Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to turn off the annoying beep that comes from inside the dash when I put my 2.4 Auto into reverse? It is not parking sensors, just an annoying, loud beep.

I'm in New Zealand, so it's a Japanese imported model with 7 speed auto.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
You're not being ignored. The reverse beep is (literally) unheard of here in North America so we're at a loss as to any advice. Hopefully someone has come across this and can offer help.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Is it possible to turn off the annoying beep that comes from inside the dash when I put my 2.4 Auto into reverse? It is not parking sensors, just an annoying, loud beep.
Since you mention "it is not parking sensors", I'm not sure if you are saying you RAV doesn't have parking sensors, or the sound isn't like the pulsating beep you expect to hear from your parking sensors.

As already stated, the standard 4.3 models in North America do not have any beep when shipped from the factory.

I did have the optional Toyota parking sensors installed by the dealer prior to delivery. This system does give a short beep when the gear selector is first put into reverse. It will not make any additional sounds unless there is an object within range of the bumper sensors. Just thinking the single beep you hear may be normal operation if you have parking sensors.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Since you mention "it is not parking sensors", I'm not sure if you are saying you RAV doesn't have parking sensors, or the sound isn't like the pulsating beep you expect to hear from your parking sensors.

As already stated, the standard 4.3 models in North America do not have any beep when shipped from the factory.

I did have the optional Toyota parking sensors installed by the dealer prior to delivery. This system does give a short beep when the gear selector is first put into reverse. It will not make any additional sounds unless there is an object within range of the bumper sensors. Just thinking the single beep you hear may be normal operation if you have parking sensors.
I have a 2010 with the same dealer-installed system that you have. Since he has a Japanese imported RAV(with a 7 speed yet!), perhaps he has something we've never seen here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I could very well be wrong but I think that his RAV might have a reversing
beep like trucks have. This is to warn pedestrians that a large vehicle is reversing.
Mind you I have no idea how to disable it perhaps an auto electrician could?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I wonder if he is referring to a truck reversing beeper?, some companies put them on minivans pickups, especially ones carrying enough stuff to obstruct the rear window. My neighbor has one on his Mazda BT50 ute for when he is reversing the camper van.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don't think it would be the backup warning to alert pedestrians since he says

Is it possible to turn off the annoying beep that comes from inside the dash when I put my 2.4 Auto into reverse
The reverse warning sound needs to be on the outside if it is to be of any use.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I don't think it would be the backup warning to alert pedestrians since he says
The reverse warning sound needs to be on the outside if it is to be of any use.
True. I guess till we hear back from the OP, we won't know if it's just one beep or if it's continuous.
We'll wait..............:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyones' replies. I've not been online for a few days. Just to confirm the reversing beep is continuous, only inside the car and nothing to do with parking sensors. It has aftermarket parking sensors fitted with beep and light up when near something.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
As already stated when North American RAV's are shipped from the factory they do not have any interior beeps when placed into reverse. The only beep that would occur is when the optional parking sensors are installed by the dealer prior to delivery.

So here are a few questions to help narrow thing down

1. Did you buy your RAV new?
  2. Did this beep develop recently, or has it always been there?
  3. Were the aftermarket parking sensors already installed at time of purchase, or did you have them added personally?
  4. When you say a "continuous beep" do you mean a steady tone, or a continuously pulsating tone.

Since the beep only happens when you are in reverse, it is almost certainly related to a reverse warning system. That could be either an interior "parking assist" system like you have, or an external "reversing warning" system which is intended to alert pedestrians that you are backing up.

How did you determine that the beeps are not from the parking assist system?. Perhaps you are assuming that the parking sensors will only produce a pulsating beep when you approach an obstruction, but in reality they will also emit a steady tone when a sensor is dirty or malfunctioning.

When you are backing up towards an object do you still get the normal pulsating beep from the "parking assist" at the same time you are getting this annoying steady beep?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Thanks for everyones' replies. I've not been online for a few days. Just to confirm the reversing beep is continuous, only inside the car and nothing to do with parking sensors. It has aftermarket parking sensors fitted with beep and light up when near something.
Odd that a reverse warning system would sound an alert inside the vehicle, since you already have an "object sensing" system(sounds the same as the one I have). Perhaps has something to do with your car being a Japanese export model. Not something we have in the US.
Maybe a trip to your local friendly Toyota dealer is in order!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is beeping inside so the driver knows they are in reverse. They are on all Japanese imports into NZ. These vehicles are from the local Domestic Japanese market. I have a Rav V6 import that also beeps, my wife's Toyota is NZ new and has no beep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts