Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm curious if anyone would have an idea on if you could put a turbo or supercharger in a 3rd gen 4 cylinder Rav. I found a Scion TC Garrett T3/T04E kit would work with custom fab and forged internals. I would like to at least push 300hp. I know this sounds like a complete waste of money, but that doesn't matter. I want to make my Rav a sleeper. If it's not too much of a hassle I'd start this the June of 2018. I haven't found any useful posts about this, I think it's worth to wreck some civics :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Thanks,
Nick

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Welcome and I hope you find the information you're seeking. There are many attempts/questions here at turbo/supercharging the V-6. This is the first time I've seen someone wanting to modify the 2.5l four cylinder so drastically.

It will all be custom work and a custom tune will be required. No doubt the expense will be staggering IF you can get it to work at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
It would be complicated to install a turbo not to mention being very expensive. It would be cheaper to just buy a RAV4 with a V6 which already has 269 HP and it would be much more reliable.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Now if you lived in some hotbed of performance like California instead of Alaska it would maybe be easier to find the help you'll need. But then in CA there'd be a bunch of them running around. In AK you'd have the only one. Just don't try to pick on my BIL's RAV4 V6 4WD. He'll be moving to the Anchorage area after he sells his home in Slana.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
I don't believe that even with a turbo or supercharger you would be able to get anywhere near to 300 bhp out of the RAV's 4-cyl. engine. If it were possible that engine likely wouldn't last for long, although it might with some extensive and expensive modifications.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all,

I'm curious if anyone would have an idea on if you could put a turbo or supercharger in a 3rd gen 4 cylinder Rav. I found a Scion TC Garrett T3/T04E kit would work with custom fab and forged internals. I would like to at least push 300hp. I know this sounds like a complete waste of money, but that doesn't matter. I want to make my Rav a sleeper. If it's not too much of a hassle I'd start this the June of 2018. I haven't found any useful posts about this, I think it's worth to wreck some civics :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Thanks,
Nick
This is a joke, right?

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
This is a joke, right?
Probably not a joke but certainly a pipe dream. Would require around 20 psi of boost and a budget for all the drivetrain parts it invariably destroys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scion tc has the same engine a 2AR-FE as the Rav4. Yes, I understand this is a waste of money. I'll need to know what the tranny can handle. I'll probably end up swapping a ton of it. I'm trying to have a ridiculous sleeper. The Garrett T3/T04E is a 10psi turbo that's 55mm turbine. Massive, that by itself is $800 easy.

I am being serious about this. No jokes....
Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I'm trying to have a ridiculous sleeper. The Garrett T3/T04E is a 10psi turbo that's 55mm turbine. Massive, that by itself is $800 easy.
Time it spools up and hits it's 290 HP my V6 RAV4 would be gone!

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
I mean no disrespect but there have been so many wannabe turbo owners on this site it is rather amazing. Always the same questions, they find out it's impossible or will cost $10,000 and they are never heard from again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
30 roll in 3rd will build enough boost when i down shift i will be gone before your v6 catches gear. This is just ridiculous....

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
I mean no disrespect but there have been so many wannabe turbo owners on this site it is rather amazing. Always the same questions, they find out it's impossible or will cost $10,000 and they are never heard from again.

Perhaps since much of the auto industry has gone turbo in its quest for more power in smaller displacement engines and with greater fuel economy, some in the general public nay have been to to believe that retrofit turbos in their existing vehicles will convey at least the increased power benefit without having to buy a new vehicle. ???

Some other threads about this: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/gtsearch.php?q=turbo%20

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,
Nick
Hello Nick,

I guess the simple answer is 'Yes', you can put this turbo on a 3rd gen 4 RAV4. It was said earlier in this thread that your engine is the same as in the Scion. Tuning it may be an issue but I'm sure you already did you homework on tuning options for the Scion. Give it a shot! Good luck!

Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Scion tc has the same engine a 2AR-FE as the Rav4. Yes, I understand this is a waste of money. I'll need to know what the tranny can handle. I'll probably end up swapping a ton of it. I'm trying to have a ridiculous sleeper. The Garrett T3/T04E is a 10psi turbo that's 55mm turbine. Massive, that by itself is $800 easy.

I am being serious about this. No jokes....
Thanks,
Nick
no offense, but if you're serious, you have a lot more research to do. There is more to this than just sheer turbo size. For linear power you're actually better off with a smaller, twin scroll turbo to avoid lag and build boost quicker.

It's also not just the transmission. Since you're in AK, I'm assuming you have 4wd, have you thought about how that would hold up? What about brakes? What about the fuel system and engine management? What can the internals of the ravs 2AR holding before you throw a rod through the block? All critical pieces know before doing a proper build. I have added forced induction to my fun cars in the past and helped work on several friends cars so I have some experience in this dept.

Sure the Scion shares the same engine code, but that is like saying you can just slap the supercharger from a lotus evora 400 on the v6 rav bc they're both 2GR engines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know the 2AR internals are rated to 350 hp. I am going to get forged internals. I figured to get a smaller to turbo to have a faster spool up time. Possibly do a twin turbo with smallish turbine.

Note this is in the first stages of figuring out what's possible.

I am currently contacting a few shops and dealers in town about the whole ECU differences and how the 4wd will be affected. I plan in the near future is to get slotted rotors. I've emailed Descendant about the scion tc turbo and how the ECU piggy back could be retrofitted if possible. Or if there is a solution to that, I'm waiting on a reply.

I'm quite suprised I've have so much attention to this thread.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
246 Posts
If this turbo kit is for the exact engine or close then a good part of your work is done. You will have to research how knowledgeable the seller is on all the fuel injection enriching algorithms it will need. Make sure you get the crap semi-synthetic Toyota WS AFT out and replace it with some full synthetic Amsoil or Redline, also I would have a huge trans cooler ( at least 10X16) as your #1 and #2 trans mod. I would also find another tuner that is a second opinion go to person to bump off of. You may have to pay him an hour or two consulting fee so you can get his full ear and brain, since he is not selling you anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"A piggy back can be adapted either through pnp harness or hard wire. You will be ok on 6lbs boost as long as proper oiling takes place. I would believe the trans and the differential will be the weak point.

Chris H.
Dezod Motorsports"

I emailed Dezod about what I could run into when installing turbo.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
30 roll in 3rd will build enough boost when i down shift i will be gone before your v6 catches gear. This is just ridiculous....
It's obvious you have not driven a RAV V-6. 6.4 seconds 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at for a grocery getter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't believe that even with a turbo or supercharger you would be able to get anywhere near to 300 bhp out of the RAV's 4-cyl. engine. If it were possible that engine likely wouldn't last for long, although it might with some extensive and expensive modifications.
Only if the engine is heavily modified to accommodate a supercharger.
If BRP can squeeze over 300 bhp from a 3-cyl. engine, imagine what could be done to a 4-cyl. engine.
Intercooled supercharger that would require special oil due to ceramic bearings. The engine will have a need for premium fuel.
Not sure if there is even room for one in the first place (hood clearance, air induction routing, etc.).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts