Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 2007 RAV4 has a security system installed for the last owner. Was several months before another driver informed my the tail lights were out. I replaced and checked all the fuses and all worked. Then, about half a year later, turn signals stopped er working. Found 3 blown fuses - 2 under dash, one under hood - driver side. Still no turn signals. Replaced the flasher relay with a unit from Autozone. Still no turn signals or emergency flasher. Fan works since I replaced the fuses.

Checking the fuses under dash in this car is a job for a contortionist. I managed once with a mirror and flashlight. Any suggestions - which fuses could affect turn signals/emergency flasher?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
There must be reason why those 3 fuses were blown. Could be a damaged wire or a faulty car usb charger?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There must be reason why those 3 fuses were blown. Could be a damaged wire or a faulty car usb charger?
I had blown a USB port fuse a few months earlier. But after replacing that, everything was working fine.

But months later, turn signals stopped working. I missed them because I do use them all the time.

The cab fans stopped at the same time. I replaced a fuse under the hood (that was easy to get at and continuity test).

I also replaced a few fuses under dash related to flasher. Then the fans worked. But the flasher and turn signals still didn't work. I replaced the turn signal flasher with an aftermarket unit from Autozone. Still no flasher or emergency function.

I would check all the fuses under dash. But is so damned hard to get into any position to do that. I think the only way would be to remove the driver seat and lay on my back on a cot facing up at below the dash.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I had blown a USB port fuse a few months earlier. But after replacing that, everything was working fine.

But months later, turn signals stopped working. I missed them because I do use them all the time.

The cab fans stopped at the same time. I replaced a fuse under the hood (that was easy to get at and continuity test).

I also replaced a few fuses under dash related to flasher. Then the fans worked. But the flasher and turn signals still didn't work. I replaced the turn signal flasher with an aftermarket unit from Autozone. Still no flasher or emergency function.

I would check all the fuses under dash. But is so damned hard to get into any position to do that. I think the only way would be to remove the driver seat and lay on my back on a cot facing up at below the dash.
I don't see anywhere that you changed the bulb for the turn signal light just the flasher.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 203k miles
54 Posts
So at the current state your amber lights are constantly on when you try to use the turn signal but not flashing, correct?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see anywhere that you changed the bulb for the turn signal light just the flasher.
For this car, you can't just change the "bulb". The rear lights are complete units incorporating LED lights. And they are not as cheap as the flasher. And it's not like the bulbs both wore out at once one day. The trouble started with plugging in the trailer wiring from car to trailer. And after starting the car with that connection, the lights were all blinking wildly at the same time. The lighting units were all working. It was what controlled the lights that were suspect. I started with the flasher because I'd checked all the fuses and the flasher was cheap and easy to access and replace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So at the current state your amber lights are constantly on when you try to use the turn signal but not flashing, correct?
Actually the initial problem, when I started the engine with the trailer wiring plugged into the trailer was all lights flashing wildly and hearing the flasher relay clicking wildly about four times a second. After that, the tail light worked but turn signals and emergency lights did not work. Turned out a fuse had blown again. This one was under the hood.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
For this car, you can't just change the "bulb". The rear lights are complete units incorporating LED lights. And they are not as cheap as the flasher. And it's not like the bulbs both wore out at once one day. The trouble started with plugging in the trailer wiring from car to trailer. And after starting the car with that connection, the lights were all blinking wildly at the same time. The lighting units were all working. It was what controlled the lights that were suspect. I started with the flasher because I'd checked all the fuses and the flasher was cheap and easy to access and replace.
The rear turn signal uses 7440 incandescent bulbs. The brake lights are the only bulbs that are LEDS. Now that you mentioned the problem started when installing the trailer wiring I suspect it could be trailer wiring. There is a trailer controller that could be faulty also. Disconnect the controller and see if the turn signal works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts