Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Ever since I bought this vehicle I have noticed that the Turn signal Lever makes a huge THUD when returning back to the "neutral" position after you (click it and) make a Turn. It's a very obstrusive noise and totally distracts me. I am not referring to the blinker noise, which is quite muted. For now, I tend to just use the lane changer without the actual click.

Is there a way to make this lever sound smoother/muted? I tested this on other Rav4 (including the 107) and it's the same issue there as well. Checked on a friend's Camry and the lever was much more silent and so it was on several other makes.

2015 Limited w 22k

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pull off the steering cover, it aint to hard to do with a screwdriver, There must be few screws to take out. Once off, you will be able to see what put a restriction and do that annoying sound. That's what I would Do.

No other way to know what is wrong un there than go see Cleary.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Be careful. Airbags are dangerous and expensive.

Reactions: SoltanG

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
If you're brave, do like D3stro said and remove the cowl from the steering column. These switches generally use a spring-loaded ball bearing that engages a slot--that is the detent. I would try to put some non-conductive grease in there (silicone or teflon) and see if that quiets it down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi folks,

Ever since I bought this vehicle I have noticed that the Turn signal Lever makes a huge THUD when returning back to the "neutral" position after you (click it and) make a Turn. It's a very obstrusive noise and totally distracts me. I am not referring to the blinker noise, which is quite muted. For now, I tend to just use the lane changer without the actual click.
2015 Limited w 22k

My understanding is that IS the way to use the Lane changer, hold it until your move is completed.
I would think that if you lock it, there's not enough steering wheel rotation, to release it, if doing just a lane change.

Ott.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi folks,

Is there a way to make this lever sound smoother/muted? I tested this on other Rav4 (including the 107) and it's the same issue there as well. Checked on a friend's Camry and the lever was much more silent and so it was on several other makes.

2015 Limited w 22k
I like it just the way it is. Sound is just the right level. Need to get ears checked. Thank you Toyota, much better than my Subaru.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like it just the way it is. Sound is just the right level. Need to get ears checked. Thank you Toyota, much better than my Subaru.
Perhaps you are hard of hearing? My hearing is perfect :)

Any who if you don't have anything useful to contribute then don't troll.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is no accident that Toyota would just randomly threw a noise maker in there. I am sure it is well tested by Toyota. As I indicated, sound level is fine for the limited time it is on the ON position. However, if you do not like it, no problem--you can mute it or remove it. Easy to do.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
This is no accident that Toyota would just randomly threw a noise maker in there. I am sure it is well tested by Toyota. As I indicated, sound level is fine for the limited time it is on the ON position. However, if you do not like it, no problem--you can mute it or remove it. Easy to do.
I'm not sure you two are "discussing" the same noise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the dealer adjust the lane change on mine to 6 blinks rather than 3. They only set it up to 5 but still an improvement. I rarely click it into the on position, pretty close to never. Yesterday I made a point of doing so. When I finished my turn and it clicked off it wasn't all that much of a sound. Take it to the dealer. That's what warranties are for. Or 2, just live with it and ignore it. Or 3, trade it in for one you test drive and find acceptable on sound levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts