Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to just replace my two fronts rears still have life and getting close to replacing rav.
Is it ok to just put two newer fronts on?
I have a good deal on some but only two.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are only putting 2 tires on, the new tires always go to the back as the Rav is a FWD until the Rears kick in. You always drive to the ability of the front tires and with there being no weight over the back end there is a high risk of Hydroplaning if the worn tires are on the back.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
if the new tires are more than 3% bigger than the old, you are putting more stress/wear the transfer case, and will damage it. are the new tires still a good deal if you need to change the transfer case in 6 months?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Per the Toyota Service Manual, it is preferable to do all 4, as this provides the most consistent acceleration and braking. But it is acceptable to replace 2 at a time "to maintain nearly equivalent tread on both tires of an axle."

Sounds to me like more important to worry about side to side difference rather than front to back.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wanted to just replace my two fronts rears still have life and getting close to replacing rav.
Is it ok to just put two newer fronts on?
I have a good deal on some but only two.
You might want to consider going to 2 used tires (used tire dealer, auto recylcer etc.) to help get closer to the diameter of the worn tires that will remain on the vehicle and since you plan to sell the RAV soon anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are only putting 2 tires on, the new tires always go to the back as the Rav is a FWD until the Rears kick in. You always drive to the ability of the front tires and with there being no weight over the back end there is a high risk of Hydroplaning if the worn tires are on the back.
This is 100% correct and sound advice.

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
if the new tires are more than 3% bigger than the old, you are putting more stress/wear the transfer case, and will damage it. are the new tires still a good deal if you need to change the transfer case in 6 months?
Actually this isn't true altho it would be for many AWD vehicles. On the RAV4 the 4WD ECM will not engage the rear drive if it detects a 3% difference between the front and rear axles so no damage will be done.
I agree the best tires should go on the front since the drive is front most of the time (and all the time at more than 3% difference.)

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
New tires always on the back, unless you're good with opposite lock.
I agree for those who understand and make a habit of practicing "opposite lock." For the other 99% who are not intent on pushing the envelop the best tires should go on the driving wheels. In the case of the 4.3 & 4.4 RAV4s that's the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts