Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonderful day???? Moving along in bumper to bumper traffic, guy behind me rear suddenly rear ends me. Young kid. Bumper, and lower panel damaged and dent in the lift gate. Car has 520 miles on it. I love this car, 2017 Rav4 Limited Hybrid. Just makes me upset this was so avoidable. No doubt i'm victim to a texting/cell phone using driver. This has gotten out of control....

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Know your pain. Hopefully, it was minor, but I know it still hurts. Let us know what they determine the damage is. Yes, I see people on their phone, driving, all the time and have been concerned about this very thing happening to me. I honestly believe the penalties are not nearly strong enough for these purposeful distracted drivers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So sorry to hear this. Know your pain. Hopefully, it was minor, but I know it still hurts. Let us know what they determine the damage is. Yes, I see people on their phone, driving, all the time and have been concerned about this very thing happening to me. I honestly believe the penalties are not nearly strong enough for these purposeful distracted drivers.

Thanks for the understanding. The damage to the lift gate is what most annoys me. I doubt the dent can be knocked out. If not, then replace of the lift gate panel will be needed, thus requiring re-paint of the new panel. Blizzard Pearl not easy to match. The bumper is trashed along with the sensors. Information screen on the dash shows "fault" indicator. Monday I'll get this appraised. I doubt this "hit" was strong enough to cause any other damage. Everything seems to be aligned ok. So sad...still has me bummed!

Will update on Monday.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I understand. Had 11000 kms on my 14 rav before being hit by a jack ass. I now have a 16 hybrid. Tune fix on the 14 was very good but to me it was never the same. Your car isn't even close to being broken in yet. Sorry about your new car getting crunched.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wonderful day???? Moving along in bumper to bumper traffic, guy behind me rear suddenly rear ends me. Young kid. Bumper, and lower panel damaged and dent in the lift gate. Car has 520 miles on it. I love this car, 2017 Rav4 Limited Hybrid. Just makes me upset this was so avoidable. No doubt i'm victim to a texting/cell phone using driver. This has gotten out of control....
I know the feeling all too well. I had a coupe 2 cars ago and somebody put a dent in the rear left side the first day I took it to work. I only had about 80 miles on the car. The part that got me was I parked alone on the top level of the parking deck that day. So, you can imagine having a bad day at work and coming back to your new car to go home and seeing a big dent in the side of it to finish you off. Thinking about it still bothers me, but all I could do was get it fixed. I hope you can find a really good collision center to fix it up nice and new for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The real pain will manifest itself when/if you trade your Rav further down the road. Big hit on your trade in value because of the accident repair. Been there, done that!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The real pain will manifest itself when/if you trade your Rav further down the road. Big hit on your trade in value because of the accident repair. Been there, done that!
Not a concern....damage is minor, pictures will be taken. My cars are always pristine when sold or traded. Often sought after by neighbors and friends. I'm just annoyed this happened, its not a major repair. Monday I get it evaluated. i'm hopeful the ligtgate dent can be Paintless-Dent-Removal candidate process. Had this done on two prior cars, one a Mercedes. Amazing results, impossible to detect. We'll see if this can be done???

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a concern....damage is minor, pictures will be taken. My cars are always pristine when sold or traded. Often sought after by neighbors and friends. I'm just annoyed this happened, its not a major repair. Monday I get it evaluated. i'm hopeful the ligtgate dent can be Paintless-Dent-Removal candidate process. Had this done on two prior cars, one a Mercedes. Amazing results, impossible to detect. We'll see if this can be done???
IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Very aggravating accident, even more so since your RAV is new - as mentioned driving with so many distracted drivers seems to be getting worse. Even more concerning for me when riding my motorcycle! Let us know about the repair. IYours doesn't look like a big job but I had a much smaller dent in a more accessible place and the repair cost was $500.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Yeah, hopefully they will completely replace the rear door, in addition to the bumper. That would be my preference. I like the color.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very aggravating accident, even more so since your RAV is new - as mentioned driving with so many distracted drivers seems to be getting worse. Even more concerning for me when riding my motorcycle! Let us know about the repair. IYours doesn't look like a big job but I had a much smaller dent in a more accessible place and the repair cost was $500.
Yes, between cell/txt usage and god knows what other influences, motorcycle riding must be more defensive ride than fun ride. Car is bad enough. True, slightest repair can be surprising cost. God be with you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same thing happened to ours when it was new. We'd had it about 3 weeks and someone rear ended my wife after she got cut off and the car auto-stopped itself.

She said she probably would have hit the guy who cut her off (and would have impacted the driver's door), so that guy gets to avoid being in the hospital, and our new RAV4 gets to have its first mashup. :\

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same thing happened to ours when it was new. We'd had it about 3 weeks and someone rear ended my wife after she got cut off and the car auto-stopped itself.

She said she probably would have hit the guy who cut her off (and would have impacted the driver's door), so that guy gets to avoid being in the hospital, and our new RAV4 gets to have its first mashup. :\
Amazing how unfairly things work out at times! So we have these pre-collision devices up front...whats needed is a "rear battering ram" to deploy. Protection from the tailgaters, cell phone folks and alike. Maybe I jest, but maybe not so bad idea.

My car slated to have tailgate, bumpers and sensors replaced(WITH TOYOTA ORIGINAL PARTS). I emphasize because was warned that insurances companies often approve lower cost parts.

Glad no one hurt in your wife mishap....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amazing how unfairly things work out at times! So we have these pre-collision devices up front...whats needed is a "rear battering ram" to deploy. Protection from the tailgaters, cell phone folks and alike. Maybe I jest, but maybe not so bad idea.

My car slated to have tailgate, bumpers and sensors replaced(WITH TOYOTA ORIGINAL PARTS). I emphasize because was warned that insurances companies often approve lower cost parts.

Glad no one hurt in your wife mishap....
Yeah, that's the main thing, and if the guy behind her had PCS maybe nobody gets mashed up at all. In a few years that will probably be pretty normal.

And the people who designed the intersection should all be taken out and shot. (it's in Boston).

Our crash was just somewhat cosmetic stuff to the bumper and a dent on the rear gate so that it wouldn't open or close. Literally one 1.5 inch dent in the right place. :\

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that's the main thing, and if the guy behind her had PCS maybe nobody gets mashed up at all. In a few years that will probably be pretty normal.

And the people who designed the intersection should all be taken out and shot. (it's in Boston).

Our crash was just somewhat cosmetic stuff to the bumper and a dent on the rear gate so that it wouldn't open or close. Literally one 1.5 inch dent in the right place. :\

True, if car in rear has PCS stuff might be minimized. But thats aways off I'm afraid. Same type damage to mine as pic's show. These liftgates in SUV;s are rather vulnerable.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident so early. That would definitely tick me off. My 2016 RAV came with an impulse 3rd brake light that pulses 4 times when brake is first applied. Seemed like a nice option to combat the morons of the world that are now driving at epidemic rates.

May want to look into that option when doing your repair.

Third Brake Light Pulsing | Pulse The Safer Braking Technology

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to hear of your accident so early. That would definitely tick me off. My 2016 RAV came with an impulse 3rd brake light that pulses 4 times when brake is first applied. Seemed like a nice option to combat the morons of the world that are now driving at epidemic rates.

Nothing can avoid distracted, irresponsible driving. My incident totally caused by distracted driver. No brake light arrangement would have changed anything. Moving along in slow moving stop/go traffic, then suddenly rear ended by same car that was behind me for over a mile. Guy simply looked away(probably his cell/txt) and hit the gas....BANG! Driver was extremely apologetic, but damage already done.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nothing can avoid distracted, irresponsible driving. My incident totally caused by distracted driver. No brake light arrangement would have changed anything. Moving along in slow moving stop/go traffic, then suddenly rear ended by same car that was behind me for over a mile. Guy simply looked away(probably his cell/txt) and hit the gas....BANG! Driver was extremely apologetic, but damage already done.
You can say nothing could help, and in cases I would agree, but not all cases. SO you don't just give in, you do what you can do. I ride a street bike as well, and yes you can be aware and avoid. It sure doesn't hurt. I watch people around me and if I see a phone or them even talking I stay clear if possible. Doesn't make me safe for sure, but we are never entirely helpless.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts

I saw the Pulse system advertised in Toyota, while getting my last service. I have to say, I am considering getting it, and glad to hear you like it. It is just one more thing to try, to counter the purposeful distraction, which really pisses me off. If I see a person on a phone, or not paying attention behind me, when in bumper to bumper traffic, I increase the distance between my vehicle and the vehicle in front of me, so I will be less likely to need to stop suddenly. Not perfect, but just another small move to try and avoid a collision. I have looked at getting one of those LED signs, with moving words. I would have it set to: I see you! Give off your phone! Don't hit my vehicle! Repeating.

Reactions: KJPAT08
1 - 20 of 32 Posts