. My only hesitation is maybe safety in a car wreck for my family and the rare instance I need to use my truck for hauling something.

Any thoughts? Anyone else ever got rid of their big bad truck for a RAV4? Not that I care what my friends say, but I'm sure they'd never downsize to a RAV4. Just curious of the forum's opinions.

Nice to meet you all.

Thanks.
I have never downsized but I have owed my Rav for 7 years and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Good Luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an older Tundra, 2004, and a 2016 Rav4. Can't really compare them as they are a different as chalk and cheese. Still use the truck a lot, for towing boat and a utility trailer. When the truck dies I won't replace it as by then I hope to be able to get by without it. If you can get by without the Tundra, downsizing to the Rav would make sense. I use my truck a lot, I enjoy driving it and it keeps the kms down on the Rav.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was you 3 months ago.....In the past I have had 2007 dbl cab tundra 5.7, then sold it and got a 2015 CM Tundra 5.7. I used the truck as a truck, then months later, I ended up using it to commute. I loved the truck but it was useless using it to commute. I traded it for a 2016 rav4. I do sometimes regret getting rid of the truck. I loved the space but the rav4 is as roomy as it gets. I have a trailer to make up for the haul....family is not really big yet, but traveling with the rav4, space gets filled fast.... truck was awesome just throwing stuff at the back....good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road for about a year. Great vehicle, as I was using it for rehabbing houses, but in-between house projects, it wasn't very practical for me. Each time I needed to take passengers, I was borrowing my wife's 2011 RAV4. I ended up selling the Tacoma and using her RAV4 on the next house rehab. With a trailer hitch as well as the folded back seat area, there wasn't any thing we couldn't do with the RAV that I thought I needed the Tacoma for. I ended up buying my own 2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid and haven't looked back. Great vehicle, great mileage, great technology on the Hybrid.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you won't need much prodding to get that RAV4. I, too, had a Tundra. Bought it brand new and kept it a total of just 2 months. It was my first truck and I didn't really need a truck. My fault and my loss when I traded it in for a Camry.

You'd be surprised how much room the RAV4 has in the back even before the rear seats are folded. Fold the seats down and I would bet you won't miss the Tundra at all. Good luck and please post pics of your new RAV4. :)

p.s. If you can wait another year the RAV4 will be redesigned for the 2018 model year. And we would all look at your new vehicle with envy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2007 Tundra, a 2015 Tacoma, a 2016 RAV4, and a 2002 Nissan Xterra. Each car/truck has it's own purpose and I have no intention of getting rid of any of them.

I hate losing money on cars, so I've never "traded in" a car in my life and I've never resold a car I bought new until the car is at least 12 years old. I also hate that feeling of regret when I get rid of a car and then 2 weeks later I'm going "Damn! I wish I still had that car. It would be useful now!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I'm still in a gray area about getting the RAV4, although I have spoken with some dealerships about pricing. I got a quote for an out the door price of $34,000ish on a 2016 AWD Limited, but I really don't need all the extra bells and whistles. Maybe XLE at most, although I see that there is an SE trim. I guess it's just a more sporty looking version, but I like them. Still looking...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just the same thing, I had to make a purchase summer 2015 because someone pulled out in front of me and totaled my 2001 Nissan Xterra, which insurance says was worth nothing of course no matter what I'd done to it. So with a day to figure something out before taking the family 300 miles to board a cruse ship, getting a load of BS from the other persons insurance because he was driving a rental car, and knowing I was going to need a car for work regardless I bough a 2012 Highlander. It was nice, roomy, and big. Plenty of power just not so great city fuel mileage. Kept looking at the Rav4 wishing I'd taken more time.... And after making my 12th payment I ended up at the Toyota dealer. On a whim, just wanted to test drive one never been in one at this point. Needless to say I own a 2016 Hot Lava Limited two tone interior, and yes I lost money. Negative equity and it was rolled over.... Went through my week of buyers remorse, but week two has been great. I get around the tight parking spaces with ease and at current I am on track to spend almost $50-60 less this month in gas driving the same amount. Like dabat23 I'm looking at my hitch options, figuring on mounting a Curt hitch within the next 30 days for a Hitch Cargo Carrier and small trailer. The one thing to remember is everything seems to be an accessory now, first time I've ever not gotten the cross bars with roof rails, it didn't even have the cargo mat. So I've got extras to buy. I kept my Highlander rear cargo net because it didn't even include the cargo cover anymore. Regardless I'm happy with my decision. Soon I should have my AVS Aeroskin and vent shields I just ordered, as they're the first must haves for any new purchase. I do wish Toyota would get onboard with Android Auto. EnTune isn't the worst thing I've seen, but close.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went from a 2500HD extended cab with an 8" bed to my RAV, and couldn't be happier. More interior room, just as good in the snow, (well, not in over a foot of it, :D ) fits in the garage, and gets twice the mileage. I don't miss putting $80 in the tank either. It fits through a drive-thru, can park anywhere, and is easier to wash too. I still have a 4x4 pickup, so hauling stuff and really deep snow isn't an issue. I do worry about the safety factor though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, Zapp, I have to admit when I drive my Tundra I just feel safe in it. When I look down and see the little compact car next to me, I feel VERY safe! :) And I don't get that same feeling driving our RAV4 but the RAV has other pluses the Tundra doesn't have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar downsizing. But I went from a 2011 Venza Limited V6 AWD to a 2014 RAV4 Limited AWD. I needed the Venza to tow. But once I sold my gilder trailer (about 2000 lbs) I did not need the V6 in the Venza. I love the way the 2014 RAV drives its larger than the older RAV 4s models and is excellent in the snow (VIP here in New England). The Venza did not have great gas mileage, and it was just too big a car.

Ironically I just bought a boat and I am back to my towing dilemma and while I'll use my RAV4 to tow the boat locally I am going to get a pickup or 4 Runner to tow long distance. But I'm going to keep my RAV4 as I probably won't get that much for it on a trade in once it goes over 75K. I love the RAV4 and with the back seat down it seems to have as much room as the Venza.

BTW I got screwed on the trade in for my Venza by the local Toyota dealership, I'm still pissed off about that but I only have myself to blame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts