Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, does anyone have a really strange fuel gauge?
Mine gets the idea acroos regarding amount of fuel left, but is really weird, for example. After I fill completely, the needle is above the F mark like it should. By the time I get home it will be below, and for 75% of the tank it goes really fast, even tiny journeys make the needle drop considerably. But then in the last quarter of the tank, it stops and goes crazy. Like a solid day of hard driving and it won't move, but when I start it up the next morning it will have dropped well into the Fuel Light zone. But then after warming up and driving for a while, it will rise up and come out of the fuel light zone, and the light will turn off. Whats the deal?

And does anyone know for a fact what the differentials are on a 2001?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 02 has the same crazy fuel gauge. Ignore it and go by the number of miles since the last fill. Toyota knows about the issue and won't do a thing.

B

·
0 Posts
weird problem to have with a fuel gauge?? :?

and stranger still that Toyota won't fix it... seems like it would be a simple enough thing to fix.... obvisouly a badly designed float in the tank

·
Registered
771 Posts
Open Differentials with electronically controlled torque transfer from front to rear. The transfer part of the transmission has a Limited Slip inside so torque transfers when the front or rear slip.

In layman's terms of course.

As you can see I test mine quite often. :lol:

Later. M.

A

·
0 Posts
My '02 has the same problem you described with being nearly out of gas one minute and then having a quarter of a tank later. I do not have the problem you described about filling up the tank and having the gas gauge acting like it did. Mine stays on full and does not budge.

I did have quite a surprising discovery on a long trip I took recently. I had notice that I have not been filling my fuel tank to capacity. I usually fill the tank until the gas pump is tripped by the gas back pressure. BUT on this trip wanting to squeeze as much gas into the tank I was quite literally surprise by HOW MUCH gas I could still squeeze into the tank by going slowly and letting the gas in the filler neck settle down before squeezing in more. I have been getting as much as 2.0 to 2.5 more gallons into the tank.

Obviously the filler neck is of too small a diameter or there is inadquate venting in the filler neck to allow todays high speed gas pumps properly fill the tank on an 02 RAV4.

E

·
0 Posts
Kryten said:
ajlepel said:
My '02 has the same problem you described with being nearly out of gas one minute and then having a quarter of a tank later.
Same here.
Same here, especially old really cold days. Sometimes, I would arrive home with just under a quarter tank. The next morning (or after a long wait), after I start up my RAV4, the fuel light would come on, and I would notice that the needle dips below E, which causes me to freak out! However, after a minute or two of driving, the fuel gauge rises to the normal position and the warning light disappears.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Next time you’re at your mechanics look at the fuel tank closely.
You will see it is designed to be as low to the ground as possible and to disperse the weight evenly from LH to RH side of the vehicle.

All 4WD models have a Propeller Shaft that goes to the Differential so the tank has to contoured around it.
This divides the bottom of the tank Left and Right bottom into to shallow pools.

I believe there is only one gauge located on the fuel pump on the LH side of the vehicle. So it does not know how much gas is on the RH side when it is below somewhere near half tank. I guess one thing Toyota could do is put a second gauge and the 2 could calculate the average.

If you ask Toyota to fix this they will probably tell you to exit your vehicle, step on the sill and jump up and down to transfer the Fuel to the oposite side :lol:

Walt

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marcutio said:
Open Differentials with electronically controlled torque transfer from front to rear. The transfer part of the transmission has a Limited Slip inside so torque transfers when the front or rear slip.

In layman's terms of course.

As you can see I test mine quite often. :lol:

Later. M.
A limited slip differential limits slip, I do not think anythink electronically is controlled at all, and torque isn't transferred away from slipping tires, just not all of it is directed there.

front and rear are open, center is limited slip is what I gathered.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
A limited slip differential limits slip, I do not think anythink electronically is controlled at all, and torque isn't transferred away from slipping tires, just not all of it is directed there.

front and rear are open, center is limited slip is what I gathered.
Actually I believe the center is Viscous and on certain models before 03 like mine, you would have a rear mechanical rear LSD

Walt

·
Registered
771 Posts
Electronically controlled transmission = electronically controlled LSD(viscous coupling) in the rear of the transmission. Either way when the front or rear slip torque is optimized to the other wheels.

M.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marcutio said:
Electronically controlled transmission = electronically controlled LSD(viscous coupling) in the rear of the transmission. Either way when the front or rear slip torque is optimized to the other wheels.

M.
Interesting, I was under the impression there was no electronics at all, just plain open lsd open

B

·
0 Posts
ajlepel said:
My '02 has the same problem you described with being nearly out of gas one minute and then having a quarter of a tank later. I do not have the problem you described about filling up the tank and having the gas gauge acting like it did. Mine stays on full and does not budge.

I did have quite a surprising discovery on a long trip I took recently. I had notice that I have not been filling my fuel tank to capacity. I usually fill the tank until the gas pump is tripped by the gas back pressure. BUT on this trip wanting to squeeze as much gas into the tank I was quite literally surprise by HOW MUCH gas I could still squeeze into the tank by going slowly and letting the gas in the filler neck settle down before squeezing in more. I have been getting as much as 2.0 to 2.5 more gallons into the tank.

Obviously the filler neck is of too small a diameter or there is inadquate venting in the filler neck to allow todays high speed gas pumps properly fill the tank on an 02 RAV4.

this is NOT a good thing to be doing... the v volume of gas changes with temperature... the extra space is designed too allow for this expansion

When it comes to filling your gas tank, leave a little room for the tank to breathe. Continuing to fill the tank, after that first click of the nozzle when the pump shuts itself off, allows raw gas to enter the car's vapor recovery system. In hot weather, overfilling can be dangerous. The heat causes vapor to expand, and the tank needs some 'breathing room.' This can cause gasoline to leak back out of the tank through the filling tube, and creates a safety hazard by spilling onto the ground. and just wastes gas

M

·
0 Posts
bzride said:
Continuing to fill the tank, after that first click of the nozzle when the pump shuts itself off, allows raw gas to enter the car's vapor recovery systems
And that can also cost several hundred $$$ when the charcoal canister is trashed from overfilling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts