Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attachment shows two 50/50 Pre-Diluted Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant but one is $18 and the other is about $34. Top is labeled "Toyota/Scion" while the bottom is for "Toyota/Lexus". Is that the only thing that creates this price difference? Which one would be recommended to use if there is a huge difference?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I'd use the less expensive one.

Moved to 4.4 forum

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
$18+$12 shipping vs $33.66 free ship
Yep, I missed that. But over the years I've seen items that should cost $200 on eBay selling for $10 (with $190 shipping). Those sellers go on my never-buy-from list.

Reactions: MACK-MAN

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Should be the same coolant but according to the labels one is pre-diluted and the other is undiluted. The undiluted predictably is 2X the price of the diluted coolant.

PS - Disregard the part about one coolant being diluted and the other not. I completely blew it reading the labels..But both should be satisfactory and meet Toyota requirements.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Should be the same coolant but according to the labels one is pre-diluted and the other is undiluted. The undiluted predictably is 2X the price of the diluted coolant.
Not in my picture Jim. Both say DO NOT ADD WATER.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
One says Toyota, the other says Toyota / Lexus - the Toyota / Lexus has to cost more $$$ because it has Lexus on the label. ;)

Reactions: hellorav4world

·
Registered
449 Posts
In the 50's, 60's, 70's and most of the 80's, every mechanic I knew would order Chevy parts when they were working on a Caddy engine. Same part, half price or less. Good to see that the car companies and stealerships are carrying on a long and proud tradition.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

This is what I use - price $19.99.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be EXTREMELY reluctant to gamble on aftermarket coolant. Especially when you can get OEM one for about the same price ($43 for two jugs including shipping). It is even less if you go to the nearest toyota dealer.

Thanks for the advice! I ended buying Toyota's coolant just to be safe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Save yourself a chunk of money next time and just buy the undiluted. You get twice the amount of coolant and last time I went, it was actually cheaper than the diluted. Spend the extra money on some distilled water (to mix the coolant) and a nice lunch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Save yourself a chunk of money next time and just buy the undiluted. You get twice the amount of coolant and last time I went, it was actually cheaper than the diluted. Spend the extra money on some distilled water (to mix the coolant) and a nice lunch.
That's what I did. Someone on another forum insisted the diluted coolant is a different formulation. I suspect that is not significant.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Last time I checked the Toyota OEM Pink / Super Long Life coolant was only available as 50/50 mix. I think Toyota got tired of people not mixing it right. Correct me if I am wrong please. Note that the Red / Long Life coolant is not the same thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts