Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you actually turn off the fan? Obviously I've tried pressing the on/off fan button.

When the fan is in "OFF," it still blows air out the vents. Its just a little bit of air, but its still noticeable.
I want to turn the fan actually OFF. I don't want ANY air coming out of the vents. None.

If I adjust the heat/cool setting while the fan is "OFF", it adjusts the temp of the air coming out of the vents. On my old car, when I got into it on a cold day, the air inside the car was mild and I left the heat/ac fan off. Now with my rav4, I have to micromanage the heating/cooling setting or I get cold air blowing on me, EVEN WHEN THE FAN IS OFF.

Off topic, I hate how there is a long delay when changing the fan level to when the amount of air blowing is actually adjusted. On my old car, the fan level was changed instantly. This hvac system is a disaster. FYI my old car was 20+ years old. Toyota is going backwards. Why not give the user actual control over the hvac??

/rant

·
Registered
52 Posts
How do you actually turn off the fan? Obviously I've tried pressing the on/off fan button.
View attachment 166352
When the fan is in "OFF," it still blows air out the vents. Its just a little bit of air, but its still noticeable.
I want to turn the fan actually OFF. I don't want ANY air coming out of the vents. None.

If I adjust the heat/cool setting while the fan is "OFF", it adjusts the temp of the air coming out of the vents. On my old car, when I got into it on a cold day, the air inside the car was mild and I left the heat/ac fan off. Now with my rav4, I have to micromanage the heating/cooling setting or I get cold air blowing on me, EVEN WHEN THE FAN IS OFF.

Off topic, I hate how there is a long delay when changing the fan level to when the amount of air blowing is actually adjusted. On my old car, the fan level was changed instantly. This hvac system is a disaster. FYI my old car was 20+ years old. Toyota is going backwards. Why not give the user actual control over the hvac??

/rant
You might want to post the year and model of your vehicle. My 2021 Hydrid XLE has a different control face.

·
Registered
113 Posts
View attachment 166352

/rant
Years ago all car mfgs had the fan always on to provide positive pressure to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, which was happening way to frequently. It's a safety issue and I would avoid trying to disable it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its just passive flow through the system. If you don't press recirculate therr is always some vented air coming through

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
47 Posts
Check when the car is not moving. I did today and couldn't feel anything significant from the vents. There's definitely a breeze when moving faster though.

My previous Toyota was like that too. Also had a Honda which closed something when off so there was no flow at all. I prefer having a little air but I wish I didn't have to turn the system on and off again just to adjust the temperature of that air.

·
Registered
261 Posts
From my youth, it seems American cars have an "OFF" setting that stops air flowing through from outside into the vehicle. Japanese cars have a separate fresh/recirculate independent of "OFF". So for Japanese cars, you have to turn the system to "OFF" and recirculate for the air flow to stop (when moving). I can't say if this is still the case, but I do think OFF+Recirc will do the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts