Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never give my car to anyone else to drive, but this time my friend needed and literally begged me to borrow my car.

well, short story. I stopped at my house and I got down from drivers seat and asked him take the car.
He came to drivers seat and started tuning ignition key while car was still running. :frown It was making lots of noise and I realized what was happening, he was trying to start car while it is already running. I got my car back today morning and as of now everything looks good and driving well. :serious

Could it have potentially caused wear and tear or any problems which could show up soon?

Will car disengage starter and does nothing if this was done? he did it could of times before I told him what was going on. :crying:crying

·
Registered
694 Posts
If he did it only once and for a short time, most likely there is no damage. The starter and its gearing are designed to deal with accidental activation with the engine running. Now, doing it repetitively and frequently will eventually result in serious damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
all starters have solenoids, this part pushes the gear in place like bicycle sprocket on a threaded bar . The sound you hear is the friction and over-spinning when not making proper connecting. most of the time it can sound God aweful, lol it will not get damage on a Toyota , but otherhand if it was a Chrysler or GM it would be damage a lot quicker.
Theres a reason why American vehicles are cheaper. Toyota are built for Quality to outlast 30 plus years

Next time dont be so hesitant to lend out your suv, its only a vehicle thats meant to be driven. A 787 dreamliner being parked at any airport is costing money just sitting there. It needs to fly.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Malcolm, I don't necessairly agree with your conclusions but no matter. Since the posts are from three years ago and the OP hasn't posted since then, it's likely he or she has moved on to another vehicle.

Reactions: andaconda
1 - 5 of 5 Posts