Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Thnkz, :lol:
Those are LED's right? But won't those get in the way of your eyes very often since they are very bright and mounted on the mirror itself.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Price difference is only $15 cheaper and that thing protrudes out a bit too much for my taste. i'd love it to be seamless and appear to be stock.

1)_Though my alternative is much much cheaper, it's blue and therefore not a street legal color:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SIDE-MIRROR-SIGNAL-LED-LIGHTS-FOR-ALL-MAKES_W0QQitemZ4592649247QQcategoryZ29695QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2)_ This look isn't as clean but tons cheaper: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-L-E-D-Side-mirror-signal-light_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42611QQitemZ4593195204QQrdZ1

Thanks for sharing slayer.

Anyone else with ideas on alternative methods or products that won't break the wallet?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Ugh, am I the only one who thinks those things are extremely tacky? Stock or not?
Nope, I agree with you.
:wink:
I think my oem mirrors are just fine.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'd rather the yellow side markers.
In some countries, does the RAV come with these side markers? I've seen them here in some pictures but never thought to ask. Anyone know where I could easily buy a set of yellow side markers that flash with the turn signals?

Thanks. M.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Marcutio said:
I'd rather the yellow side markers.
In some countries, does the RAV come with these side markers? I've seen them here in some pictures but never thought to ask. Anyone know where I could easily buy a set of yellow side markers that flash with the turn signals?

Thanks. M.
Check the links above.

·
Registered
875 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Ugh, am I the only one who thinks those things are extremely tacky? Stock or not?
Yes, you and rav4don are the only ones. the oem look is great b/c the arrow is integrated into the actual mirror which makes it seamless. It's flush with the mirror and there's no additional attachment. Drivers have full visibility of the entire mirror and doesn't distract them from driving. It's perfect.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
zoomie said:
nouse4aname said:
Yes, you and rav4don are the only ones. the oem look is great b/c the arrow is integrated into the actual mirror which makes it seamless. It's flush with the mirror and there's no additional attachment. Drivers have full visibility of the entire mirror and doesn't distract them from driving. It's perfect.
Yeah, but you've got a flashing light in your freakin mirror.

Talking about it being tacky, not whether it inhibits the driver's view or something.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I've had the MUTH mirrors on my 1996 model for several years now. The angle of the lights in the mirror makes it so the driver barely notices them. IMHO... they work great in heavy traffic. Drivers to the sides seem to be more polite when it comes to giving me room to change lanes... not that my 2DR takes much room :roll:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just funny b/c this is the first time i've ever heard of someone describing them as tacky. Some people aren't as excited about it as I am, but no one's ever downplayed them. so i guess yeah, you two are the only ones....in the world.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if people felt the same before the third brakelight? Remember that? Tacky or not, I find the side mirror signals better as a safety feature for people who might be in your blindspot to give them warning when you decide to turn abruptly without noticing them being there. It also helps you when you see people signaling to merge into your lane with you being in their blindspot. You have time to honk, speed up or slow down to give them space. I like' em cause they serve a purpose. It's also great for people who can't be bothered to check their turn signal lamps every once in awhile to see if they're working. At least if they got a lamp out, you could still see their LED signal mirrors. Don't tell me you guys haven't noticed lots of cars with either one or both brake lights out and only the third one working or vise versa? Not really a good thing being behind them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Slayer said:
I wonder if people felt the same before the third brakelight? Remember that? .
Slayer, I sure do. My 90 454SS truck doesn't have a third brake light. Frankly, I wish it did.

Regarding your comments on safety, I would tend to agree that the mirrors you are describing would most probably be a good safety feature.

But I still don't like the looks of them as I prefer the oem style and color. I don't like the idea of flashing lights in my rear view mirrors, and I wouldn't want to pay the cost to buy or bother to install them.

But that is just my opinion. I don't wish to offend anyone (and hope I haven't) by stating my personal preference.

I am certainly not saying that no one should get them, nor am I bad mouthing the product. If anyone likes them they should get them. :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I always wanted those signal lights, but i've never seen one in orange, which is the only color i can get that i like. I don't like them red, preferably green but i think those are illegal since zoomie said the blue ones are :(.

And you guys are right about the signals on heavy traffic. One time i was on the freeway and here comes a huge expedition next to me, and since they are so long, i didn't see the turn signal cuz it was on my blind spot and i couldn't see the ones on the front (for some reason), but i saw the side mirror signal, and since they didn't try to "make" their way in, i let them go infront of me and they got off the freeway. Just sharing my experience :p.

G

·
0 Posts
I should get some. They would probably encourage me to use turn signals more frequently :mrgreen:

·
Registered
771 Posts
(Slayer wrote)"........when you decide to turn abruptly without noticing them being there."

Who does that? Are you mad? Your responsible for your blind spots not other people. If they're in it and you switch lanes its your A$$ that's in the wrong.

Can't depend on everyone to obey your turn signal behind you. After all there are alot of idiots out there.

Sorry dude. M. :roll:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Marcutio said:
Who does that? Are you mad? Your responsible for your blind spots not other people. If they're in it and you switch lanes its your A$$ that's in the wrong.

Can't depend on everyone to obey your turn signal behind you. After all there are alot of idiots out there.

Sorry dude. M. :roll:
Of course not which is why I like those signals cause they give forewarning for people who you might no otherwise have noticed in your blindspot. That's the point. You can't expect everyone to be attentive all the time even though they should. There's always going to be that one time, or several times for that matter, when you might miss a car in your blind spot. It's especially good for beginner drivers who hardly have the experience of driving and scanning all their mirrors. It's safety feature for both you and the driver's around you.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Best safety feature is your own eyes! I've been driving for decades and never once just happened to merge into another lane and not "notice" a car there. ??????

I guess I'm a little more carefull than others. I would like the side markers because they look cool not because they keep the other guy next to me safe. He should worry about himself but I'll be sure not to drive into the side of him with my new side-marker indicators on when/if I get them.

Later. M.

·
Registered
451 Posts
garfieldgurl
Miriam, I see this post is 5 years old (ha ha) but did you ever get power side mirrors for your RAV4 with the LED turn signals embedded?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts