Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I'm new to this site. Stumbled upon it by accident looking for aftermarket stuff for my new Rav4. This forum is very informative! After browsing on here for a long while I decided to join.

I seem to be in a unique situation with the Rav4. My wife and I both have a new 2006! We own mine and hers is a new company car. She'll only have it probably for a month or two as she's supposed to get a mini-van but for now we have them both :)

I have a 4 cyl 4X2 limited in Black. She's got a Pacific blue base 4x2 with the 6 cylinder. Besides the six there isn't much else to rave about with hers. I've got the nicer stereo and dual temp controls. Her radio isn't close to the upgraded six disc changer either. That being said she kills me on pickup and flat out HorsePower. What's nice is that I do have the option of driving a six or a 4 cylinder model anytime I get the urge.

After reading some of the posts I felt I'd like to add my two cent's in about the big 4 vs. 6 dispute going that seems to pop up in other posts.

There is no doubt that the 6 will eat the 4 cylinder anyday of the week and anywhere. When you put the peddle down it really pushes you into your seat. Plus there doesn't seem to be any pull left or right when the engine is gunned. At least my wifes seem's to stay arrow straight. I attribute this to Toyota's new steering design.

However there is NO way that the six get's close to the same mileage as my 4cyl. I've read other posts on here stating that they do but the two we have don't come close. I have been getting around 45 miles more on a tank of gas than she has with the larger engine. Neither of us drive like maniacs either so were about on par with our driving. That may not sound like a huge difference to some but overtime that add's up to quite a cost in fuel savings!

I felt a little irritated reading other individuals stating that the few miles difference in the 4 was nominal. I don't think so. I love the power of the six but with the price of fuel going up I'll very pleased I went with a 4 cylinder.

These are simply my observations and I'm not looking to offend or argue my point. I just wanted to let perspective buyers know that if mileage is a big consideration when purchasing a Rav4 then go with a 4 as it is plenty adequate to propel the little Rav down the road. We drove a CRV and Saturn Vue and the 4 cylinder engines in those didn't come close to the Toyota engine.

Well thanks for hearing me out and thanks for all the wonderful info on this site!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Coralpo, welcome to the forum.

I agree with you about the statement you made about the MPG on the 4 vs. the 6. People have a way of over-stating their fuel efficiency when it comes to bigger engines, me included.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum and finally someone who can do an honest comparison! I think most I4 owners knew all along that the difference was more than a little! I think the entire argument is silly anyway. Folks tha buy the six want the vroom and are getting plenty of that! The I4 owners are going to get a capable vehicle that is going to do better on gas especially in the city. Best thing is we all love our RAV4s! :D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I think whether or not you feel 3-4 mpg is a big difference between the four-cylinder and V6 is going to depend on your attitude towards fuel economy. Personally, for me that difference is small, and makes going for the V6 a no-brainer, even in an age of high fuel prices. But we can all agree that it's great that Toyota offers an engine choice to suit your needs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting. Do you and your wife put the same kind of miles on the car (city vs. hwy)? That works out to about 3 MPG. Another way of looking at it is that the 6 has to expend another 2 gallons of gas to travel the same distance. At the current national average of $2.50 per gallon, that is a $5 dollar savings. Assuming 3 fill-ups per month, you save about $15 a month or $180 per year over a 6. Still ordering a 6 myself though!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
monetnj said:
Interesting. Do you and your wife put the same kind of miles on the car (city vs. hwy)? That works out to about 3 MPG. Another way of looking at it is that the 6 has to expend another 2 gallons of gas to travel the same distance. At the current national average of $2.50 per gallon, that is a $5 dollar savings. Assuming 3 fill-ups per month, you save about $15 a month or $180 per year over a 6. Still ordering a 6 myself though!
Yep thats about right monetnj. I figured it would be just under $200 a year in fuel cost differecne between the two if there is normally only three MPG difference :D Then there is the insurance difference and ticket expenses :lol: But I am sure you won't be one of those getting the tickets :shock:

·
Registered
132 Posts
4 vs 6

I ordered the V6, but the way I look at it is this: The kid next door bought a Dodge Durango and gets 8MPG (EIGHT) around town......

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 4 vs 6

MoonRav4 said:
I ordered the V6, but the way I look at it is this: The kid next door bought a Dodge Durango and gets 8MPG (EIGHT) around town......
Good point! I sold my Nissan Titan Crew Cab to buy my RAV4 I4. So I went from 13-14 MPG to 24-25 MPG. Friends that amounts to roughly $1200 a year for me, which will more than pay for a month of daycare for my girls. Plus the RAV4 is allot more fun to drive, despite the difference in HP. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
sstarrx3 said:
monetnj said:
Yep thats about right monetnj. I figured it would be just under $200 a year in fuel cost differecne between the two if there is normally only three MPG difference :D Then there is the insurance difference and ticket expenses :lol: But I am sure you won't be one of those getting the tickets :shock:
Well, I never got a ticket in my "Inferno Red" PT Cruiser and it was MUCH more conspicuous back when I first got it in 2000 :D Everytime I think about the 4 weeks and counting wait I've had for my Rav, I remind myself of the 7 months I waited for my PT! That car also only gets about 19 MPG and it is a 150 HP four cylinder! Problem is that it is a very heavy car, especially for its size. Can you say underpowered? The Rav4, even the 6, will be a step up in gas mileage. Plus, it will be nice to own a car with a bit more thrill in the get-up-and-go department for once in my life. :wink:

·
Registered
132 Posts
4 vs 6

I would never tell anyone that they should have bought a V6 instead of the I4, or vise versa. People have their own very good resons for buying what they buy. If the V6 is what floats their boat, they will pay the extra $$$ for the gas. (I will) The neighbors Durango is what he wanted, so he makes other consessions to be able to drive it........

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before we I-4 owners start patting ourselves on the back, let’s get real. The RAV is no gas hog, but it’s no gas miser either. And, the V6 vs. I-4 fuel difference is trivial.

If $200 extra a year is a problem, then ditch the cell phone and save $600 or more per year. We’d all be safer and better off without everybody driving with one stuck to their ear anyway.

Also, folks would then appreciate the joys of driving by being fully immersed in the experience. Imagine hot oil and machine, the scent of country air, sunlight on chrome, the blur of the lines, EVERY NERVE AWARE!!! Driving is a RUSH.

Back to the point...we are such an affluent society. There are so many expenses we incur at this standard of living that there are many things to cut back on. If you can afford a new RAV4.3, then you know this is true for you at least.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I agree that the RAV4 V6 is no gas hog. Like many of us posted already, it really depends on your needs and priority. Not everyone finds drving such a rush, remember different stroke for different folks. If all you want is a communting car that is good in the snow and can carry some things on the weekend, then the I4 is good enough for that application.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Coralpo,

Could you actually check to see what the individual mileage is for the different RAVs? To say you "get around 45 miles more" on a tank leaves plenty of room for error, not to mention that that is under 3 mpg difference on a 16 gallon tank.

I'd be curious to see what the average over about 5 - 10 tanks of gas per vehicle, by actually checking the mileage based on the amount of gallons per fill-up. That will give a better estimate unless there are a couple of all-city or all-highway trips in the mix. It will also help account for the different shut-off points of different gas pumps.

But if the difference is 2-3 mpg, overall - the V6 still looks like the way to go to me.

As an example, for someone who drives 10,000 miles/year (I do around 6-7K), the difference between 22 mpg and 25 mpg (in the correct range, with the 3 mpg difference you approximately observe), the gas useage is only ~54 gallons more. Multiply that by current gas prices (~$2.50/gal locally), and you get $135/year more in gas. That's not much - equivalent to one latte' per week.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You got it...skip a latte' a week and the V6 won't cost you an extra dime!!!

I drive an I-4 by the way. When I said driving is a rush I don't mean V6 speed speed speed. It's all about getting off the #@$! cell phone and paying attention...anticipating every bend in the road, the stop light up ahead, the posted speed, a little goose up to make the green light, driving smart, saving gas, enjoying the experience of man and machine, and calling upon it to do your biding at your will.

America having a love affair with the automobile makes perfect sense. Ignoring that passion while having one's head in the cell phone does not.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
71GS455 said:
Coralpo,

As an example, for someone who drives 10,000 miles/year (I do around 6-7K), the difference between 22 mpg and 25 mpg (in the correct range, with the 3 mpg difference you approximately observe), the gas useage is only ~54 gallons more. Multiply that by current gas prices (~$2.50/gal locally), and you get $135/year more in gas. That's not much - equivalent to one latte' per week.
Yes the difference is one latte' per week, but I cant afford to drink latte' :D. I drink the freebie coffee at work.

BTW, I agree with RAV4HER, they should band all cell phones while driving.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I prefer free coffee too. Now if we could just work for a gas station our problems and the debate would be solved.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts